News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Aid for those not so dexterous with the æther (how to post links and images)

Started by Pheobsky, August 05, 2007, 11:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork creation

I am a freak in control not a control freak

jringling

Where-Oh_Where can I put an animated .gif for my signature?  I have tried flickr...no gifs allowed...
I have tried DeviantArt, but size makes it not work...

Where does everyone else put theirs?

Thanks in advance

Ottens

NEVER WAS MAGAZINE: Steampunk, dieselpunk, retro-futurism and alternate history.

Miss Millicent Eudora Morley

I'm having problems even getting my profile pic to load. Something about it being unwritable. Is this because the host site is not UK?
Heeeeeelp! (sorry...very new here....so trying to be cool...)
"I'm afraid if you poke that specimen again, I shall have to shoot you."
~to a previous 'customer'

JingleJoe

Ahoy there Miss Morl :)
Thats a problem everyone has been having, to solve it upload your pic to photobucket or imageshack (make sure it's 60 by 60 pixles) and use the URL option :)
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

Miss Millicent Eudora Morley

Ah ha! Will flickr work?
I'm loathe to open yet ANOTHER host page. LOL!
Millicent Eudora Morley (still waiting for admin to fix my name)
"I'm afraid if you poke that specimen again, I shall have to shoot you."
~to a previous 'customer'

Palmyrin Rosette

I don't think that Flickr will work. I have followed exactly the advice in this thread for using the spoiler, img etc.. method and my image from Flickr does not appear. On browsing the Forum generally I have only found (so far) images hosted on Photobucket  and other sites, but none on Flickr.

Also I looked up Page Info under Tools in Firefox and any Flickr links are greyed out. Perhaps there is some incompatibility between Flickr and the software on which the Brassgoggles forum is  run?

Neither have I been able to upload an Avatar !   :'(
Have you ever been alive?
Curious sensation isn't it..

jringling

Flickr works for photos... it is all that I use. However, Flickr will not work for animated GIFs...

Palmyrin Rosette

I've now managed to get it working with Flickr, I was copying the address from the main address line and not from the element properties box (under Firefox) :)

Have you ever been alive?
Curious sensation isn't it..

shadowhaint

Greetings,
Does anyone else have problems (or better yet successes) with posting images from Picasa? I have a mac running firefox, and I found out that the pictures that I had been posting on my blogs in Blogger were being put on Picasa web albums for me. Which seemed like a good place to keep them on the web.  A while back Google got Picasa for mac going and I use it for my image urls but I seem to have had mixed results on getting images to appear on this forum. Any clues?

Thank you
shadowhaint
Yes, I am in touch with reality - it's just that I don't care much for it

Capt. Dirigible

I've been on other forums and usually there is an option in one's profile to 'add signature' or 'add avatar'. I have scoured my profile  from top to bottom and cannot see any such option, so..how do I add an avatar and sig to my posts?

Apologies if I'm being really thick..just not familiar with this particular forum set up.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Capt. D.
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

proteus

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on June 04, 2009, 06:37:01 PM
I've been on other forums and usually there is an option in one's profile to 'add signature' or 'add avatar'. I have scoured my profile  from top to bottom and cannot see any such option, so..how do I add an avatar and sig to my posts?

Apologies if I'm being really thick..just not familiar with this particular forum set up.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Capt. D.

Visit your profile. On the left-hand side, in the "Modify Profile" section, you'll find a link that says "Forum Profile Information". Click it, and you can set all kinds of information about yourself, including your avatar and your signature.
--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!

Capt. Dirigible

Obviously I didn't scour it thoroughly enough. Thanks Proteus, much obliged.

Edit:

Ok so I've got my avatar up (but sadly it's no longer animated!..the little cogs were whirring round when I found it but they are now sadly static) but I cannot figure out how I add a signature picture. It appears to only let me enter text but I see quite a few members have lovely pics for their signatures. How do I do that?

Nikola Tesla

I did a little experimentation, Capt. Dirigible, and found that images can be added to one's signature using a third party hosting service and the "img" tags.  (I added one to my signature, but took it down right away because it was rather large and not especially steampunk, which is why you don't see it there now.  It was just for purposes of the experiment anyway).

