News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Master Corsetry Thread (Post A Review!)

Started by Flynn MacCallister, July 26, 2010, 06:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: AlegrahEredschtadt on October 20, 2010, 01:04:39 AM
I think I'll treat myself and buy one from Timeless Trends after I loose all the weight I've got planned, since I plan on keeping it off. :3 Wish I could afford one from Serpentine, though I probably will one day. :P

In twelve months when the US dollar strengthens again, you'll be able to. The prices on their site are in Australian dollars.

LizerSparkes

Well, now that i know what the price is right now, I kind of have a benchmark to save up to for a Serpentine underbust corset.... But I'm going to wait to get it, since I'm still paying off my laptop, and the dollar's not quite strong enough yet to bring the price down to not-quite "EEEP" levels....
"PLC, and reach for the stars." - F. "Bucky" Laughlin

AlegrahEredschtadt

Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on October 20, 2010, 01:10:03 AM
Quote from: AlegrahEredschtadt on October 20, 2010, 01:04:39 AM
I think I'll treat myself and buy one from Timeless Trends after I loose all the weight I've got planned, since I plan on keeping it off. :3 Wish I could afford one from Serpentine, though I probably will one day. :P

In twelve months when the US dollar strengthens again, you'll be able to. The prices on their site are in Australian dollars.

Oh, how silly of me. Though I think I'll wait for it. :P I picked out which corset I want off of Timeless Trends; I'm going to get the black with white pinstripe underbust. With the cleaning job I do for a bit of money, that's less than three months wages, so I feel good! I figure I can buy it by my birthday, so less than six months away.

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

I dare mention my bloomers in public.

Join me in the Chatroom! http:/

Sam Watson

I just finished a corset for my fiancée. I'm making her wedding dress for our steampunk wedding, so this is a test to see if I can in fact make a corset before I move on to fancier fabric. I also made the skirt (barely shown here) which I have since reproduced in white silk for the wedding dress.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Samuel Xavier Watson

plum phlogiston

Quote from: Sam Watson on October 26, 2010, 03:58:00 PM
I just finished a corset for my fiancée. I'm making her wedding dress for our steampunk wedding, so this is a test to see if I can in fact make a corset before I move on to fancier fabric. I also made the skirt (barely shown here) which I have since reproduced in white silk for the wedding dress.

What a gorgeous corset, your intended is a very lucky lady. What fabric will the wedding corset be?

plum phlogiston

Quote from: SweetestPoison on September 09, 2010, 04:30:00 PM
I have a boring black storebought one as an emergency thing. then i went and got this one custommade:

looking slightly demented:

grocery shopping:

the lovely people over at http://www.desertorchidcorsets.co.uk/ made it for me. There was a mockup that was sent to me, the choice of free fabrics is stupendous ( although mine was one of the brocades) and they are really friendly and stay in touch throughout the whole process. I am considering ordering an underbust from them next. UNfortunately the website is a little confusing, just click this link here http://www.desertorchidcorsets.co.uk/do_catalogue_52.html for the catalogue.

I have two of hers, they are wonderful and Beth is the loveliest person you could ever wish to do business with. I recommend her to anyone, she is superb. I can quite happily wear my corsets all day without discomfort even reduced by a good six inches.

Just had to say.;)

Stella Aberwitz

Am I the only one who thinks making your future wife's wedding dress is the single most romantic thing in the world?

AlegrahEredschtadt

Quote from: Stella Aberwitz on October 26, 2010, 04:28:00 PM
Am I the only one who thinks making your future wife's wedding dress is the single most romantic thing in the world?

Not at all. I agree. :3

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

Sam Watson

Quote from: plum phlogiston on October 26, 2010, 04:11:48 PM
Quote from: Sam Watson on October 26, 2010, 03:58:00 PM

What a gorgeous corset, your intended is a very lucky lady. What fabric will the wedding corset be?

