News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The New World

Started by The Corsair, January 21, 2011, 08:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sammy

Spoiler: ShowHide
To Arx

Jeremy sat down at the same table. "Hello there young man. You seem like a very interesting fellow indeed, if you don't mind me saying. One moment you're dishevelled and the next you could pass for a lord. So which is it? Are you simply a commoner like the rest of us, or as lordly as you appear? Don't worry, I shan't tell anyone, we all deserve new starts." He added, winking.

Vancouver Air Privateer

Cenek nodded. "Ah yes, it is an exciting prospect. America can be difficult, so I've heard. It would be good if we could all lend each other a hand now and again."

He walked with Alex into the mess hall, surveying it.

"Ah!" he said, spying Falko and Rosie. "There is the young couple... oh dear, did I say that out loud?" He laughed as he approached them. "Do you mind if we sit here?" he said to the pair. "Alex and I were thinking of dinner as well. Do you know what the set up for food is?"

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "

Rosalia

Rosie blushed slightly at Cenek's comment. She didn't know if he had meant to joke or if he meant it as a truth, but she regained composure and smiled.

"Why hello you two! Of course you can!!" she chirped in her best of manners, "The food is decent, average fare. Meat, Vegetables. Nothing terribly special, but enjoyable."
"I AM THE CONFUSED MALE ALIEN IN THIS RELATIONSHIP!"

The Corsair

He noticed her blush and looked away, mildly ashamed.
As he opened his mouth to take the conversation slightly further into personal matters he caught Cenek announcing he had seen the two of them and before he even had a moment to blurt out his final question, Cenek blazed over and began talking with Rosie. A mild pang of jealousy hit him and he quickly supressed it in order to engage in conversation with the new arrivals.

"it may not be worthy of the Bedford corporation but I must say it will go down with little hesitation. I think they purposefully wait for us to be famished so their meals are tolerable."
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Man of Steam

"Agreed, if they waited till we weren't starving, I'd be having second thoughts about eating this" Alex said gesturing to the food on his plate.
"Thank you for letting us site here by the way, I wouldn't want to intrude on anything...private between you two."

The Corsair

"oh it's perfectly fine. You haven't intruded at all!" a blatant lie. He still had much he wanted to talk his way through with her. He figured he would have to take a walk with her after they had dined.
Still here, just quieter

Man of Steam

"If you insist" Alex could tell his new friend was annoyed, but he didn't want to cause any problems.
"So, what do people think of the ship?"

Rosalia

"Oh, it's quite large. I'm afraid I'm going to get lost!" She stated, "But it's quite an adventure."

Rosie did notice the scowl on Falko's face, she wonder about it. She had never caught the affections of anyone. It gave her a little boost of self confidence.

Man of Steam

"Oh, it's quite large. I'm afraid I'm going to get lost!" Rosie stated, "But it's quite an adventure."

"I agree, I've never been on a ship before, so this is new to me. Luckily Falko sees to know his way around the ship, and I'm sure he would be able to help you if you got lost, as would any of us." Alex hoped that that compliment would make up for his intrusion on the two.

The Corsair

He noticed Rosie look at him quickly and felt slightly embarrassed

"I'm used to narrow passageways and the like. It's all very logical when broken down to the core layout."

He finished his meal and waited fir the others, or at least Rosie, to finish.
Still here, just quieter

Rosalia

Rosie felt uneasy with several pairs of eyes on her.

"Are you going to stare or are you going to eat?" she huffed, "Let's not waste time or food."

Vancouver Air Privateer

Cenek did not need to be told twice and ate lustily, finishing her meal quickly and sighing contentedly.

"It is a bare example, but it is food and it sustains." he says happily. "I wonder what the fare in New York is like."

He looks over at Rosie and Falko. "I do apologize if I interrupted - it is good though to dine with friends. I am certain that we may chafe each other in such a confined ship - but in America, we will be free to do as we please, with or without whom we please. Just seeing a fine lad and girl... brought back a few memories."

Indeed, he had been just as old as Falko, he mused, his hand idly running across the scar on the left side of his jaw. Falko was probably a good deal smarter and more preceptive than he was, he thought wistfully.

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "

Arx Nimbus

Quote from: Augustus Longeye on January 25, 2011, 01:16:04 AM
Spoiler: ShowHide
To Arx

Jeremy sat down at the same table. "Hello there young man. You seem like a very interesting fellow indeed, if you don't mind me saying. One moment you're dishevelled and the next you could pass for a lord. So which is it? Are you simply a commoner like the rest of us, or as lordly as you appear? Don't worry, I shan't tell anyone, we all deserve new starts." He added, winking.

