News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The rocket pack collective thread

Started by maduncle, March 24, 2011, 11:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maets

I certainly wouldn't mind having numbers for each pack, but I'll let others decide.  I'm just having fun making them. 

maduncle

Quote from: Maets on April 26, 2011, 04:56:58 PM
I certainly wouldn't mind having numbers for each pack, but I'll let others decide.  I'm just having fun making them. 

Hey - I got 21 numbers sitting here, so any new rocket pack photo posted on the thread gets one, (I reckon).
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

Maets

Thanks!  Any more thoughts on the book?  How can we reemburse you for the numbers, postage, etc.?

maduncle

No reimbursement required for numbers and postage - I am having too much fun and it only costs me a couple of bucks anyway.

As for the book - I don't want to do anything 'mythical' with characters and a plot and maps and such, it is not a steampunk book - what I want to do is a 'real people' book with rocket pack makers posing with their builds (in costume or not) on a simple black backdrop (might have to photoshop that in).

I am inspired by a book called 'the one motorcycle' which is published on the blurb website and is all about a motorcycle show where the makers were photographed with their bikes, and they spoke a bit about their project.

So it would be a book called 'the rocket pack collective' published on blurb so people can order it online, and it would feature 'real people', their rocket packs and their stories.

Maets

Thanks.  It has been fun!

I would be honored to participate.
I'll besure to take lots of pictures.  What res does works best for Blurb?

maduncle

Don't know what res is required yet for blurb - but I will look into it sometime soon.

I would still like to see another 20 rocket packs on the thread before I commit to a book.

Maets

I agree we need more, alot more.  Thought a discussion of benefits might get a few more off the ground and into the air.

What has been so great about this thread is how it shows the possibilities.  I freely admit to "stealing" ideas from both Herr Dokter and from Maduncle.  I am hoping for more inspiration.  There are a limitless selections of weapons to use as models if you want to build your own guns, but the available models for rocket pack designs are orders of magnitude less. 

Thanks!

Mr Addams

I have been working on a backstory for the rocket Pack collective, which I intended to pass on to Maduncle for approval.
Sadly my father passed away, so my mind has been on other things, but hopefully I will be able to get a rough draft together before too long, which I shall send out. But please bear with me for a while.

Maets

Sorry to hear about your father.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a back story. 

Maets

Quote from: Otto Von Pifka on April 26, 2011, 07:53:17 AM
I have been totally blocked on making a pack, can't find anything that looks even remotely rocketish. bah humbug.

May I suggest heading to the local motorcycle shop.  I just got a pile of motorcycle mufflers that will be perfect for the rockets.  Turns out, replacing stock mufflers if very common and the stock ones have little value.  Just paid scrap steel price.  The weight is very reasonable and they are nice and shiny.  Hope this is of some help.

Maets

Here is the test fire of the third rocket pack.  More action on the center stabilizing nozzle.  Having fun.
DSCN9835

bicyclebuilder

With all due respect, I like all your creations, but I think this one is the best.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30579.0/topicseen.html#lastPost

Technicly not a rocket pack, but what's in a name?
The best way to learn is by personal experience.

Mr Addams

Quote from: bicyclebuilder on May 05, 2011, 06:45:41 AM
With all due respect, I like all your creations, but I think this one is the best.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30579.0/topicseen.html#lastPost

Technicly not a rocket pack, but what's in a name?

That is fantastic.
Not a rocket pack though.
Having said that, I see no reason why a rocket pack should not incorporate wings for additional lift and stability.
Oh, and additional Cool.

maduncle

Wow!

@ Maets - love the video of Maets rocket pack #3 being tested, and it is red too I notice. Let me know when you want more numbers.

@ Bicyclebuilder, thanks for pointing out the wings, they are amazing and I had not seen them.

@ Mr.Addams, I look forward to the back story for the book.

Tomorrow will see my rocket pack at the Steampump event in Melbourne, where I will not be wearing it but it will be available for others to put on and be photographed in. Meanwhile my rocket pack is sitting on a table in our otherwise empty shop window, just to intrigue the passers by as to what sort of shop we are opening.

WillRockwell

Quote from: Maets on May 04, 2011, 10:57:03 PM
Here is the test fire of the third rocket pack.  More action on the center stabilizing nozzle.  Having fun.
DSCN9835

You and I are currently the only submissions to the Texas Steampunk competition and after watching this video, I almost feel I should throw in the towel.

Maets

@Bicyclebuilder - I must admit to being a big fan of the wings.  I was dreaming about wings last night as a result.  

@maduncle - The red was a direct inspiration from your great pack. I never paint anything and after painting this one I know why.  I think in general I will stick to clear coating.

@willrockwell - Thanks.  I am continually inspired by your work. 90% sure I will be in Waltham on Saturday.  Will stop in.

maduncle

I love the action shots Maets - just brilliant!

WillRockwell

Had the pleasure of meeting Maets at the festival in Boston and got to spend a good amount of time with him. He was wearing one of his rocket packs - most impressive.

Maets

Taking the rocket pack for a stroll at Steam City in Waltham, MA

Xenos

Is that a copper CANE you're sporting?   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

Maets

Yep.  All decked out in my finest. ;D
Here is a better picture of the cane.

Atlas Fishard

Sorry, I mean this is just too marvelous to indulge my small mind on,

I need to meditate on this,

With Regards,
A

wrenchhead

Quote from: Maets on May 10, 2011, 11:53:26 AM

Is that a V6 steam cane? :D

-Jake

Xenos

Quote from: Maets on May 10, 2011, 11:53:26 AM

My.

GOD.

I just want to *touch* it...  I mean... wait, that sounded so dirty...  Um...

Nice cane there, Maets!
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

maduncle

Maduncle and rocket pack at the Steampumped event in Melbourne last week.

I left the rocket pack with the photographers so others could try it on and be photographed in it, people had great fun posing with it.