News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The rocket pack collective thread

Started by maduncle, March 24, 2011, 11:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maduncle

Update:

I have just placed an order request with Optical Tripology (my good friend and signwriting artist extrodinaire) for vinyl racing numbers, black numerals on white ovals 75mm x 100mm, first batch will be numbers 1 to 25.

1, 2 and 3 are gone - 4 goes to the next rocket pack build photo who also PM's me a mailling address.
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

Mr Addams

I think that "The Rocket pack" is also a good informal name for the organization to which the registrations apply.
Does anybody have a suggestion for an official name?

A sister organization to The Royal Dirigible Corps perhaps?

Maets

Quote from: Mr Addams on March 30, 2011, 08:21:08 AM

I think that "The Rocket pack" is also a good informal name for the organization to which the registrations apply.

Those without their own Rocket Packs, but want to support the Rocketeers could be Rocket Boosters

Grumfoss

Quote from: Mr Addams on March 30, 2011, 08:21:08 AM

A sister organization to The Royal Dirigible Corps perhaps?

Mr Adams, I think 'The Rocket pack' and the RDC go together very well, Rocket packs are the ideal tool for carrying out boarding actions against the dreaded air pirates!

Grum

Mechanism Man

Quote from: maduncle on March 30, 2011, 03:57:20 AM

Update:

I have just placed an order request with Optical Tripology (my good friend and signwriting artist extrodinaire) for vinyl racing numbers, black numerals on white ovals 75mm x 100mm, first batch will be numbers 1 to 25.

1, 2 and 3 are gone - 4 goes to the next rocket pack build photo who also PM's me a mailling address.

Free numbers? What more excuse does a man need to get involved in this grand adventure!? A grand gesture, thank you Maduncle. To the creation shed!! (although I think that 15 would be nice - should give me a couple of weeks building time...)
Sometimes, I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us...
Calvin and Hobbs.

Grumfoss

Now after seeing all the pictures i'm really keen on building a rocket pack, I am hoping to be able to pick up a some parts this weekend. I have also been lucky enough to find a friendly fabricator who can do the welding for me. I so want to join the club :)

Grum

Winterbourne Gunner

Mr Adams, I think 'The Rocket pack' and the RDC go together very well, Rocket packs are the ideal tool for carrying out boarding actions against the dreaded air pirates!

Grum

I've always sky-dived in for boarding assaults myself but let it not be said that I'm against progress, I'm going to have a word with Captain Bellinger to see if he can come up with a design for me.

TTFN

Gunner
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life."

Captain Shipton Bellinger

Quote from: Winterbourne Gunner on March 30, 2011, 11:04:09 PM
I've always sky-dived in for boarding assaults myself but let it not be said that I'm against progress, I'm going to have a word with Captain Bellinger to see if he can come up with a design for me.

Fear not, my dear Gunner. The plans are on the draughting table as we speak. Now I just have to formulate a sufficiently refractory lining for the exhaust nozzles...

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Maets

Pictures of first test flight of my second rocket pack.  I am ready for the race!
Sorry, I had to remove the pictures for now.
Thanks

Captain Braid

Maets, You sir are a very brave man to attempt to test your device without an Asbestos "Tail Apron".
Unless of course you are used to taking your refreshments standing up.
Experienced enough to know my limitations,
Old enough to know better,
Relaxed enough not to care.

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

Unless one is a curry afficionado, or has a posthetic sphincter.
Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!

r_is_for_rachel

Quote from: maduncle on March 29, 2011, 11:03:11 PM
Quote from: r_is_for_rachel on March 29, 2011, 09:47:27 PM
My other half made this for the Asylum - The Dornberger Aetherian rocket-pack. Inspired by the work of Professor T Frost in the Didcot System and powered by the revolutionary new fuel of tea!

Spoiler: ShowHide

That is brilliant!

Consider yourself a full member of the rocketeers guild.

As for me flying over to Asylum, I hope to get there one of these days - just not this year.

And the Rocketeers Guild registration can begin here -

#1 - Maets.
#2 - Herr Doktor.
#3 - Mad Uncle.

A posted photograph of your rocket pack on this thread will register you, I am considering getting a set of numbers on small white ovals cut from vinyl, and I will mail one to each rocketeer as they register, and if they PM me their mailing address.

Do we like this concept?

Yes, and does that mean we are #4?
Andy wanted to do a test flight at the Asylum last year but he forgot to bring the fire extinguisher thus i refused for fear of setting my bustle alight!

maduncle

Quote from: r_is_for_rachel on April 01, 2011, 06:30:50 PM
Quote from: maduncle on March 29, 2011, 11:03:11 PM
Quote from: r_is_for_rachel on March 29, 2011, 09:47:27 PM
My other half made this for the Asylum - The Dornberger Aetherian rocket-pack. Inspired by the work of Professor T Frost in the Didcot System and powered by the revolutionary new fuel of tea!