"I am what I need to be... At the moment, thats inconspicuous." said Arx, taking a quick sip of the ice water he'd helped himself to. I don't believe that we've properly met. I'm Ezekiel Schufell."
The crewmen were generally being rowdy and laughing over the top of everyones conversation.
"This ship, so I've been told is headed for distant lands. Why are you here?" he asked, wanting to know more about those he was travelling with.
Two fish are in a tank. One says to the other, how do you drive this thing?

Rosalia

Rosie blushed a little and coughed. She had no experience with men and the attention, as well as the little jokes and references, they were so overwelming.

"I do hope the food is better in New York. This is beginning to rub me the wrong way." She frowned, wrinkling her nose and taking a sip of her water.

The Sammy

"Well Mr. Schufell my name is Julius Rowe, nice to meet you. I'm heading to this bold new place in the hope that they are short on scientists, or at least big on space and slightly more liberal minded than my homeland. A few warrants on my head gave me the kick I needed to get out of there" He finished up in hushed tones, glancing over his shoulder to check nobody was listening in on him.
"And what about you? You seem quite at home here, though you're being a bit avoidant of the group" he nodded towards the table at which a group of the other passengers sat and talked whilst they ate "If you don't mind me saying so."

The Corsair

Once their meals were finished he wasted no time in creating circumstances appropriate for the conversation he wished to hold with Rosie.

He turned to her again
"Shall we take a light stroll? It would be nice to have some fresh air while we allow our meals to settle somewhat."
He didn't really wait for an answer and got himself near ready to leave.
Still here, just quieter

Alexis Voltaire

Luke looked over the tables, trying to see if he could spot anyone he had met or seen earlier. He noticed Cenek and a few of the others that had boarded ahead of him after a few moments, but they seemed to be engaged in a private discussion. "Not really, you're welcome to join me if you like though." He said, taking a seat at the unoccupied end of one of the nearby tables.
~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~

Rosalia

"Oh yes! Sorry!" She saidm, taking one last bite.

She stood and got ready to leave.

"It was nice dining with you two." She smiled before she left.

MWBailey

"Thank you," Fergus said, taking the invitation offered and sitting down at the end of the table with Luke. His mouth watered over the fare that was brought to them, and after a moment's customary reverie, tucked in with a will. "Nothing fancy, this, he said after a moment, but it's good as far as basic fare goes. S' better than what the army throws at you. 'Course, almost anythin' would beat that. Africa was not a 'triumphant campaign,'" he said, derisively. "I was a fifer-- 'til I got off the boat an' they put a rifle in me hands. I did my dirty little bit, then hightailed it out and back 'ome to County Clare as soon as they'd let me."

He stifled a shiver; Islandwana was not a memory he enjoyed, and the failure of the farm and the scattering of family after his homecoming all blended together with it into the semblance of a horrible dream. "America'll be an improvement, whatever 'appens. To the future!" he toasted  with fervor, with his icewater, as he tucked in once more.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

The Corsair

He felt a little stupid for being so forceful but decided he could apologise later should the opportunity arise in conversation.

The were silent until they reached the deck, at which point he asked, quite plainly,
"Have you left anyone... special, behind?"
Still here, just quieter

Man of Steam

"well Cenek" said Alex, finishing his food
"Either I have completely misread the situation, or Falko seems to be interested in Rosie, does that seem to be about right?"

Vancouver Air Privateer

Cenek shrugs. "Perhaps. Probably. It would not surprise me - they are both fine young people."

He laughed. "Why do I keep calling them young? I cannot be more than five years older. I guess it's because I consider myself so much different when that age. More foolish. But they do not look foolish. Anyways, there is no reason for Falko not to be. Let us let them sort it out."

He grinned at Alex. "Now, you cannot accuse Falko without opening yourself as a target. Did you leave anyone behind that was... special? Or hoping for luck in America?"

Man of Steam

Alex grinned "No, there were a few people I had relationships with, but none serious, I guess I'm going to have to try my luck in America!"

Rosalia

"Well, other than my sister and brother, no. I've had anyone be that...special to me. My father wouldnt allow it." She said, her blush diminshed by the cold night air.

"Have you?" she asked with genuine curiosity.

The Corsair

"No," he replied honestly, "but I have a creeping feeling I may have found such a person..."
He looked to her
"I must be honest, you have certainly... captured my attention. There is possibly some vanity in my immediate feelings but I am slightly aware of something more. You are achieving something that shows true strength and it compells me..."

He didn't know how to continue and ended up meekly trailing off, his assertiveness had vanished. He felt exposed, vulnerable, laid bare. He hoped she was gentle enough with his raw being.
Still here, just quieter