News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Directory of Steampunk Groups in the United Kingdom.

Started by Mr Addams, February 18, 2011, 08:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorrigan

We could do Preston too - we're (the OH & I) are in East Manchester.

Jorrigan
Teeeeea!

Professor Bevel

Quote from: Zuzu on September 14, 2011, 01:25:04 PM
Quote from: Professor Bevel on September 14, 2011, 01:06:20 PM
I shall get together with the chaps and the ladies and sort out something for Preston, for there are a number of us, enough to - we think - support at least one event this month, for which tickets are, I hear from my man, selling satisfyingly.

Preston is within our travelling range (if we take lodgings over night at an Inn)..... will keep an eye open for future events.  (thats not the royal WE although it is "my husband and I")

Excellent to hear.  The venue we usually use for get-togethers is right across the road from Preston's Holiday Inn, a number of folks use it for our monthly vintage dancehall nights (which are more vanilla retro, although there are usually a few steamers present getting their swing on).
You know what this situation calls for?  More gin.

Lady Mina

We can do (giggles) Preston too, just down the road from us in Lancaster.
Not sure if we are free till december time though, will check the calendar.

ArmintaFresche

Nottingham Steampunk Social
A new group on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/149446048481895/?notif_t=group_r2j
Please join the group to keep updated on Nottingham events and post your own ideas.
Arminta X
"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it" ;-)

GuiseOne

Ladies and Gentlemen,

May I take this opportunity to announce that the intrepid Dr. Margaret Heathen has forged through both cunning and guile a splendid new steampunk association based on the south coast.
In keeping with Mr Adams' initial guidelines she would like to announce the details as follows;

GROUP NAME: The Royal Brightonian Steampunk Society.

LOCATION or AREA: Brighton, East Sussex

DETAILS OF GROUP: The Society has been formed to create a convenient place for Sussex based steampunks to exchange ideas, share links to places of interest both in the real world and on the æthernet and make the acquaintance of other likeminded souls.
Various meetings and excursions will be organised to take place in Brighton and in the surrounding area.
The Society also aims to create and maintain close links with other Sussex steampunk groups to promote good relations and work in harmony with regards to event organising and information exchange.
Membership is free to all and everyone is welcome to join the group whether they are a Sussex resident or not.

MEETINGS: Currently, meetings will be held at irregular intervals and details of upcoming events will be posted to the group page. In the future (depending on interest and numbers) we may move towards a more regular meeting.

WEBSITE: Facebook only at present, however a 'real' website may be created in the future.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/286430191370879/

CONTACT DETAILS: Please direct enquiries on this forum to Dr. Margaret Heathen.
On Facebook, Lisa Lennon, myself Nick Gibson or to fellow group administrator Luci Hammond.

Please do drop by and peruse the group postings and any request to join will be more than welcome.

Be seeing you.

Mr Addams

As an easy referece, I have listed the groups that have posted their details in this topic so far, in the first post.
But for convenience, here it is.

So far, The following groups are listed in this Directory.

1) League of Essextraordinary Gentlemen.       -  In and around the county of Essex.
2) The Lincoln Steampunk Society                 -  Lincoln and the surrounding county of Lincolnshire
3) The Victorian Steampunk Society              -  Across the UK and further afield
4) The League of Bournemouth Steampunks    -  Bournemouth area
5) The Royal Didgible Corps                          -  UK and worldwide
6) London And Western Counties Steampunk Society - London, Middlesex, Surrey, Herts & Bucks
7) Bristol Steampunk, Airship Pirate and Neo-Victorian League - Bristol and surrounding
8) Chepstow & Area Steampunk Society         -  South East Wales
9) Glasgow University 'e' Steampunk Society   -  Glasgow, Scotland
10) Swansea Steampunk Association              -  Swansea/West Wales
11) The West Midlands Steampunk Assembly   -  Birmingham and West Midlands
12) Cottonopolis Coglective's                        -  Greater Manchester and The City of Manchester
13) Yorkshire Steampunk Coal-ition                -  Yorkshire (Leeds and York and Harrogate)
14) The Noble and Sacred Order of Gogcogs    -  North Wales
15) The Royal Brightonian Steampunk Society  -  Brighton, East Sussex

Also, Take a look at the STEAMPUNK ATLAS

Matthias Gladstone

Didn't know this was here; quick update from my end:

GROUP NAME: SS Hammerhead castle

LOCATION or AREA: Nationwide

DETAILS OF GROUP: Steampunk Folk Society - members meet at steampunk events and sing

MEETINGS: Existing events, where appropriate

WEBSITE: (If applicable) https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/234409629940197/

CONTACT DETAILS: facebook ideally, or pm Matthias Gladstone on BG.

Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/

Professor Bevel

It is with no small pleasure that, further to my message herein of the 14th Ultimo, I have the honour to announce the formation today of the Retrofuturists of the County Palatine of Lancashire, following the success of our first Ball.  It is our sincere and earnest hope that our Large and Swinging Balls will be a Delight and Inspiration to All in the coming years, and we are pleased to announce that the Most Distinguished Professor Elemental has Kindly Consented to Entertain The Gentlefolk proposing to assemble at our Next Ball on 4th February next following.

Without further ado, I shall furnish all with Our Particulars:

GROUP NAME: Retrofuturists of the County Palatine of Lancashire

LOCATION or AREA: The Eponymous County Palatine

DETAILS OF GROUP: All persons having an Interest in Steampunk Balls are Welcome.

MEETINGS: The Aforementioned Balls, together with all such other Events as Our Members shall put forward which we are able to find the Resources to Support

WEBSITE: Our Aetheric Symposium may be found at http://www.facebook.com/groups/182901761786202/

CONTACT DETAILS: via the aforementioend Symposium, if it should please you, or direct to myself.

Professor Bevel

For those putting pins in maps, I should add that we're headquartered in Preston, Lancashire.

LadyOpheliaGrace

I would like to know if there's anyone else from Kent and if not which group should I join? I believe the efforts of the London and West Home Counties group not to tread on the toes of our dear Essex friends, has left the county of Kent rather under represented. Sussex at least has a BRighton group and I wonder if historically, Kent is not a county associated with steam innovation (What with it being the home town of Captain Swing and the swing rioters). We has the earliest railway connecting London to the sea in 1846 and lots of wonderful seaside funfairs and Dickens and Steam ships at Chatham and Rochester.

Mr Addams

My Dear Lady Ophelia,
One of the purposes of this Directory is to foster communication  between groups, not to encourage competition.
There is already a Southend Steampunk Society that falls within the boundaries of Essex, and they are welcome to any of our events. The presence of a group covering a wide catchment aria should not prevent the formation of localized groups within that aria, and if the different groups cooperate with each other, it is to the benefit of all.
The existence of the League of Essextraordinary gentlemen should not have any effect on the formation of a Kent group, and the existence of a Kent group should not prevent people from that county crossing the border to Essex to attend a gathering if they so wish, Likewise, we have members who would be happy to travel to Kent to support anything going on in that county. Indeed, I am hoping to organize a gathering in Tilbury next summer, that would be closer for occupants of your county than it will be for many of our members.
In short, you are very welcome to join the League of Essex if you wish to, but do not let that prevent you from Joining, or even forming, a group closer to home. 

LadyOpheliaGrace

quote author=Mr Addams link=topic=29298.msg720276#msg720276 date=1318690972]
My Dear Lady Ophelia,
One of the purposes of this Directory is to foster communication  between groups, not to encourage competition.
There is already a Southend Steampunk Society that falls within the boundaries of Essex, and they are welcome to any of our events. The presence of a group covering a wide catchment aria should not prevent the formation of localized groups within that aria, and if the different groups cooperate with each other, it is to the benefit of all.
The existence of the League of Essextraordinary gentlemen should not have any effect on the formation of a Kent group, and the existence of a Kent group should not prevent people from that county crossing the border to Essex to attend a gathering if they so wish, Likewise, we have members who would be happy to travel to Kent to support anything going on in that county. Indeed, I am hoping to organize a gathering in Tilbury next summer, that would be closer for occupants of your county than it will be for many of our members.
In short, you are very welcome to join the League of Essex if you wish to, but do not let that prevent you from Joining, or even forming, a group closer to home. 
[/quote]

Jolly good. My main concern was the lack of overlap and I would be honoured to join your Society.

Mr Addams

And we would be delighted to have you join us.
We have no formal membership as such, I would however ask that you join the League Yahoo email group, as this is the main way that we keep in touch with each other. You can find a link to the Yahoo group on the first page of our website.
We also have a facebook page now.

MillicentFinnVonHerts

Bahaha surprise surprise nothing around the peterborough area,
but yay Nottingham Steampunk Social I think you just made my life, uni has just got that much better :D

Matthias Gladstone

GROUP NAME: Southampton University Steampunk Society - Krakensoc

LOCATION or AREA: University of Southampton

DETAILS OF GROUP: Uni Steampunk group - alumni and local steampunks welcome as well.

