News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The New World

Started by The Corsair, January 21, 2011, 08:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Corsair

"I shoul have revealed this earlier. They couldn't exactly sneak that much dynamite on board. They're going to overload the boiler.
We don't know how deep this truly goes. The last thing we want is to have ourselves hunted down on the mainland for foiling their plan. I agree with stealing the boat. Once we're free we will have to avoid being identified as passengers on this vessel."
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Rosalia

Rosie regained her composure, "How do you intend to do that?"
"I AM THE CONFUSED MALE ALIEN IN THIS RELATIONSHIP!"

Man of Steam

"Simple, we have to make it seem like we were never on the boat at all. Any journals, notes or letters need to be edited or disposed of if they mention anyone being on this ship, the fact that the ship is sinking means that there shouldn't be any survivors to say we actually were here."

The Corsair

A short silence hung.

"tugboats... We get into the harbour at night, we can raid a tugboat, bring the ship in and get well away before they detonate. Obviously they want the kitchen crew off before they overload the boiler so we will be heading into the harbour."
Still here, just quieter

Vancouver Air Privateer

Ceneko shrugs. "I agree entirely with Alex. Passenger records must be destroyed."

He was not exactly new at this sort of questionably legal activity.

"How do you intend to get the tugboat?" he asks. "Also, I understand that the main concern here is saving our own skins... but it irks me to let such a plan go off. I can, if gotten near enough, sabotage the boiler, preventing its explosion. It is risky... but it will make things far more confusing for the enemy - we will not be lone survivors, but a handful among a crowd - an anonymous crowd if we destroy the records."

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "

Man of Steam

"Are you sure? We've already seen that they will commit suicide to complete an objective, what if the crew intends to go down with the ship? I'm not saying it's a bad plan, but we need to consider all the options here."

The Corsair

"I agree. Unfortunately, self preservation allows no room for heroism.
We will, however, need a way of getting to a tugboat..."
Still here, just quieter

Arx Nimbus

"I think Cenek's plan would be safer for us and the passengers. Easier than stealing a tugboat and quieter too. I'd say the crewmen would notice if the ship was being pulled by a tugboat, where as sinking. We want them to notice that." said Arx from his table at the back. "Besides, if we weld the door to the boiler shut after us, they won't be able to cause the explosion. But they won't risk all of the passengers getting off of this ship." he said.
He looked for a response from the others.
Two fish are in a tank. One says to the other, how do you drive this thing?

MWBailey

Fergus himself had heard a few things. A snippet here, another there, and then he had been invited into the cabin by the others. Given the rather dire tidbits he had overheard from the loose-lipped crewmembers, the invitation to the meeting piqued his attention more than it would have done ordinarily.

"The Ship will be destroyed in harbour."

That sentence caused him to freeze in place at his place by theporthole, watching the deck out side.  he moved his head so that he could glance a fair diswtance either way when he heard steps on the deckplanking coming their way. So, the crew really were planning to sink the ship. He agreed with the speaker who suggested turning the tables on the crew, and wanted in on the plan, but how to do so?

The vagaries of the wind and coal-burning engines cause the smoke from that burning to throw its irritating wake in many unexpected directions, especially when teh prevailing wind direction, or teh direction of teh boat's travel, changes. Thus it was that a few wisps of the acrid coal-smoke drifted down into three crewmen's' lungs at that exact moment -- just as they walked past, carrying what looked like a spar and a heavy coil of rope.

"arrUUmPH! *HACK*COUGHCOUGHAARRRummph!" erupted from three throats at once.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

The Corsair

((OOC: Arx, the ship will be pulled by tugs into the harbour anyway))

"We want to escape with minimal attention drawn, why do we want them to notice us sinking the ship?"
Still here, just quieter

Arx Nimbus

"I just think that, the passengers are in greater danger if they remain together on the one vessel." said Arx. "We'll see what happens but I don't feel comfortable knowing that this ship might explode at any moment." he finished.

