News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The New World

Started by The Corsair, January 21, 2011, 08:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosalia

"Oh, nothing. Just, I'm a little sad to be going." She lied. Now that she thought about it, she was not sad in the least. "Are you sad?"
"I AM THE CONFUSED MALE ALIEN IN THIS RELATIONSHIP!"

The Corsair

"No, my father is no better than a criminal. The more distance between me and him, the better my life will be." He said with no attempt to mask his vehemence.
He paused, then,
"Sorry, It's unfair to unload on you. I'm not angry at you."
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Rosalia

"It's fine," She said, standing with her back towards the shore and her elbows on the railing "You're not the only one who dislikes their father. It's only natural. My father wasn't a criminal, but he was unfair. I always hated him."

She laughed, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear, "But you don't want to her about my petty problems."

The Corsair

"I don't mind. It would be nice to know a bit more about you... I mean, if we're going to be sailing together for a while..."
He decided a slight subject change would save him some embarrassment.
"So how do you plan on becoming a teacher once we reach land?"
Still here, just quieter

Vancouver Air Privateer

The rather serene moment of togetherness was broken by Cenek coming up and slapping them both on the back.

"Ah, a wonder! To see the bleak shore recede, recede and vanish! And a new one draws ever closer! Ah, I hope that I was not interrupting. I am relieved... er, excited, I mean, for the ship to be fully underway. I am sorry to interrupt sad talk. But we all have problems... even I."

For the first time, Cenek looked, for a brief moment, a little melancholy. But he swallowed it back with conviction.

"I hope you do not mind if I join the conversation, then? I can offer a drink if you wish... a little something sneaked on to celebrate my escape.. ah, the beginning of the voyage, I mean."

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "

The Corsair

The interruption of Cenek was perhaps a slight blessing. He didn't want to dig himself into a hole with any of his newfound 'friends'.

"A drink would be lovely. I haven't touched liquor since I had a swig of dutch courage as I left home."

He remembered their short conversation earlier before boarding.

"Do you have planned accommodation in New York?"
Still here, just quieter

Arx Nimbus

Arx lent on the wall further up from the three and decided to watch them and maybe learn something about the three strangers he had met back at the docks.
Since he had kept to himself he hadn't really socialized with anyone on board yet. Arx had spent his time in his cabin.
Their conversation continued...
Two fish are in a tank. One says to the other, how do you drive this thing?

Vancouver Air Privateer

Cenek sensed Arx watching them. Interesting, interesting. He still would need to look into the boy - children of such talent were not a resource to be squandered, by any means.

He slipped the flask from his jacket and motioned to the lad. "Here, lad, do you want a sip as well? Come, come, do not be afraid!" He passed it to Falko for the moment, leaving it open to the independent woman wether she wanted any or not.

He turned back to Falko.

"As for accommodation... well... I did not have... all the time to make full arrangements. I assume I will have to look for a hotel, but I would much prefer my own dwelling, in order to "set up shop" as it were. I fear I will have to look to loans to that. But, I am thinking - a thought, at the moment, of course - if we pool our resources, we could perhaps acquire some place together? We could then accomplish much more, I think."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "

Arx Nimbus

Arx decided to wander up to the three travelers as they spoke. Remaining silent he looked back at the shore, already distant, getting further away as the horizon continued to sink out of sight.
Deciding not to speak he joined the circle of conversation.
"... Then accomplish much more, I think." he heard Cenek finish.

The Corsair

He took a quick swig from the bottle and let the burning liquid slide down his throat

"I have money for maybe 2 meals. Pooling resources will be a little difficult. Unless we pool the resources of the others as well. We could help the erst get on their feet." He pondered as he handed back the flask.

The conversation was a little too serious at this point he felt, and any discussion about shared living while they got started needed to happen with all of them there.

He had mentioned them all meeting up later and hoped they had perhaps made their own way to the deck. He noticed the youngest boy, Arx, he thought his name was, standing off to the side.

"I think I'll go and fetch Alex from the cabin. Plus, I think this young lad is wanting to join the conversation and discussing business makes it difficult for him to do that. I will see you both soon."

He slipped a quick private word in with Rose

"Would you do me the honour of taking a walk with me this evening, perhaps after dinner?"

He left without waiting for an immediate response. He figured he would give her time to talk with the others and think about the offer.
Still here, just quieter

Arx Nimbus

Arx's eyes followed Falko as he walked, hands in pockets, down the deck the way Arx had come.
He seemed like a decent type.
"I suppose I should know this," Arx began to say to the remaining pair, "But I have no idea what this ship is called or where it's bound."

Alexis Voltaire

Luke found his cabin a few minutes later and set his suitcase down next to his bunk, not bothering to unpack anything at the moment. He sat down on the edge of his bunk, resting for a moment and trying to decide what to do next. He saw that two of the other bunks had been claimed, but since there was no one else here at the moment wasn't sure who else he would be sharing the cabin with.
~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~

Rosalia

Rosie felt a little out of place joining in on the conversation, especially now Falko had left. He had been a great source of companionship and she would be joining him for dinner.

Your father's not here Rose she thought.

"I actually think that's a splendid idea, pooling our resources. Not all of them, in case of emergency of course," She stated, "I'd be willing too."

MWBailey

Having managed to procure a bowl of barley and a mug of the strongest coffee he'd ever had, Fergus got up, left his bowl and tableware as the steward had told him, obviously thinking anyone who carried their tools with them must be a tradesman, and thus not too bright; Fergus had found it useful, in past  traveling experiences, to have folk think he was more simple than he really was, so ihe didnt let it bother him much.

He strolled into the observation lounge, and watched as the scenery slid by down below. They were out over the Irish Sea, now, or so it looked; there was a large landmass away to the rear, stretching into view at the rearward end of the huge multipaned bay window, and off to what he took to be the Northern direction, the headland-like tip of another, with a gigantic spread of gray-blue water between, dotted sparsely with small fishing craft and one or two larger ships, one of them almost directly below; it looked like a medium-sized sail-powered collier. He then returned to his cabin, finding a fellow sitting on the bunk next to his. "'Ello, there, sir, he said, hoping his brogue wasn't too thick. " 'Ope ye don' mind a li'l company on this trip. Name's Fergus, Fergus O'Flaherty." Fergus stuck out his hand for the other man to shake.

Spoiler: ShowHide
If it's alright, Fergus is introducing himself to Luke

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Arx Nimbus

"Pooling resources?" Arx asked the pair inquisitively. He looked at Rosie, then at Cenek.
"I don't have a lot of possessions but I have been known to 'aquire' them." he continued. "Would that be of any importance?" he asked them.

Vancouver Air Privateer

"Hmm, is that true?" said Cenek. "Here, let us let the good lady have her walk with Falko, my lad."'

Cenek could not believe the boy had been foolish enough to come out and state he was a thief. Youthful arrogance he assumed.

He pulled Arx to the side and walked with him down the side of the boat, away from all the others to where their conversation could be had in private.

"Hmm, now my lad, it seems strange to me that you could afford such a boarding pass, hmm? Perhaps it is that the one you have, if I were to check, is not yours? In that case it would be most disastrous if any official on the boat were to learn of this - or of your, ah, "profession". You would not want to spend your first weeks in New York in a prison."

Cenek gave a long, exaggerated sigh. "I do not know what to do, my lad. I am a man of honour and dignity and my pure heart tells me to turn you in. But, I was younger once as well. I have sympathy."

He looked around, made sure no one was looking, and gripped Arx's arm tightly.

"So, are you considering "acquiring" things on this vessel, hmm? If so, my honour would have me report you... unless, perhaps, I received a... share of said profits."

He smiled. "As well, if things go missing, they will surely search a young ruffian like you. I however, a legitimate businessman, would be less suspicious. Take me your profits and I will make sure no one knows anything. I give you my word."

Man of Steam

Alex turned back to his cabin, when he saw Falko walking by. Thinking to tease him a bit, he asked with a grin
"So, how was your walk with Rosie?"

Rosalia

Rosie eyed the younger boy carefully. She had never dealt with a real thief before, sure she had absconded with a few things of her father's, but that was different. It wasn't her profession. She smirked, he could consider it her inheritance. Unconsciously her hand flew to her hidden pocket, feeling glad that her money was hidden in her luggage.

She wondered who else she could actually trust.

Rosie moved further away from Arx and looked out over the sea. She would miss her sister.

The Corsair

"In some regards, not over. We are dining together, or whatever the equivalent of that is on this ship, and taking an evening walk afterwards."

He looked around the cabin, something he hadn't really done in his initial moments in it, and noticed how incredibly small it was. Somehow 4 beds, consisting of 2 bunks, were crammed into it. The ship was moving and no other bags of luggage could be seen so the other members of the cabin must have missed the opportunity to board, or worse...

"I see you've chosen a bed already. Some of the others are on the deck if you want a quick chat before dinner. I'm going to lie down for a few moments I think, it's been a worrying day in many ways. This is like a... final relief for me."
Still here, just quieter

Man of Steam

"Well then, good luck with that, Rosie seems to be a lovely lady, and I wonder where our two traveling companions are,I'll leave you to your sleep now" He said on his way out of the room.

The Corsair

He took a bit of time to unpack and find his nicest set of garments, which really didn't say much.
He settled for a plain black shirt that was definitely in a less-than-formal state of disrepair and trousers in no better state.

He waited a short while for it to be time to eat.
Still here, just quieter

The Sammy

Julius had gotten completely lost. He'd decided to try and watch England float off into the distance and had instead taken a wrong turning and ending up in some tiny hallway what could have been anywhere. He had yet to see a single person, that he knew or not, and so had been forced to try and make his way around on his own. It had been at least twenty minutes now and he was beginning to get  annoyed. He briefly toyed with the idea of opening a door to check for either people or something more interesting than hallway, but decided against it not wishing to intrude one someone.
He continued some more and suddenly saw a flash of daylight. He turned a corner and found himself on the main deck at last. After a deep breath of fresh air he looked around.

Rosalia

Nobody had arrived in her cabin. Unless they were very neat people and had already placed everything away. Rosie didn't like to snoop, so she would just have to see if anyone came along later.

Rosie hadn't brought many dresses, only the one she was wearing, another inconspicuous (but relatively pretty) one, and her favorite one which deem her far too overdressed for the occasion. That was alright. She knew how to make things better. She put on the other dress and pinned up her hair with a nice little hat that used to belong to her mother.

She decided to take a stroll on deck.

The Corsair

He headed toward the deck where he assumed Rosie would be. His hair was parted and he had done what he could to make his shirt and pants slightly more presentable. He grabbed an overcoat he had taken from his father in case he needed something more formal. He spent far too much time deciding whether or not to wear the overcoat, he had no idea how he would need to dress for meals or how well dressed Rosie would be.

He arrived on the main deck and spotted one of the men from the dock, Julius he thought his name was. He decided he'd head over for a short chat.

"Good evening, uh, Julius?"
Still here, just quieter

Rosalia

Rosie walked around on deck, not recognizing a single face. She thought once she saw an old schoolmate of her brother, but it turned out not to be him. Finally she spotted two of her new companions, including Falko.

"Hello!" she said cheerfully.