News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Master Corsetry Thread (Post A Review!)

Started by Flynn MacCallister, July 26, 2010, 06:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KittieKilohertz

The riding lace method - personally I think this is by far the prettiest way but also pulls unevenly :/
You can close with all lace methods providing patience and strong fingers are available :)
Ssh! Or I'll get you with my Ray Gun... PEW PEW!

vixana

As a poor young person with an unhealthy addiction to corsets, I tend to purchase from http://www.corsets-uk.com/ who are extremely good value for money, and have a fantastic range and quality for the prices they sell at. I've never had any problems with any of the corsets I've bought from there - be they steel-boned, plastic-boned ('fashion' range), underbust or overbust. As for my collection (pics soon)...

Black underbust
Burgundy underbust
Burgundy frilled overbust
Silver striped/brocade overbust
black halterneck
Beige brocade overbust (plastic boned)

Miss Peggy Bone

Quote from: vixana on June 07, 2011, 12:47:57 PM
As a poor young person with an unhealthy addiction to corsets, I tend to purchase from http://www.corsets-uk.com/ who are extremely good value for money, and have a fantastic range and quality for the prices they sell at. I've never had any problems with any of the corsets I've bought from there - be they steel-boned, plastic-boned ('fashion' range), underbust or overbust. As for my collection (pics soon)...

Black underbust
Burgundy underbust
Burgundy frilled overbust
Silver striped/brocade overbust
black halterneck
Beige brocade overbust (plastic boned)
This is good to hear as I've just put in an order with them  :) 
Visit my Etsy shop. 
Range of cuff links now available http://www.etsy.com/shop/madebypeggy?section_id=10514346
Cravats, Victorian Bow Ties, Cufflinks and Tie Pins.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/misspeggybone

locusta

Some beautiful corsets in this thread. I'm in the market for my first one and I was wondering if anyone had advise on what to watch for? And where I could find something in matte fabrics rather than shiny satin? I think I want a short underbust style so I can try it with few outfits and get the feel for it.

Also, does anyone sell corsets built into vests? I really like vests/waistcoats and think it could be a good combination for work.

Thank you.

KittieKilohertz

Corsets UK are pretty good to be fair and their prices are marvellous :)

Google or search on corset sites for a canvas, cotton, coutil or twill finish if you want a matte corset.

Hell Bunny currently sell a fairly good quality vest corset for around £30, I also make them :)
Ssh! Or I'll get you with my Ray Gun... PEW PEW!

crookedfingers

Quote from: locusta on June 08, 2011, 04:57:54 AM

Also, does anyone sell corsets built into vests? I really like vests/waistcoats and think it could be a good combination for work.

Thank you.

I have seen some examples of corset/waistcoats (I'll have to find some links), but your best bet to get one is to have one custom made.

You can use corset covers or corsets with posture correction straps as a starting point for 'waistcoat corsets' There are some examples of historical patterns for them on this site http://www.agelesspatterns.com/corsets_3.htm
Teleportation! See me go from nought to zero in zero seconds!

locusta

Ah yes, I was looking at Corsets-uk but they do seem lacking in matte fabrics. Still, at their prices I might be able to get a few and find what works best for me. I'm afraid I didn't find the vest corset at Hell Bunny (but maybe I found the wrong website?)

On corset waistcoats, I did a bit of googling and found a couple examples similar to what I have in mind. The "strappy underbust" I keep seeing is a cool look, but I'm shooting for something more subtle for now. This or this is closer, although I prefer a curved neckline. But if I don't make a true corset for now, it looks like it could be pretty straight forward to make myself. (Puts it on the to-do list).

I once found a men's corset that looked exactly like a waistcoat from the front (can't seem to find it now). That would be interesting as well; although I prefer a more feminine silhouette.