If you need more step-by-step instructions (I am not assuming you do, Captain, but some other reader might), what you do is this:

1) Register with a hosting service, there are plenty of free ones.  Or use your own website.  Follow the instructions there to upload the image you want.  Note: using img tags and uploading straight from your device does not seem to work.  I tried that during the experiment. To do this the image has to be on the web somewhere, whether from a hosting service or on your own website.  Additional note:  If the image isn't "yours", please restrict yourself to public domain images or those that one has been invited to download/share.  No one wants to see BG get in trouble for anything copyright related.

2) Log in and open your "modify profile" here.

4) Copy/paste the link from the hosting service to the signature box.  Make sure the tags are the "img" ones, and that they're in there only once; sometimes the hosting service has added them for you.  Also make sure no additional url tags or anything like that have been added.

5) Click the change profile button and go check one of your recent posts.

There may be another way to add these images, but I have at least verified that this way works. :)
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.

Capt. Dirigible

I'm obliged, Mr Tesla. I'm already registered with Photobucket so this should work..thanks!

Darkview

lam wanting to upload an avatar but it wont let me??? lve done this before on other forums and have 60x60 jpg / png and gif versions but none will upload, any help would be appreciated :)

JingleJoe

maybe the file size is too big? If you upload it to an image hosting site then use the url option that should work :)
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

proteus

Quote from: Darkview on August 19, 2009, 08:14:23 AM
lam wanting to upload an avatar but it wont let me??? lve done this before on other forums and have 60x60 jpg / png and gif versions but none will upload, any help would be appreciated :)

Apparently there were some attempts at unauthorized access a few days ago, and the security system automatically blocked upload access.  This is fixed now, and you should be able to upload your avatar.
--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!

sallyinwales

I'm trying to put a banner in where my signature would go, and I think I'm doing something wrong. I'm trying this- but nothing is showing up, and I'm not good enough with BB code to see if its something daft or if I'm mising something out?

eta oh rats, I can't even post my code in here, it just vanishes. But its
(open square bracket)url=the website address(close square bracket) (open square bracket) img]address of flickr where image is currently hosted[/img][/url (close square bracket)

Major Willoughby Chase

Well, first lesson, to insert code so that you can see it, use the hash button to the left of the quote button on the post editor..

then you get one of these boxes...

So what you're trying to achieve is:
[url=ADDRESS][img]PICTURE[/img][/url]
[url=www.brassgoggles.co.uk][img]http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg_theme/forumtheme/forumbannerbig.png[/img][/url]
Which gives you

Could you drop me a PM, or post here the code you are using and I'll happily help you out :)

sallyinwales

Thanks, lets try out the hash button then:
[url=http://www.sallypointer.com/shop][img]http://flic.kr/p/9qAfQV/[/img][/url]

if its not the code, is it sizing or something like that maybe?

Major Willoughby Chase

Ah yes, I see your problem, that isn't an image link.

[url=http://www.sallypointer.com/shop][img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5291/5529133789_0100c78d88_b.jpg[/img][/url]

sallyinwales

aha, wonderful! thank you so much, I knew it was probably just me being stupid.
That will do the trick admirably for now, and I shall endeavour to create something a bit sleeker and less fuzzy in due course.

Take one 'hero of the day' award :-*

Major Willoughby Chase

Woohoo, snogs from a hot redhead... my day doesn't get better!  However, it is certainly not you being stupid, ever since Flickr 'improved' the user interface it has been a real mare...

All you need to do with flicker, when viewiing the image, right click on it, select the size you want to view (if it's not the right size don't worry, it takes you to the page where you can pick what size), then once you're there right click again and Copy Image Location (or whatever your browser calls it).

Happy to help.

Hollywood Jim

I've been looking for a good place to practice posting pictures and such.  This looks like a good place.

Testing   Testing

And now the spoiler.

Oh man I love the spell check !!

Can someone tell me if we are required to use the spoiler?  Or do people use it just so their text is all visible when they post several pictures?