News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Step by step guide to making your very own top hat

Started by Sam Watson, November 18, 2010, 01:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof_Von_Grumbleflick

absolutely sterling job! I'm inspired to look for that book and have a crack myself!
I'll be honest, the fabric covering isn't to my taste, but then it isn't on my head!

So, a career as a milliner for you?

QuoteNo matter how far you push the envelope, it remains stationery

Deseret

Wow, that's very impressive!

I love that you provided pictures of every step as you went along.  I'm not sure my skills are up to something like that yet, but it's very encouraging!

Gharak

Your hat is a truely wonderful creation, congratualtions sir.

I tried looking up the book you mentioned and only came back with results around £45 on Amazon. Is it a rare book or am I looking for the wrong thing.

Theophilus Saxe

Another vote here for a sticky to be made of this thread. A most elegant piece of work, sir!
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure and the glamour of the game."   

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail

Stella Gaslight

If you all want this sticky you don't have to vote all you have to do is ask.  ;)  And that is a lovey hat.  I have been making some of my own but they are far simpler.
I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

Sam Watson

Quote from: Gharak on December 10, 2010, 11:16:09 PM

I tried looking up the book you mentioned and only came back with results around £45 on Amazon. Is it a rare book or am I looking for the wrong thing.
Unfortunately the book is on loan to me from my sister, so I don't know how much it costs or if it's even in print. Sorry.
Samuel Xavier Watson

Cubinoid

It's a wonderful hat, and very good instructions. The covering is not what I would wear, but taste is taste.
Well done! Good job!

Here's mine (posted the picture somewhere else, but, hey your thread reminded me of it)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/mothmothmoth/PICT0005.jpg[/img]]

Next to it is the picture that inspired me to make it. I usually have a pair of flying goggles attached to it.
It was great fun to make...
You know, you might just have inspired me to make another!
We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

Prof_Von_Grumbleflick

That's nuts, Cubinoid! Love it! Just out of curiosity, but what is the right name for that style, anyone? It isn't just a topper, is it?

It wouldn't look totally out of place with a card sicking out of the hat band with "In This Style 10/6" written on it!

Cubinoid

Quote from: Prof_Von_Grumbleflick on December 18, 2010, 04:06:16 AM
That's nuts, Cubinoid! Love it! Just out of curiosity, but what is the right name for that style, anyone? It isn't just a topper, is it?

It wouldn't look totally out of place with a card sicking out of the hat band with "In This Style 10/6" written on it!

Why thank you Professor! I've no idea what the style is called - but it is a fantastic look. Very intimidating!

For anyone needing a closer look at the original for identification purposes:

Rao

Just from the very nice step by step pictures and description I am almost inspired to make my own. However I do not have the patience to actually do all the hand stitching you do. Yet still I am inspired even knowing I would never actually finish it unless I broke a leg or something. I love making things with my hands but sewing isn't one of the things I enjoy, But I am almost inspired to do it anyways. What I am getting at is that this is a very well done How-To thread I enjoyed reading it from beginning to end and enjoyed watching the progress. It is an inspiration to those who have thought about making their own and those who never thought they would want to.

(in reality I'm more the steamy tinkerer or mechanic or sky pirate than a Top hat wearing fancy, not that that's a bad thing, but I'm more inclined to tell someone to bugger off good heatedly than to say good day old chap. And that's the only reason I will force my self NOT to start on this.)
Raolin Aeromancer

Tinkerer

Argus Fairbrass

Quote from: Prof_Von_Grumbleflick on December 18, 2010, 04:06:16 AM

That actually reminds me of a slightly exaggerated Empire or Wellington style topper (on which I believe the mad hatters was based). A rare hat indeed to find an original of. For some reason they make me think of Bill Sykes and bullseye, wonderfully thuggee hehe!

http://www.silktophats.eu/5159-empire-tophat
Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

Winterbourne Gunner

Only just came across this thread, a most excellent hat and a most excellent guide.

Nice work!

TTFN

Gunner
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life."

Mich

The Duchess of Frugonia

Most admirable and inspiring, thank you, Sir.
Experimental Homeopath and Inhumationist [Retired]

Prof_Von_Grumbleflick

Quote from: Sam Watson on December 13, 2010, 12:12:03 AM

Unfortunately the book is on loan to me from my sister, so I don't know how much it costs or if it's even in print. Sorry.

Is this of any use to anyone?

A website for the book that Sam said he used. You can order the book from the site at USD $25 + $5 P&P.

http://www.hatbook.com/

:)

Zuzu

Bravo Sir.. Bravo
and what a great step by step...

I wont say i dont have the skill but i certainly do not have the patience and precision to complete a project to this quality.. very impressive sir..
"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

SteamFreak

Sam Watson, you have made a fine Chapeau indeed. Might one say you were...Mad as a hatter?

Cubinoid

Quote from: Prof_Von_Grumbleflick on January 20, 2011, 04:13:58 AM
Quote from: Sam Watson on December 13, 2010, 12:12:03 AM

Is this of any use to anyone?

A website for the book that Sam said he used. You can order the book from the site at USD $25 + $5 P&P.

http://www.hatbook.com/

:)

Oooh...tempted. Sorely tempted...

Calicojack

Prof. Alistair Crayborne

OK, so I seriously just bought the book. Sam, you ought to also make a waistcoat with the same material. Now THAT would be smashing!

*dreams...*

Thank you for all your pictures, too. That was great!
Prof. Alistair Crayborne

Lady Muse

Bow down! I love it! Fantastic worksman ship and sublime finish! Tophats are my favorite type of hat so i really do admire this! Nicely done!

MistressMagpie

I'm usually not partial to stripes on hats, but you may make a convert of me, sir! This is lovely work you have here. I applaud you. :D

Also, I agree with the Prof. Crayborne-- a matched waistcoat would look quite dashing.
MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.

TVC15

I, also, wish to tip my hat to you sir. Fine work. Hand made almost always takes top shelf to mass produced and yours has upped the anty!
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...

Sam Watson

Hmm, I wasn't sold on the matched waistcoat at first, but the more I think of it, perhaps you're right. I'm definitely going to make a matched striped waistcoat to my wife's corset.
Spoiler: ShowHide

I've never seen a suit that matches the hat before.
Samuel Xavier Watson

Wealthy Brown

Simply sterling job. I like the idea of matching waistcoat and corset.

Inspiring work.
Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative. - H. G. Wells