Sorry, the forum's downtime delayed my response.  :)

Here's a closeup of the fabric, since the busk is the only part of the new corset that I've finished (and reveals my slightly uneven stitching).
Samuel Xavier Watson

Countessa Lenora

Stella - I agree as well.  My husband cooks for me.  Anything like sewing or cooking that a man does well and for the one he loves, is just downright romantic.
Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk

RoseOak

Has anyone made the TV 492 in leather or suede? I've made a couple of them in fabric but I'd like something I can wear 'roughing it' so to speak.  Just general advice would be lovely.

LizerSparkes

Drafted my underbust corset pattern and will be getting the fabric cut sometime in the next few days or so... Was up till ungodly hours of the morning drafting it...totally worth it.  Will be posting pictures of it in progress.

Antigone

Hm... My corset finally has arrived... Tried it on and... Well it fits, but it's much stiffer than the corsages I used to wear. So I have to get used to that.
And now I know why so many women fainted *g* Breathing is overrated *g*
Scientist 1: "My invention fries human organs!"
Scientist 2: "Mine kills mosquitoes."

AlegrahEredschtadt

Where'd you get yours from? And I know. :P Though I find it totally depends on the person's body composition. I can actually breath normally in a tight-laced corset even though I have asthma.  :D

~ ~ ~

Antigone

Quote from: AlegrahEredschtadt on December 20, 2010, 01:14:22 PM
Where'd you get yours from? And I know. :P Though I find it totally depends on the person's body composition. I can actually breath normally in a tight-laced corset even though I have asthma.  :D
Got it from a Shop  in the next big city *gg*
Well breathing... It's ok ^^ But I just realized I shouldn't eat XD

AlegrahEredschtadt

It's impossible to eat while wearing a corset, I've found. xD One day I had my old one moderately tight-laced, and we went out to lunch. I got a piece of pizza and a drink. I ate about half the piece and half the drink and my stomach hurt. :P Needless to say, I took it off when I ate dinner later that day.

~ ~ ~

Deseret

Quote from: AlegrahEredschtadt on December 20, 2010, 04:18:53 PM
It's impossible to eat while wearing a corset, I've found. xD One day I had my old one moderately tight-laced, and we went out to lunch. I got a piece of pizza and a drink. I ate about half the piece and half the drink and my stomach hurt. :P Needless to say, I took it off when I ate dinner later that day.

Puts some of those huge Edwardian meals in new perspective, doesn't it?  I can see a lot of women probably having only a bite or two of most things...if not skipping courses entirely!

AlegrahEredschtadt

That it does!

Question for the ladies and gentlemen, briefly stated in the sewing thread. Until February when I purchase my TT corset, what can I do for the one I have now to make it wearable, as I've gone down five inches on my waist very, very quickly. I went from needing a 32 to needing a 26!  :o Gracious, huh? So! The only thing I can think of is removing one of the panels on each side and resewing the one with grommets on. Any other ideas?

EDITED: Not a big deal, though I'd still like ideas. :D I was able to order my corset tonight, though! Eee!

~ ~ ~

Antigone

Quote from: Deseret on December 21, 2010, 12:55:02 AM

Puts some of those huge Edwardian meals in new perspective, doesn't it?  I can see a lot of women probably having only a bite or two of most things...if not skipping courses entirely!

Corsets help us with diets :D

ClockWork~PandaBear

Hi

I've had a few corsets already, my first being steel boned and others after are just plastic. And I know it's to be expected but the plastics just do not give me the shape like my Steelie<3 does as I'm a big girl. And I have to put my steelie to rest soon as I've worn it to near death and the bones are sticking out and pulling at the shirts and skirts I wear underneath. Unless I can have that fixed too!

I was wondering if there was a way of re-boning the plastic ones with steel bones to make them more sturdy and shape giving. Or if there is someone that would be able to do it for me. I will pay, of course. I would really love if someone could help me with this as they are lovely corsets that I have, but I just want them to last that bit longer and look that bit better.

Thank you xx

Clockwork~Pandabear
~ Steampunk Is For Life, Not Just For Cosplay ~

LizerSparkes

What is the recommended number of boning channels for an underbust corset? I know it has to at least be the number of seams, and so far, I've got about 12 for the corset I'm working on, but that number seems a bit low to me.

