News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Step by step guide to making your very own top hat

Started by Sam Watson, November 18, 2010, 01:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samilyn

What a wonderful hat!  I am profoundly impressed by your imagination and skill. 

Jonny B. Goode

Thanks for posting this, it gives us all a step-by-step guide should we wish to create our own.

Tell me, about how much were your expenses in creating the hat, from start to finish?
Sky Marshal Jonathan Baines "Jonny B." Goode, F.O.S.S.L.
"The Gentleman Soldier"™
Commander, Air Corps Elite for Steel (A.C.E.S.)
Flagship: Hyperion Class I.S.S. Runcible

Sam Watson

Total cost for this hat: about $6.

The buckram is the most expensive, and I bought a couple yards of it so it would last a long time. I only used a small portion of it, I'd say about $3 worth. I already had wire for the brim, fabric for mulling, fabric for the lining (which was the lining of an old leather jacket I bought from Goodwill so I could use the leather for other projects), rubber cement, and needles and thread. I bought half a yard of fabric from a discount fabric store near me, so that cost about $2. Then all I needed was some ribbon for the hatband and headband for another $1, and that's about it. The hat I made for my wife is a little more expensive, but that's just because I covered hers in silk. From the same discount fabric store. So it probably came to around $9 all told.
Samuel Xavier Watson

AVW

This is very tempting...another thing to add to the 'to-do' list for when i find employment!

jennibell

It's very impressive, I have never attempted a hat before but I am thinking I may give it a go :-) x

Delireus

That hat is great! I'm studying technical theatre and I took a hat making class last semester. We used the same book you did and made ours just like yours. It was a boater hat, so similar to yours, just a shorter band and a wider brim.

I got to tell ya though, making that thing by hand was hell. We used double thick buckram so at times we were sewing through 4 layers of that stuff. Materials we needed for the class included pliers to pull the needle out. We were not allowed to use a machine because, as our professor put it, she wasnt able to when she was younger, so we couldnt either :P While it was very hard to do, I really want to make a mini topper like yours! Great job  ;D
Home is where the faire is

Sgt.Whatshisname

The hat is OUTSTANDING
Your skills are very impressive, I'm amazed.

having said that I have to ask,
While wearing that hat, are you able to
grunt and squeak and squawk with the animals?
( put's silly stick down and RUNS....)
We love the land of Liberty, It's laws we will revere
but the devil take the nobility, says the Irish Volunteers!

Dr.Nautilus

Ah!  Dr. Dolittle.  My childhood hero.

My good Mr. Watson, I congratulate you upon a handsome work of haberdashery. To add my thanks for your posts would be superfluous, but I nevertheless tip my hat to you.

Nautilus
Dr. Nautilus Pompilius Cholmondeley
Viscount Harply
Nautilus Steamworks (now on Etsy)
Aloft in the good ship Lady Heterodyne

KABAR2

Mr Watson,

Fantastic work sir! I will have to try my hand at this in the future, I look forward to seeing the vest that goes with it.
Alter-ego Baron Rinehold Tredmore on Sparegoggles

Crickity

Inspiring results and an incredibly well presented tutorial. I shall be attempting one of my own very soon!

Flightless Phoenix

Thank you very much for tis tutorial- it is so deatailed and comprehensive that I feel I would be able to make a hat like yours without the book for instruction.

If I ever have time (maybe at Chrismas) I will purchase some buckram and have a go =]

Bufo_periglenes

Adding to the chorus of thanks for posting this: Thank you!  A very inspiring tutorial, and a splendid hat.  ◻]=)

Darkling

I'm having a go at making one at the moment, mostly following this thread for instructions. So far so good... :)

Cubinoid

Thanks again for posting this. It is wonderful to see it is inspiring others to have a go at making their own hats.
I thought I might post a better picture of the hat I made...

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

Zili_Corrigan

Watson, Sir, that is a gorgeous hat!  Splendid photos of the process, and I love your attention to detail!
Zili Corrigan, Poet

frances

My dear Sir,

Congratulations on a splendid hat indeed.  I am so enamoured of your success that I would like to add this discussion a a link on my own 'how to make' hat page.  Like this: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/HowToMake/1815%20riding%20hat/1815all.html

I wish you more and greater success in your costuming endeavours,

yours truly, your servant

Bree L.

An excellent tutorial, Sir! I would love to make one, but not sure if I have the skill.
"Anxiety is the essential condition of intellectual and artistic creation."
- Charles Frankel

jemamus

Excellent job there!! I'm very inspired to try it on my own.  I think I'll pick up a copy of that book next week!!
Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company - Lord Byron

Pro. Millbore Grosling

bRelent work I plan on making one I do wish to know how difficult was the process
Man of Science

Sam Watson

Quote from: Pro. Millbore Grosling on August 02, 2012, 12:01:25 AM
bRelent work I plan on making one I do wish to know how difficult was the process
It's just sewing. I didn't find it difficult at all. Tedious and long? Sometimes, but not difficult. The second hat I made went together much more quickly because I knew what I was doing.
Samuel Xavier Watson

Cpt. Vanderstorme

Só much respect!
I'm gointto try make one myself! Although it'd be my 3rd tophat then, maybe it's time for variation

hardlec

Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim gun and they have not;
Technology is no substitute for Valor
Both are true.

Rose Inverness

Awesome!!! I love the fabric choice and clarity of the photos. I think I'll be trying this method of hat-making.... Thank you for sharing it!
That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...