News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

the dark casual steampunks.

Started by nicromanov, July 21, 2010, 02:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vagabond GentleMan

Quote from: Auntie Ludmilla on November 23, 2010, 07:21:05 PM
Hello, I've nothing particularly to add to the discussion at the moment, just checking in, as this thread seems to be a natural place for me to skulk, being a wearer of both black and brown..... And I've been listening to a lot of Corvus Corax and Cultus Ferrox recently,so I'm guessing they come into the sub genre of battle metal...? I lose track of all the ruddy sub genres.

Right.  Inane sub-categories...
...and yet, with no small sense of irony, I'd argue very strongly that Corvus Corax shouldn't be called metal at all, no way no how.

They are Corvus Corax.  I think they're my favorite band...but if they're part of any category, it's one they invented.
Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.

Nikola Tesla

Dang ol' dark stuff...I experimented with lighter colors only to learn something about sunblock I never knew when I wore black all the time...it stains everything.  If one's collar isn't black it had better be brown, to disguise the orange discoloration that is sure to turn up.  And the sunblock can't go so...upshot is I'm sitting here posting this in a long black robe.  Yes, the type sorcerers wear in films.  Under it is a sweatshirt printed in a design inspired by the Sandmen...but the ones in Logan's Run, not the comics character.  They wear black though.

(I've recently been on a Logan's Run kick, though I have to admit the aesthetic there is as close to the polar opposite of Steampunk as any I've ever seen.  I can't really think of a way to blend the two.  There's also the problem that, like many [close to all] Logan's Run fans, I've been 29 for rather longer than most. ;)  Weird choice of get-up considering that.)

Dark casual steampunks.  I could fit in there, though I seem to be in the minority for being inspired by the second descriptor. ;)
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.

Argus Fairbrass

I'm in a black bathrobe and black n red slippers as we speak. Might pop to the shops in a minute. ;D

Sometimes I wish I had a school age child to embarrass, just like Uncle Buck!
Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

Semper Victoria

Quote from: Private Weasel on December 08, 2011, 08:17:42 AM
I'm not sure about dark, but in these cold days, I can't go anywhere without my military greatcoat. Lovely, green, toasty and warm.

Also dashing.

Oooo pictures please!

I'm in love with my brand new black velvet morning coat, with embroidered cutaways (just posted it in Playing Dress Up). It's very Dark Steamy. But I'm kind of afraid to wear it too often or it'll lose that new-coat feel, ya know?  ;D

Skeleduck

My Introduction: Who is Skeleduck, and what is she taking about?
Skeleduck's PenPal Request
---------
'As we staggered up the beach, she turned to her husband and said, "These guys must be crazy."
"Hush, dear," he replied, "they're British."
John Blashford-Snell: Mysteries

Unsubtle Pete

I am most definitely darksteam. When sober, more pics shall be provided. In the meantime, long dark coats

Spoiler: ShowHide

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog

Lord Wraste

Mmmm... Souixie.

I'm gearing up for the Steampunk World's Fair. Putting together some nice, slightly gothy stuff.

That coat is slick, Unsubtle. Where'd you get it?

Argus Fairbrass

I believe they are three different ones Wraste. I think they are all vintage influenced modern designs. The top one looks to be based on an army great coat, and the other two appear to be frock coats, with some rather snazzy details so I'm quite jealous. I'm particularly interested in the bottom one, that could be vintage. But although I've seen velvet collars, I haven't seen velvet covered revers and buttons before.

Flightless Phoenix

Hello all,

I think it's safe to say I fit into this category; after all my collection of long black coats is mighty.

In fact I just brought a new leather trenchcoat. I used to wear a leather trench when I was in college- until my bf at the time 'borrowed' it for about 3 months. He stretched it across the shoulders! In the end I made him buy it off me. I finally found one that fits properly last week, it's taken me a while because I'm significantly shorter than most trenchcoat owners! Love how invincible one feels when wearing a leather trench and DM steelies! People seem to worry about messing with me- even if they are accompanied by a lace dress and a top hat...