Flynn MacCallister

Hey, again, that depends on the person. I've been to dinner partis in a corset and had no issues.

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: LizerSparkes on December 27, 2010, 08:53:45 AM
What is the recommended number of boning channels for an underbust corset? I know it has to at least be the number of seams, and so far, I've got about 12 for the corset I'm working on, but that number seems a bit low to me.

I think 12 is pretty good, though obviously it depends on the size. Most of mine are 8....

AlegrahEredschtadt

Can't say I know for sure, but the underbust I just purchased has thirteen channels with two flexi-steel bones in each, plus four steel bars in the back, one on either side of the busk. I love my steel-boned Timeless Trend to death. x.x I've been putting it on for no reason at all lately because I just love how it feels. I got it Friday, by the way. Post pictures next weekend, maybe.

~ ~ ~

Lyca

Quote from: ClockWork~PandaBear on December 27, 2010, 12:14:00 AM
I've had a few corsets already, my first being steel boned and others after are just plastic. And I know it's to be expected but the plastics just do not give me the shape like my Steelie<3 does as I'm a big girl. And I have to put my steelie to rest soon as I've worn it to near death and the bones are sticking out and pulling at the shirts and skirts I wear underneath. Unless I can have that fixed too!

I was wondering if there was a way of re-boning the plastic ones with steel bones to make them more sturdy and shape giving. Or if there is someone that would be able to do it for me. I will pay, of course. I would really love if someone could help me with this as they are lovely corsets that I have, but I just want them to last that bit longer and look that bit better.
Thank you xx

Hi there! That should be a pretty simple thing to do, even if you're not at all comfortable with sewing!
What you want to do is first open one end of the boning channel (that little case that your bone slides into). Top or bottom, it doesn't really matter - just unpick (cut, then pull out) the stitches that go across the top of the case. Try to only take out the ones that go across the case, and not the ones either side.
Then slide out your plastic boning. You need to measure how wide and how long this piece of plastic is, and order a piece of steel the same size. You need "spiral steel boning" for almost all of the corset - it looks like this: http://www.venacavadesign.co.uk/Products/browse/cat/Spiral_Wires_Pre_Finished_Lengths.html
Get the width that most closely matches how wide your plastic boning is. Then, you can order pre-cut, pre-tipped lengths of boning - for the length, again, get the closest to the bone that you've just pulled out, but NOT ANY LONGER. Always go slightly shorter, if in doubt.
For example, if you've just taken out a plastic bone from it's case, and it is 6mm wide and 27 and 1/2 cm, order the piece of boning 5mm wide, and 27cm long.
Take out all the boning from one HALF of your corset, except the bone nearest to the eyelets (lacing holes), and measure each bit. Write the measurements down, and work out what size of spiral steel boning you need to order for each. Label each channel on your corset with a sticky label saying what size boning is going in it, as you take the plastic bone out; this will make it a lot easier later on!
Once you've done all the bones except the one next to the eyelets, take out that one. You are going to replace this one (and the one the same as it but on the other half of your corset) with a flat steel bone. They look like this: http://www.venacavadesign.co.uk/Products/browse/cat/Bones_Steel.html
Again, you need to measure to see what width and length you need.
By now, you should have done all of one half of your corset - that's all you need to do! Because your corset is symetrical, you just need to get two of everything. So, two of each size of spiral steel boning, and two of those flat steel bones for either side of your eyelets.
Now, order your bones! There are lots of places online, depending upon where in the world you are. Just google around to find the best place for you.
Next, when your boning arrives, lay it all out in the way you will put it into the corset - those sticky labels should be helping now! Then slide each bone nicely into its case, and sew up the top of the boning channel. Your sewing doesn't need to be neat, as if you use the same colour thread as the corset itself, it won't show very much. Just make it strong, so that your bone won't poke through. Do this with each of your bones, sliding in and sewing up; remember that the flat white bones go nect to the eyelets at the back. Then you'll be done!

If this is at all confusing, feel free to pm me with any question and I'll try my best to help  :). Good luck!