Vancouver Air Privateer

"I think both ideas have merit..." said Cenek, weighing the options.

"I think that Falko may be right with his tugboat idea - the lifeboats are somewhere that they will be looking for potential escapees and would be very dangerous if they did spot us - too easy to sink. Once again, it is integral that we burn the documents - even if they do catch a glimpse of us it will be impossible to hunt us in the vastness of New York with no leads - we must leave no trace."

"As for the boiler... I do intend to foil the plans to overload it. The villainous crew will waste time trying to "fix" it. And, us few are a much smaller target among a mass of passengers, as opposed to the sole survivors."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "

The Corsair

The ability to blend in among the mass of passengers hadn't crossed Falko's mind.

"yes, that seems to be the way to go... Even if they do go about catching the passengers after they leave, we're essentially invisible...
Unless someone visually identifies us..."

Another pause

"what if someone recognises us? We'd be dead men... And women... Gentlemen, we have a serious problem. Somehow we will have to change our appearance on shore..."
Still here, just quieter

Rosalia

"Excuse me," Rosie interrupted, "is there anything I can do? I have ways of changing my appearance and such. Alex is not the only one who can act."

That was true. Rosie and her sister had put on many a play for their mother's friends so she had experience.

The Corsair

"Shall we plan on shore? I guess we're stuck together until we can truly say we're safe..."
Still here, just quieter

MWBailey

"Lower ye're voices!" Fergus hissed urgently, "There be three crew outside on deck, comin' this way!"

Vancouver Air Privateer

Cenek gave a thin smile. "There is another way that does not mean we will have to change forever in New York. Why not make makeshift masks or such, to be put on before we make our move? We can buy new clothing in New York anyways - without faces or names, how will they ever know it was us? One secret society deserved another masked group to oppose it."

His smile widened. He was starting to like this plan.

"I think that Arx and I, since it is our idea, should deal with the boiler. We will need two other groups - one to get the tugboat and ready it and another to find the ships documents and logs and burn them."

He lowered his voice once Fergus made his warning. It could be crew or just passengers, but it paid to be careful.

Rosalia

Rosie jumped at that and practically threw herself into Falko's arms with a little squeal. She immediately blushed and smiles sheepishly.

Arx Nimbus

Arx rolled his eyes at this. That was all.

The Corsair

He held her with tenderness.

"I'll join the tugboat team as it's my suggestion. I guess that means Rosie is joining too..."

He looked down into her eyes for a moment, as if to confirm her volunteering.
Still here, just quieter

Rosalia

Rosie gave a nod as she looked up into his eyes.

Hearing awkward coughs and such Rosie pulled away.

"If anyone can think of or has anything clothing that would fit me, it would be much obliged." She stAated.

Arx Nimbus

"Cenek, it looks as though we're going to have to give up the trove of 'newly acquired items' to fund this escapade once we get to the mainland. We'll also need a meeting place on the mainland after we split up to lose any guards attention. A large group wandering down the street would be, to say the least, conspicuous." he said.

MWBailey

I've an extra shirt or two in 'ere, Fergus said, and pulled it out from his satchel, folded neatly and wrapped up in brown paper by Master Gill's wife back in Bristol. " 'S nought but a lace-up work shirt, but i's clean," he said.  "Sorry, but I've no trews save what I be wearin'.

"I've got basic tools for carpentry an' hammer and tongs for ironmongery in 'ere, he said, patting his satchel. "I'd be loathe to part with 'em, but happy to use 'em for the work at hand."

Rosalia

"we can find something. Unless anyone has any objection?" She asked looking around, "I just thought pants would be easier than my usual garb."

The Corsair

"there are empty cabins... We will all need different clothing to avoid detection upon arrival. The ship will meet its tugs tonight so I say we raid a few cabins or clothing this afternoon. Decide on teams, one for the boiler, one for the tug. They will be lungs and legs respectively to avoid suspicion. Where will we meet in the city after the operation is complete?"
Still here, just quieter