News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Aid for those not so dexterous with the æther (how to post links and images)

Started by Pheobsky, August 05, 2007, 11:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

proteus

Quote from: JR Murray on October 10, 2012, 10:21:44 AM
it let you browse and choose directly from the file on your computer/harddrive, no internet uploading to photosites necessary. Sooooo easy.

Unfortunately, because Brass Goggles is hosted in the US it is subject to the DMCA; a piece of legislation that requires us to have a process in place to deal with copyright infringement claims in order to protect ourselves from liability. Hosting images ourselves makes that process a lot more complicated and fraught; the Steampunk Empire uses a platform called Ning that handles all that for them (in exchange, the Empire has somewhat less flexibility in terms of implementing forum features).

I have had excellent success using Minus[/i] as an image host -- merely drag and drop a photo to upload, then copy the "direct link" it gives you for use on the forum.
--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!

JR Murray

Cheers!

Ian Mcbean

I'm rather rather computer illiterate, hence my question. In entering one's signature, where does one enter it, in the box for reply? Thanks for the assistance.

Siliconous Skumins

Quote from: Ian Mcbean on April 14, 2013, 12:26:54 AM
I'm rather rather computer illiterate, hence my question. In entering one's signature, where does one enter it, in the box for reply? Thanks for the assistance.

Signatures are assigned in your user profile. At the top of the page (all BG forum pages...), under the "Steampunk Forum" banner, there is a small bar with various options (Home, Help, Search, and Profile,etc). Click 'profile' and on the box at the left of the new page, click the "Forum Profile Information" option. Near the bottom of this page is the box where you can write your message signature (you cant miss it). Finally at the very bottom right of the page, click the "change profile" button. Done!  :)

Your message signature will only appear once in posting to *each* new topic, additional posts in the same thread will not show the sig (to save forum bandwith).

Hope that helps.  :)

SS
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

von Corax

Quote from: Siliconous Skumins on April 14, 2013, 01:38:39 AM
Your message signature will only appear once in posting to *each* new topic, additional posts in the same thread will not show the sig (to save forum bandwith).
I thought it was your first post on each page, isn't it? Let me just check...

EDIT: Yes, once per page.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

ForestB

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com

maduncle

"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

creagmor

I am so new to this kind of thing that only do I not know how to start a thread, I don't even know the proper place to find out. Sorry for hijacking this one.

C.
"Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things." Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.

Siliconous Skumins

Quote from: creagmor on March 26, 2014, 04:07:25 PM
I am so new to this kind of thing that only do I not know how to start a thread, I don't even know the proper place to find out. Sorry for hijacking this one.

C.

In every forum section (Tactile, Trading, this one etc.) there is a small tab near the top right of the page, which reads " Mark Read  |  Notify  |  New Topic  |  Post new poll" - simply click on "New Topic" and give it a title and the text of your new topic. Try to keep the new thread 'on topic' for the respective forum sections (if unsure, check the 'Posting guidelines' thread which is a 'sticky' topic at the top of the list of topics in each section).

Hope that helps.  :)

Any problems, feel free to ask here.
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

creagmor

"Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things." Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.