I've been a Goth for so long now that even my Grandma has stopped hoping I'll 'grow out of it', but although the aesthetic, the music, the literature and the atmosphere are all things that make me feel at home; the Goth community itself was never welcoming. I don't have any Goth friends despite living in a large city. The steampunk community is welcoming; you folks are all great. I've also discovered many more interests through exploring steampunk. So I'd probably call myself a Steamgoth (As Dark steamer seems to be more relevant to those of a Steampunk/* insert dark sub-genre here* Metal persuasion).

Just a quick question; how casual do I have to be to join? My wardrobe is pretty formal by modern standards... Compared to SP Convention outfits though I'm a lazy ragamuffin! I don't have the skill to make elaborate contraptions, nor would they fit well with my daily life. I dress this way every day and that means some level of practicality and acceptability for the academic community.

Lord Wraste

Argus,

Oh yeah! This is me, not paying attention! Oops.  :-X

Phoenix,

You're in. I didn't start the thread/club, so I don't really have the ultimate say, but as inclusive as Steampunks tend to be I can't see you being turned away.

I used to rock the leather trench. Unfortunately I've not been able to find one of suitable quality in recent years. Most of the ones I've seen have been over-large, over-padded monstrosities that weigh three times what they need to to be comfortable. :P

Argus Fairbrass

Quote from: Lord Wraste on January 21, 2012, 12:22:12 PM
Argus,

Oh yeah! This is me, not paying attention! Oops.  :-X

Well we're all guilty of that at times, a brief investigation revealed what is I suspect the story of these coats.

It would appear Pete sews stuff.  :D

Unsubtle Pete

Sorry to have let this thread slip my notice.

The coats are indeed my own work.

As for categories - well steampunk is where I fit best, simply because it acknowledges and accepts the fact that I don't fit.

I slowly drifted away from goth into general romantic as I found goth culture a little bit too restrictive. Music wise I'm more of a metalhead anyway.
With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

Argus Fairbrass

Well you certainly did a fine job on those coats sir.

Have some (kind of) Steampunk metal in appreciation!

Coppelius - Risiko (offizielle Musikvideographie)

Unsubtle Pete

Thank you, that is fantastic  ;D I shall have to look up more of their work.

As for the coats. I'm not really sure how to categorise the top one. It is an unstructured semi-fitted thing with no lining designed for the same role as a duster - ie protecting the clothes under it - and also summer wear. Design wise it is my own, with a waist seam and the shape coming from darts that terminate at the seams. To prevent it interfering with the collars of the coats it is worn over, it lacks a collar of its own.

The second is a single breasted frock coat (part of a suit) in black cashmere with silk dupion revers.

The third is a frock overcoat in a heavy wool with velvet revers.

Both frock coats are slightly modern takes on the idea, with the vent and centre back slightly different from the Victorian original. The waist seam continues around the entire waist, rather than the original where it does not continue across the centre-back. The vent is then a simple overlap of the two skirt-panels. Both frock coats feature buttons covered with the same material as the collar and revers.

Argus Fairbrass

That's why I thought the bottom one might be vintage, I have a couple myself and that wool makes it look very authentic. I find Coppelius a little hit and miss personally. I don't like everything I've heard, but they're definitely worth checking out. And their videos are always fun!

Flightless Phoenix

What a delightfully amusing video. I quite like the song; have a nice energy to it. I'll have to check out more of their stuff.
Makes me wish I understood German though =P

Ulysses Reynolds

How delightful, the I love it for the fact that its metal. With what I believe were obeos, simply amazing. Still an amazing video.
There is a reason for this. And trust me, when a bunch of harry potter geeks think your fucking retarded, you know there is something wrong.

Argus Fairbrass

Arise darkness! for you have slept too long and the time for world domination is now at hand bwahaha!

(which roughly translated means ooh look, some more of them Gothy Rocker types are showing signs of getting in on the act)

LACUNA COIL - End Of Time (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

Rammstein - Mein Herz Brennt Explicit Version (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO)