News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The New World

Started by The Corsair, January 21, 2011, 08:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arx Nimbus

"Blackmail?" Arx asked Cenek attentively. "You make a fair point." he said, as he hatched a plan. "Alright then. We'll split my findings, evenly. I may be a thief but I do have my codes." he continued. The sea wind was picking up as the sun began to cling to the horizon, painting the sky a brilliant orange.
"We'll keep in touch, but I do expect you to cover me." he told Cenek. Pulling a few coins from his pocket he handed them to Cenek. "The man I borrowed these from barely had pockets enough to carry the rest. I only take from those who have too much for their own good. Greed is, after all, a dangerous thing..." Arx said.
Two fish are in a tank. One says to the other, how do you drive this thing?

The Corsair

He turned around ad was pleasantly surprised to see Rosie. He took in her dress. It was nothing too fancy but was certainly a little more than plain. He was relieved to realise he wouldn't look over or under dressed in her company this evening.

"Hello! I must say you are finely dressed. Shall we find where the meals are served on this vessel?"
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Vancouver Air Privateer

Cenek smiled. "Very good!" he said. "But pray, do not use so... associated with a term as blackmail. As a thief I would expect you, above all others, to understand the importance of taking a vantage when you can... or advantage, so to speak."

He nodded at Arx. "And yes, this will be a good set up for this voyage. And who know? Depending on what I see from you, I may offer you even more. Yes, Greed is a dangerous thing... but then, so is a sword, or a gun. And when it comes down to the world, I would prefer to be the one who is armed, would you not agree? I may seem over-enthusiastic, but I am not naive. The world is not always fair. But men like you and me, my lad, we do not complain. We see it how it is and live it as it is. Ah, if only I had your world wisdom when I was your age... I would have been spared much heartache. But yes, now, go. We will need money for America! Later perhaps, I will treat us to some food."

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "

Alexis Voltaire

Quote"'Ello, there, sir, he said, hoping his brogue wasn't too thick. " 'Ope ye don' mind a li'l company on this trip. Name's Fergus, Fergus O'Flaherty." Fergus stuck out his hand for the other man to shake.

"I don't mind the company." Luke said with a friendly smile, shaking Fergus's hand. "It'll be good to get to know a few of the people we'll be landing in New York with. I'm Luke Marshall... So what brings you on the trip to the new world?"
~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~

Arx Nimbus

Quote from: Vancouver Air Privateer on January 24, 2011, 03:19:58 AM
But yes, now, go. We will need money for America! Later perhaps, I will treat us to some food."

With that Arx gave the man a quick grin before turning on his heel and heading indoors. He fetched the ticket he had snatched from his pocket.
The name on the top in elegant silver writing said Lord Marcus Schufell - Room 173.
Replacing the ticket back into his jacket pocket Arx walked down the decorated hallway in search of Room 173...

Rosalia

"That sounds quite nice. I'm famished! I haven't eaten since yesterday." She smiled.

She lifted up the hem of her dress and followed after him in search of noushment.
"I AM THE CONFUSED MALE ALIEN IN THIS RELATIONSHIP!"

Man of Steam

Alex walked around a bit, until he ran into Cenek
"Hello there, so what do you think of our new companions?" he asked, curious for the answer.

MWBailey

"I'm a smith; I also know a bit o' carpentry. Seems to me, people in America might have need of the likes of me out on the edges of things." His voice took on a wistful tone "The blight drove me an' mine from the land in County Clare, and the in-floo-enza killed off all but me an' me sister Dree. I ended up in Bristol. No Blight there, but not much smithing either, or not that wasn't already bein' handled, and jealous-like, too."

Fergus' voice brightened as he continued, "Local housebuilder took me on as a nail-straightener, before long he'd taught me 'is business.  But Dree and me, we'd agreed to find t'other in America, so I bid the builder goodbye when my 'denture was up (a right fair man Master Gill was), scraped up my savings and bought this trip's ticket. All I have in the world is in me bag. Hammer and tongs for ironmongering, I can make the rest if I can build a fire and get scrap iron. Basic wood-workin' tools, and this 'ere shortaxe; the handle stickin' out o' the bag is me riving froe. And that's it, friend, plus what little pocket money I have left. What's your side of it all?"
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

The Corsair

They soon found what was essentially the ship's mess hall. There was no room for much luxury aboard such a vessel. He wondered what such ships would do now the need for bulk travel was no more. Perhaps then luxury would be an aim.

The meal was basic enough and the conversation was small and polite. It was back on the deck some time later that they began to hold more deep and serious discussions.

"I feel compelled to ask, what made you run away?"
Still here, just quieter

Rosalia

"My father is too strict," she mused, "I couldn't stand it anymore. I didn't like that I was supposed to be just a pretty little thing for men to ogle. It got worse after my mother died last year."

Rosie looked down out of embarassment and sadness.

Vancouver Air Privateer

Cenek smiled at Alex.

"Hmm, interesting in sizing people up? I suppose, as an actor, you must study people."

He paused. "An interesting group - but it takes interesting people to attempt something new - to go beyond what is known to the unknown, past comfort and familiarity. That... or other circumstances. Perhaps there are some dark pasts? But I am not one to judge that. Rosie is an interesting girl - in a position not many find themselves in and I wish her all the luck with that. Falko seems to be steadfast, another appropriate characteristic. I did not have much time to meet Mr. Rowe or the others... Then there is "Arx Nimbus", if that is his real name. He seems to have less purpose than most of us, but a remarkable drive. That intrigues me."

Cenek then looked Alex over carefully. "And then there is you, my friend. Of course, you are an actor, so I must be careful to see if my assessments would be true." He laughed. "I think I will play it safe and let you tell me about yourself! I used to write plays, in Paris. Saw many. Ah, the Bohemian life... it is sweet, true, but rather... disconnected. A starving artist in Paris can get beaten for his loans. A successful businessman in America - few would think to run afoul of the Champions of Commerce."

He laughs again. "I am sorry. I have lost many of the foolish aspects of my slightly younger years, but I still talk as much! But I am still very young."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "

The Corsair

"I'm sorry for your loss. Losing anyone close and loved is difficult in any circumstance. She is in a better place. Or so they say."
He turned to her, noticing her sad expression.
"If you think about it, either way you lose her. You are leaving everything now. I'm sure she would be proud that you are being an independent woman."

A contemplative silence hung for a moment.

"I lost a brother a short time ago... He is the reason I am gone."
Still here, just quieter

Rosalia

"She had a long battle with tuberculosis, I'm just glad she's better now. I'm sorry about you brother, was he younger or older?"

Rosie's upbringing didn't allow her to shovel in her food but as she relaxed she began to eat more. It wasn't the greatest meal she had ever had, but it was decent. The meat was a little dry and the vegetables were a little undercooked. Rosie had a hard time swallowing it at points, but she kept reminding herself her High Society life was over.

"So, why New York?" she asked trying to lighten the mood.

The Corsair

"He was the same age. 'brother' was a deceptive term there. He was a friend, but he was like a brother. We worked together. It was an industrial accident. He figured I had potential because I had a strong reolve. New York is just as important as Paris or London in many ways. There are opportunities, I can be anything. Live the dream, whatever the dream is haha."
He smiled
"what about you? Why New York?"
Still here, just quieter

Arx Nimbus

Room 173 was one of the bigger rooms. As Arx lay on the neatly made covers of the king size bed in the center of the suite he supposed he didn't look much like a "Lord Marcus Schufell". Pretending to be Lord Schufell was out of the picture... Maybe his son? Or Nephew? Arx got up and took a look in the sizeable wardrobe. Inside was a few suits and accessories of an upper class gentlemen. It looked like he'd had most of his luggage unpacked onto the ship before he boarded. Arx decided he would return anything he borrowed by the time the journey was over. Looking into it he took out a black suit and left it on the bed. He also came across a pea-button coat which he traded for his dirty brown leather one.

Arx stepped out into the corridor. Having donned his new outfit and cleaned himself up a bit he assumed he would make a much more believable Ezekiel Schufell, nephew of Lord Marcus Schufell. While Arx had been looking around in the cabin he'd found an ornate golden pocket-watch which he thought would come in useful in the near future.
Arx left the corridor and went in search of something to eat.

Alexis Voltaire

"I'm looking for new opportunities, mostly." Luke replied, not quite sure where to start. "I left London a few years ago on what was supposed to have been just a trip to Europe, and ended up working my way on passenger airships all the way to Cairo and from there to Delhi. I'd always wanted to see India for myself, ever since I'd heard the stories my grandfather used to tell from when he served in the army there.

My father wasn't really all that unhappy to hear that I'd gone off on some 'wild adventure', as he called it, and I ended up staying in India and taking a job there, as a courier and then as a writer for a one of the local papers. I hadn't intended on coming back to England, not for another few years anyway, but my stay was... cut short by a number of things. My father asked me to come back and work for him, so I took the opportunity to go back home. That didn't work out as well as I thought it would, so I used most of the money I'd had saved up to buy a ticket for this trip. I've got enough left to get started in New York, I hope, but not a lot."

He caught sight of the darkening sky through the porthole as he finished his story, and was surprised at how late it had gotten. "Looks like we'd better hurry up if we don't want to miss dinner..."
~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~

Rosalia

"I know people there," Rosie said, "I've also heard it's a great place for opportunities. I'm not the greatest at French and Paris is far too expensive."

The Corsair

"Well what are you planning to teach?"
He found himself drawn to her down-to-earth and seemingly driven nature. The girl had run away and caught a ship to America, that showed a level if bravery one would struggle to find elsewhere.
Still here, just quieter

Rosalia

"Probably history or some such. Maybe something such as literature. I don't know yet. I'm not to great at mathematics, so I'll stay away from that subject." She stated.

His intent glare was making her blush

MWBailey

"Well, then, per'aps we should go and get it, then; The Saloon and dining area's just down the corridor and up the main gangway. C'mon, I'll show ye..." Fergus motioned and shouldered his tool satchel yet again.

Man of Steam

"I will take your word for it, I've never been to Paris, but my mother is from that area. She came to Britain to be with my father, and now that they are gone, I am making my way to America." he said, an almost regretful tone in his voice.
"my dream is to be a world famous actor, and if you can make it in America, you can make it anyway. As to our companions, they all seem like a decent lot. I give them all immense credit for taking this voyage, and it is my hope that we stay in touch once we make it to New York."  Alex looked at Cenek for a second.
"As for you, you are certainly one of the most interesting individuals I have ever met, and that is a good thing" he laughed.
"Now, how about we find us something to eat, I'm starving"

Vancouver Air Privateer

"I am sorry your parents are gone." said Cenek honestly. "I do not even know wether mine live or have died since. But I am sure your parents would be proud if you were a famed actor. And I would stay in touch with you to say that I am good friends with a famous actor!"

Cenek laughed as he followed Alex to find food. "I am glad though that I interest you. As an actor, you know that being memorable can have its benefits, no?"

Man of Steam

"I am glad though that I interest you. As an actor, you know that being memorable can have its benefits, no?"

"of course, I intend to take full use of these benefits, maybe travel the world, and of course I would stay in touch with you. I can count the number of people I know in America on one hand and still have five fingers remaining." Alex said with a grin.

Arx Nimbus

The moment Arx stepped into the mess hall the buzz of conversation reached his ears. The low hum from the civilized and the occasional hearty laughter from the crewmen. The mess hall was fairly full around this time of the evening, everyone was getting their dinner.
He noticed Falko and Rosie chatting idly on their table near the edge of the room. They didn't recognize him though because of his new polished look. Grabbing a seat, positioned on the opposite side of the room, Arx sat and waited to be served... If thats how the food system worked.
The stars could now be seen through the windows on the edge of the hall. He decided he would wait until someone he knew sat down somewhere else. They wouldn't notice him without a close up look and the only chance of them sitting on his table would be by bad luck.

MWBailey

Fergus led Luke into the Mess Hall. "ere we are. Looks like we're supposed to seat ourselves; masybe they'll send stewards out to take our orders or give us the courses for dinner." He waved in the general area of thr rather smallish bar and said, "Saloon be over there, if'n ye fancy a wee drop later. D'you see anyone here you'd like to join fer the evenin' meal?"