That is brilliant!

Consider yourself a full member of the rocketeers guild.

As for me flying over to Asylum, I hope to get there one of these days - just not this year.

And the Rocketeers Guild registration can begin here -

#1 - Maets.
#2 - Herr Doktor.
#3 - Mad Uncle.

A posted photograph of your rocket pack on this thread will register you, I am considering getting a set of numbers on small white ovals cut from vinyl, and I will mail one to each rocketeer as they register, and if they PM me their mailing address.

Do we like this concept?

Yes, and does that mean we are #4?
Andy wanted to do a test flight at the Asylum last year but he forgot to bring the fire extinguisher thus i refused for fear of setting my bustle alight!

My dear - consider yourself #4. Please PM me your mailing address and your 4 will be posted to you.

So the list is now:

#1 - Maets
#2 - Herr Doktor
#3 - Maduncle
#4 - r_is_for_rachel

Meanwhile, here is me wearing rocket pack #3 to see how it fits.

I need to adjust the front straps on the frame so the rocket pack sits higher on my back - easy to do.

I have a Sam Brown belt to wear below the frame straps, and I have a small brass curly horn hanging from it to warn other rocketeers of my approach.

skinznhydez

Great Rocket pack Maduncle! Here's a rocket pack I made awhile ago. Thought I would throw it in here :)

Front

Me wearing it.

"It is frequently the tragedy of the great artist, as it is of the great scientist, that he frightens the ordinary man."
http://www.facebook.com/SkinzNhydezLeather
http://skinz-n-hydez.deviantart.com/
http://www.skinznhydez.etsy.com

maduncle

Okay...

... "thought I would throw it in here" says Mr. Skinznhydez, who then casually proceeds to blow us all away with a superbly detailed and magnificently crafted rocket pack complete with control gauntlets and hand tooled leather accessories.

You scoundrel Sir!

(Would you stoop so low as to put a racing sticker on it - if so #5 can be yours, just PM me and let me know).

Brilliant work - the first rocket pack collective race meet is going to be amazing!

Maets

Maduncle - looking good!
skinznhydez - amazing, simply amazing

r_is_for_rachel

Dr cornelius quack

Quote from: maduncle on April 02, 2011, 10:04:29 AM

Okay...

... "thought I would throw it in here" says Mr. Skinznhydez, who then casually proceeds to blow us all away with a superbly detailed and magnificently crafted rocket pack complete with control gauntlets and hand tooled leather accessories.

You scoundrel Sir!

(Would you stoop so low as to put a racing sticker on it - if so #5 can be yours, just PM me and let me know).

Brilliant work - the first rocket pack collective race meet is going to be amazing!

Race meet nothing!!

I'll accept nothing less than a full aerobatic display team.

The Brass Arrows
Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

maduncle

Update:

The rocket pack race numbers have arrived!

I will be sending numbers 1, 2 and 4 off in the post this week to the respective rocketeers.

Meanwhile - number 3 is now in place.

Note the ballast belt and passing horn positioned as part of the race outfit.

I was thinking, if we get 25 rocketeers with race numbers on their packs, I could get a book together of photos of the 25 competitors, get a short piece written by each of the 25, maybe do a map of the race route - and use an online book publisher like blurb.com to put out a book titled 'the rocket pack collective'.

What do we think? (I would need a few contributors...)

Maets

Sounds like a great idea.  I would be happy to contribute.  Keep up the good work.
Thanks!

Mr Addams

I am up for it, although I still need to get my Pack together.
Possibly, if we have somebody with a nack for photoshop, (is there any doubt,) pictures taken in front of blue/green screen can be put together for in flight race pictures.
This deserves some thought.
Possibly some form of race programme, with a made up biography for each contributor, (a steampunk identity rather than their real one. a short real world bio could be included at the back of the book.) Stats and perhaps scematics for the different packs. and so on.
I have already started to formulate a history and backstory for the collective. I would be happy to expand on that.

skinznhydez

Thanks for all great feedback on my jetpack!
I would love to join in on the race, but the one I made was a commission for someone. So unfortunately its not in my possession. He actually is a photographer in the states and just sent me some pics.

"It is frequently the tragedy of the great artist, as it is of the great scientist, that he frightens the ordinary man."

wrenchhead

wow, I think I forgot to continue breathing for a period there.... edges of my vision got all dark and whatnot.

skinznhydez

Quote from: wrenchhead on April 06, 2011, 07:32:57 PM
wow, I think I forgot to continue breathing for a period there.... edges of my vision got all dark and whatnot.

lol
I have a spare oxygen tank around here somewhere...

wrenchhead

Quote from: skinznhydez on April 06, 2011, 07:41:20 PM
Quote from: wrenchhead on April 06, 2011, 07:32:57 PM

lol
I have a spare oxygen tank around here somewhere...
Thanks, I needed that. :) Very impressive work, BTW, and it looks pretty smashing on that model, too.