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

LizerSparkes

Here's my first attempt at making a corset from drafting the pattern to the finished corset:

Sadly, somewhere in the construction stage, I messed up, so even fully closed, I only get two inches of reduction.  I am retiring this corset for several reasons. One is that one of the voice actors at the convention I wore this corset to signed it. Another is that it's not as well made as I would have liked to make it, due to time constraints. The bones have started to poke out, and the bias tape at the edges has holes in the back section, because of what I used as the back stiffening.... but it was my first attempt, and it survived almost four days of about 8-9 hours of continuous, comfortable wear.  I only had shortness of breath on the rare moments I was yawning, and my posture was awesome.  My next corset will hopefully be a lot more professional looking in construction.
"PLC, and reach for the stars." - F. "Bucky" Laughlin

Angelica Needle

Quote from: KittieKilohertz on June 08, 2011, 06:11:21 AM
Corsets UK are pretty good to be fair and their prices are marvellous :)

I ordered a corset with straps from them and was a little disappointed as it seemed very flimsy for a steel-boned corset. However, they were extremely helpful over the return (I dropped it straight into their offices to avoid postage!) and I'd happily try something from them again.

The one I've been really pleased with recently on eBay is Corsetsuperstore. I bought an underbust with straps from them, and loved the shape (it was available in denim or pinstripe materials, if you're still looking for a matte fabric corset, locusta http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PINSTRIPE-DENUM-FULL-STEEL-CORSET-SHOULDER-STRAPS-835-/320620924559?pt=UK_Women_s_Lingerie&var=&hash=item76bf97a0d7 ). I needed a pale coloured one to wear underneath for Crich so asked which were available with the same shape, the guy was really helpful, and got it made with pale coloured trim rather than the standard black. The only problem is that they're made to order, so 20 days for delivery (he did my Crich one in 14 though when I asked if it was possible to arrive this week), and also he charges a restocking fee on returns, so it's not entirely risk-free.
The sound of the gentle rattle of china cup on china saucer drives away all demons, a little-known fact.
Terry Pratchett, Snuff

LizerSparkes

...well, I was going to post a link to a site that has a tutorial for drafting an overbust corset pattern, but it seems that site's having domain issues at the moment....  So when Foundations Revealed goes back up, this link shall work properly:

http://www.foundationsrevealed.com/free-articles/74-draft-your-own-corset
"PLC, and reach for the stars." - F. "Bucky" Laughlin

Camillia du Chine

Quote from: LizerSparkes on July 18, 2011, 08:12:52 AM
...well, I was going to post a link to a site that has a tutorial for drafting an overbust corset pattern, but it seems that site's having domain issues at the moment....  So when Foundations Revealed goes back up, this link shall work properly:

Just visited the site (thank you VERY much for the link!) and it appears to be all up and running!  I downloaded the pdfs without a problem.

lady joanna

it's a very good tutorial and where I learnt to make corsets. It's such a shame they split the website. Does anyone else subscribe? I'm planning to enter their costume competition.

jennibell

Hey I bought this fantastic corset the other day but the bones are rather flimsy and they have a tendency to bend, does anyone have any suggestions on how to best remedy this?

Thanks
x

Ms Fisher

Hi Jenni,

It sounds like you have either very narrow steel or plastic bones.
If you look back at this thread you'll find an explanation for swapping bones in corsets. Generally, a wider bone is less flimsy.
If you do this its important to think about how sturdy the material in the corset is-not all fabric is up to being laced tightly.
You could look at flossing techniques for corset bones as flossing helps hold the bone in place in the pocket.
When i've had bustiers in the past I found the best solution is to lace them snugly, but not tightly, and then the bones behaved

Good luck with it

mephit

Quote from: LizerSparkes on July 18, 2011, 08:12:52 AM

Excellent site! Thanks for sharing.

kecharanyght

I dont haveany current potos of my lovelies fron this vendor however they make amazing corsets that last and are amazingly supportive and comfortable for long term wear.

http://www.deliciouscorsets.com

Polaris

http://www.scoundrelleskeep.com/

Easily my favorite corset makers ever. They'll make you about anything you need custom and have and amazing array of unconventional corsets and steampunk clothing.

