News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The rocket pack collective thread

Started by maduncle, March 24, 2011, 11:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas MSwift

Mine will be starting soon!
  Not using the rucksack frame as a base for mine...I have an old bass drum backpack as my packframe. And I am using the 'nozzles over the shoulder' approach as well...photos soon!
"The realm between planets is filled with the luminiferous ether."

Maets

Welcome to the Rocket Pack Collective.  Look forward to seeing your rocket pack.

helios

I've sketched up a design for mine. I haven't a clue when or how I'll be able to build it, but still. I'll clean up the sketch at some point, and perhaps post it.
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

maduncle

Concept sketches, design drawings, build photos - all welcome!
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

Thomas MSwift

For tanks, I might suggest the disposable fire extinguishers that must be discarded after use...they're aluminum and cooperate with power drills well.
  I have a pair of heavily-made ornate brass candlesticks about a foot long each to be my nozzles, and am using PVC pipe as most of my plumbing (not yet sure how I will render it less blatant just yet...have several approaches to this and am not committed to any one just yet).
"The realm between planets is filled with the luminiferous ether."

Xenos

I shall start upon my concept drawarings upon the morrow!  I'm thinking mine needs to be *somewhat* art deco, though...  It just *feels* right, ya know?

I've got an idea how I want the back-worn one to look-I'm also bouncing around the idea of a "ride-on" kit, similar to the one in Steamboy (WONDERFUL film).

I also want to incorperate liquor bottles somehow... 

DONT JUDGE ME!  *shifty eyes*
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

maduncle

Quote from: Xenos on May 15, 2011, 12:09:22 AM
I shall start upon my concept drawarings upon the morrow!  I'm thinking mine needs to be *somewhat* art deco, though...  It just *feels* right, ya know?

I've got an idea how I want the back-worn one to look-I'm also bouncing around the idea of a "ride-on" kit, similar to the one in Steamboy (WONDERFUL film).

I do like the deco theme idea Xenos, it does fit with the genre and will allow the use of some wonderful old decorative parts, have you looked at deco brass candle holder brackets off old piano's? I seem to find them every where I go but never have a use for them.
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

Xenos

Quote from: maduncle on May 15, 2011, 10:57:09 PM
Quote from: Xenos on May 15, 2011, 12:09:22 AM

I do like the deco theme idea Xenos, it does fit with the genre and will allow the use of some wonderful old decorative parts, have you looked at deco brass candle holder brackets off old piano's? I seem to find them every where I go but never have a use for them.

I had not, but I have now!  ;) 

What I'm looking at doing is sort of a wood/brass/steel "streamlined" design, like the "Steamliners" of the 30s and 40s. 

And as my father now has a job at the local thrift store/mission, and is trying to get me a part time job there (50% off all items, 10 free items of cloths A MONTH), I should be quite set for materials!

Still looking on a way to use liquor bottles...
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Maets

Quote from: Xenos on May 16, 2011, 05:24:23 AM
I think we could help you with full ones.  Empty ones, not so much. ;D

Johanvonred

well done !

for some time ( maybe counted in years by now .... )  i got simmilar idea :) .
I still got the same frame .

By the way , it is old Swiss Army rucksack , not Swedish .

Xenos

Quote from: Maets on May 16, 2011, 11:52:21 AM
Quote from: Xenos on May 16, 2011, 05:24:23 AM
I think we could help you with full ones.  Empty ones, not so much. ;D

If ever you're around Winston-Salem, NC, drop me a line-I'll see what I cant work out! ;)

Maets

Thanks, I keep that in mind.

Did have a thought on the empties.  Make them part of a display stand for the rocket pack as the "refueling" for the pack.

Xenos

Quote from: Maets on May 16, 2011, 07:46:18 PM
Thanks, I keep that in mind.

Did have a thought on the empties.  Make them part of a display stand for the rocket pack as the "refueling" for the pack.

That may be the rout I take...  I'll need at least three bottles of the Kraken (it looks victorian), and a couple of the Good Captain's Private Stock...  *Starts Sketching*  And move that over here... *measures*  with a couple... *more drawing*

Now if only I had a SCANNER... ;D

Herr Döktor

An update on my progress, including:

Spoiler: ShowHide

A helmet.

;)

Maets

Maets

I have also been busy.  Here is my latest rocket pack.  It is based on a motorcycle muffler and has movable wings for added lift.  Shown on its stand, but without the straps. Debating a painting scheme.

The wings in full dive position.

Maets

But wait there's more.  I have also made my first jet pack.  A little different in that this one has air intakes at the top. Used two motorcycle muffers that I cut down.  Stand from a motorcycle sprocket.

Musist

Would that be classed as Dieselpunk?

Amazing work and vision, it certainly looks the business!

I for one won't be betting against you building a fully working rocket-pack some time in one of the not-too-distant futures.

Regards, S
Elphinn H. Steelvolte

The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be.
Ambroise-Paul-Toussaint-Jules Valéry

Captain Shipton Bellinger

Quote from: Maets on May 17, 2011, 12:23:45 AM
I have also been busy.  Here is my latest rocket pack.  It is based on a motorcycle muffler and has movable wings for added lift...

My word, Maets; I do believe that this is my favourite of your rocket packs so far. Simply splendid work.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Xenos

*Looks at the previous work of both the good Doctor and Maets*

Yeah, I cannot compete with that...  I'll just shuffle away now...   :-[

Dr cornelius quack

Nil Desporandum, Mr. Xenos!!

Don't be put off by the sleek, professional appearance of the work of others.The conquest of the skies cannot be left solely in the hands of the technically competent. That's how the Morlocks and the Eloi started out.
If there is one thing I've learned from watching all those George Formby and Norman Wisdom films, it is that a Plucky underdog with a machine held together by string will always triumph over the supposed might of soulless engineering perfection.

Now, back to the shed with you and get out that twine.
Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

Maets

Quote from: Xenos on May 17, 2011, 06:10:37 AM
*Looks at the previous work of both the good Doctor and Maets*

Yeah, I cannot compete with that...  I'll just shuffle away now...   :-[
The point of this forum and this thread is to inspire.  I have been greatly inspired by the work of others and it has helped me immensely to see what the others have done.  My latest rocket pack with wings came after first seeing the beautiful Icarus wings ( which are completely! different) then dreaming of rocket packs with wings.  If I hadn't seen that excellent wood working of wings, I probably won't have dreamed of a winged rocket pack and this unit would not exist.
You are only limited by what you can dream.
Quote from: Dr cornelius quack on May 17, 2011, 06:39:30 AM
Now, back to the shed with you and get out that twine.

Drew P

Herr Doktor: That helmet is utterly fantastic! Now,I want to make one.
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Maets

I'll have all five rocket packs at the Steampunk Worlds Fair.  Stop in to see them in person, take them for a test flight or have your picture taken wearing one. 
Or just stop in and say hi!

Thanks!

Xenos

Quote from: Maets on May 17, 2011, 11:07:18 PM
I'll have all five rocket packs at the Steampunk Worlds Fair.  Stop in to see them in person, take them for a test flight or have your picture taken wearing one. 
Or just stop in and say hi!

Thanks!

When/where/how much?  And is it too late to book rooms for 3? :D