MEETINGS: Friday nights, every two weeks or monthly. Trips out to steam railways, museums etc.

CONTACT DETAILS: Matthias Gladstone on these forums, or ms38g10(at)soton(dot)ac(dot)uk
Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/

helenelizza

Quote from: Professor Smedley Smythe on August 03, 2011, 11:47:42 AM
Hello good sir, we are a bit thin on the ground here in Norwich to say the least. I dont know of any official Steampunk groups around here. As yet there is only myself, Captain Saberhagan and your good self that use the Brass Goggles Forum from the Norwich area.
I do however keep putting the shout out. I think we should hold our own mini flash mob meeting (very mini !) what do you think?

(shouts into a megaphone) "Hello is there anyone near us?"

I'm heading to Norwich for the next few days for work ... from the NORTH
Is there any meeting up underway in the evenings ahead?

... just planning my packing!

toodle-pip

Tiberious.R

Hmmm, we seem to be a bit thin on the ground in Cambridgeshire. Any groups in the region got anything going on?

LadyAsprin

GROUP NAME: Edinburgh Steampunk Society - name may change

LOCATION or AREA:  Edinburgh, Scotland

DETAILS OF GROUP: To provide a chance for the steampunks of Edinburgh to be able to plot world domination, sorry, meet for tea.

MEETINGS: None at the moment but hoping to get regular pub/tea shop meets.

CONTACT DETAILS: via LadyAsprin or the facebook group.
Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)

greensteam

Quote from: LadyAsprin on December 31, 2011, 12:05:38 AM
GROUP NAME: Edinburgh Steampunk Society - name may change

LOCATION or AREA:  Edinburgh, Scotland

DETAILS OF GROUP: To provide a chance for the steampunks of Edinburgh to be able to plot world domination, sorry, meet for tea.

MEETINGS: None at the moment but hoping to get regular pub/tea shop meets.

CONTACT DETAILS: via LadyAsprin or the facebook group.
Well done, LadyA. As always in steampunk, the best way to get what we want is to do it ourselves.
So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.

Spook

GROUP NAME: Steampunk Travellers of East Anglia and the (East) Midlands. S.T.E.A.M.

LOCATION or AREA: The East Anglia and East Midlands.

DETAILS OF GROUP: A group designed to keep up to date with what is going on in our area and to  advertise meetings, gigs, socials, bands, merchandise or what ever tickles your fancy.

MEETINGS: Area is too big for regular meetings but they are advertised on our site so you can choose one nearest to where you live.

CONTACT DETAILS: Via Facebook
Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.

Mister P

Quote from: Professor Smedley Smythe on August 03, 2011, 11:47:42 AM(shouts into a megaphone) "Hello is there anyone near us?"

No need to shout dear boy :P

Just because we live in the forested mountains of Norfolk, it doesn't mean we are all deaf.. (Although it did take a while for me to hear you).

DreamHazard

for those interested, we're running a UK only site now, we tried to get an international thing going but it was just too much work for two people. You can find a more detailed explaination, and details of where the site's planned to go in the future, at http://steampunkatlas.com/2012/02/29/uk-steampunk-atlas/

Professor Smedley Smythe

Ah my good man, great to hear from you deep in the wilds of the county. As you know we do seem to be on the very fringes of SP society (like a frontier land). It is our civic duty to bring the message of Steam to the east. Keep in contact, keep the kettle full and the tea brewing!
Ive seen a Steampunk....and Ive seen a punk steamed!!!
                                       Nasty!

SteamBlast Mary

Quote from: Mr Addams on September 23, 2011, 09:23:26 AM

11) Name? We're not that organised               -  Birmingham and West Midlands

Also, Take a look at the STEAMPUNK ATLAS

Um, you know that probably doesn't reflect very well on us. So, barring objections [and we did have an objection when the FB was named] I think we shall stick with "The West Midlands Steampunk Assembly", if that's OK?

Current thread for events here:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35584.msg777781.html#new

~ and the Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/112830022111733/

Many thanks to the folk who are investing their time and effort into keeping track of these things~ it is appreciated!
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

Nocturnia Pussycat

Greetings from Kent.

GROUP NAME: Great Kentspectations

LOCATION or AREA: Kent

DETAILS OF GROUP: We're a fledgling group at the moment. Created after seeing the Steampunks at the Chatham Dockyard where they suggested  there should be a group down here, so we took on the challenge and hope to meet up with all Kentish men and maids or maids and men of Kent (depending on which side of the river).

MEETINGS: Our first one is going to be at the Rochester Dickens festival and from then on.......

CONTACT DETAILS: find us on face book