And while I can't seem to find them on the web, "Ties that Bind" also make some fabulous corsets.

Also as I side note, I just received 2 steel bone "training" corsets from UK-Corsets and was impressed. For the price, the quality is a lot better than what I was expecting.

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919

darkshines

So I am looking to start making my own corsets, just for me, as I can never get ones I like that fit. I have had a few patterns reommended, but what sort of materials do I need? I have the pretty fabric already (I have more than enough bloody fabric), but what other basic coponants do I need? Is it crucial I have a mannequin with my waist size? Or can a pattern alone be accurate? I will be loking at making either an underbust or corsetted waistcoat, I don't want anything over my bust (I look boyish enough as it is). Any pointers would be great.
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

ForestB

Darkshines- check out the corsetmakers group on live journal, they really helped me when I made my corset....
Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com

lady joanna

Darkshines, you need heavy cotton canvas or corsetry coutil. If you use canvas you will need lining, but I've used coutil as a liner perfectly well and if it's nice you can make double sided waspie corsets :-)

You will need to think about your busk opening, how you're going to set the eyelets and whether you want pre-cut bones.

You will also want some heavy calico to make a toile as you are more than likrly going to have to make some adjustments :-)

Polaris

Darkshines- If I remember right, corsets are three layers. Outside, which is your decorative layer, interface ((usually stiff denim or heavy canvas)) and lining ((something soft against your skin. You can make anything without a mannequin, but expect to have to try it on pretty often and stick yourself with pins to make sure the fit is right. You will need lots of boning ((1/2in flat steel being my personal preference)) cut to the correct sizes and tipped to keep it from puncturing the materials. You'll need grommets and grommet pliers, a busk ((if it's going to have a busk closure)) and a lot of patience.

There's some great tutorials on youtube, and this book here:
is quintessential when it comes to breaking it all down in simple instructions.
"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919

Ms Fisher

Good luck with the corset plan darkshines.

I just (half) made my first one-its not perfect, but it aint bad either-I used harlots and angels pattern as the lady who runs the buissnes was happy to fit me in her corsets (at waltz on the wye) before I bought the pattern-what can I say, having an idea of how it would fit before I made it made the pattern very worth while!

darkshines

Thats a good idea Ms Fisher. I don't think I own an Angels and Harlots corset yet......
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

Sublimity

I'm looking to purchase my first "real" corset as all I've ever owned have been the cheapy off the rack type AND I unfortunately must do it through the internet as I live in Japan and am not ethnically Japanese (thus no clothes here fit me!). Can anyone speak on the length of corsets? I'm generally drawn to longer length overbust styles because they seem so elegant in photographs but are they difficult to wear with puffy skirts or bustles? One I'm looking at is 17in/43cm long which seems quite long compared to others at only 14in.

Gah, I'm sure it depends a lot on body type, but any guidance would be helpful since I'm agonizing over what to do!

AlegrahEredschtadt

Well, I do know that I had a cheap off-the-rack overbust that was fairly long, coming about two inches below the start of my hips in the back. I had worn it with a self-fashioned bustle dress, and it was a tiny bit too long, though when it was laced tightly, it did make the skirt poof out quite nice. However, it wasn't really preferable. Now, my underbust is about the standard size, and I know I can't wear that one OVER a bustle because it will flatten it. However, this might be because I put on a bit of weight before I wore it last and it wasn't exactly sitting correctly. (can't put it very high up on my waist otherwise it causes unsightly lumps, and can't put it down too far otherwise it causes a very odd bulge. I'm thinking the lacing might be some of the problem as I'm forced to lace it and I need a bit of help.) Quite upset about that, really! I was looking to wear it for Halloween, so we'll see if I can get a bit of weight off before then. For reference, it's a 26, and I think my waist has gone up to a 32, from my previous 30. How frustrating. Oh, and mine is from Timeless Trends. I will say I adore their corsets, just think because I have a slightly shorter torso, if I buy another I'll need it custom done.

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

I dare mention my bloomers in public.

Join me in the Chatroom! http:/