News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The rocket pack collective thread

Started by maduncle, March 24, 2011, 11:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herr Döktor

Updated my rocket pack thread:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29621.msg655491.html#msg655491

Looking good there, maduncle, and exquisite work as ever, skinznhydez!

It's the season for rocket packs- I saw one at Whitby Goth weekend, on the back of a Rocketeer!

:)

Maets

Second test flight of rocket pack.  Directional fin added to helmet for better flight control.

maduncle

Wow Maets - that looks like 'altitude with attitude' (the rocketeers guild slogan).

And no discernable exhaust either - looks like a clean green form of propulsion you are using there.
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

Captain Braid

Quote from: skinznhydez on April 06, 2011, 07:16:46 PM
Thanks for all great feedback on my jetpack!
I would love to join in on the race, but the one I made was a commission for someone. So unfortunately its not in my possession. He actually is a photographer in the states and just sent me some pics.
Spoiler: ShowHide

Highly Impressive, Skinznhydez, highly impressive indeed.

@Maets; My hats off to you sir.
Experienced enough to know my limitations,
Old enough to know better,
Relaxed enough not to care.

Maets

Test fire video of Maets Rocket Pack Two. Unit has been clamped to post to hold it in place during test.  Enjoy!

DSCN9645

Dr Insidious T BoneHammer

Now that's what I'm talking about.   whooo hooo that is cool!
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Capt. Dirigible

That is very impressive, Maets, very impressive indeed.
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Maets

Thanks!  I have been having some fun with all of this, as you can see.

The Squire

OK, Maets, now I feel the need to build! Most exquisite, sir.
"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."

Birdnest

Good Show, Sir.

Quite a spectacular assembly.
Onward ho!

maduncle

Crikey!

That is fantastic Maets, what is the power source.

Maets

Quote from: maduncle on April 08, 2011, 07:27:24 AM
The real key to the effect was building the unit with full and open connections. It is built as if it could actually work. I will probably go back and modify my first unit in the same way.  Just a couple of blockages I need to remove.
If you want the full secret:
The "steam" comes from an external source connected via the control hose.  Your earlier observation of "cool" was close, it is actually cold.  I connected a CO2 fire extingusher to the unit.  What you see is the liquid CO2 being ejected when the handle is squeezed.  Not practical for walking around, but could be used on stage, or in a parade or somewhere when the CO2 tank can be hidden.

r_is_for_rachel

had a test flight today in Chepstow for the South Wales Argus, they were very impressed ;)

wrenchhead

Quote from: Maets on April 08, 2011, 12:30:01 PM
The real key to the effect was building the unit with full and open connections. It is built as if it could actually work. I will probably go back and modify my first unit in the same way.  Just a couple of blockages I need to remove.
The "steam" comes from an external source connected via the control hose.  Your earlier observation of "cool" was close, it is actually cold.  I connected a CO2 fire extingusher to the unit.  What you see is the liquid CO2 being ejected when the handle is squeezed.  Not practical for walking around, but could be used on stage, or in a parade or somewhere when the CO2 tank can be hidden.

This makes me wonder about the practicality of building ones rocket pack around a small extinguisher, which you could swap out once it's expended...

-Jake

Dr Insidious T BoneHammer

Quote from: wrenchhead on April 08, 2011, 01:43:49 PM

This makes me wonder about the practicality of building ones rocket pack around a small extinguisher, which you could swap out once it's expended...

-Jake

There you go.... that's using the old noodle.  Put a trap door on the bottom of a brass tank for the extinguisher to sit in.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Maets

Available volume and weight are the problem with building the unit into the rocket pack.  You don't get a whole lot from the CO2.  To get the visual effect you have to be sure to be pulling the liquid CO2 from the tank and not just the gas.  You get the great sound either way.

wrenchhead

Quote from: Dr Insidious T BoneHammer on April 08, 2011, 01:49:37 PM
Quote from: wrenchhead on April 08, 2011, 01:43:49 PM

-Jake

There you go.... that's using the old noodle.  Put a trap door on the bottom of a brass tank for the extinguisher to sit in.
Alright, definitely going to take a look at a couple different extinguishers when I get to work tomorrow and see if it looks like the nozzle can be separated without activating the whole thing... I'm hoping it's set up similar to the disposable propane bottles one would buy for a camp stove, with a plunger in the middle, which in this case is depressed by the nozzle being screwed on, and then the nozzle has it's own valve in it... *smells smoke* uh, oh... I've really got the gears grinding now!

Quote from: Maets on April 08, 2011, 02:02:58 PM
Available volume and weight are the problem with building the unit into the rocket pack.  You don't get a whole lot from the CO2.  To get the visual effect you have to be sure to be pulling the liquid CO2 from the tank and not just the gas.  You get the great sound either way.
how were you able to separate them?

-Jake

Maets

Any fire extinguisher I have ever seen (and I have seen thousands) is filled (and emptied) through the valve.  They are not made like the propane tanks.  I use the handle/valve to send the CO2 down the hose connected to the rocket pack. The hose can easily be screwed on and off or you can use a quick disconnect fitting, but you'll have to use the valve attached to the tank.  

Fire extinguishers draw from the bottom of the tank, thus pulling liquid.  A CO2 tank for welding or putting bubbles in your soda draws from the top.  Use that type of tank upside down to pull liquid and thus the appearance of steam.

Paintball cylinders probably are the best to use for a built in gas supply.

There is another approach to producing CO2 smoke.  Vinegar and baking soda mixed together give quite a display. 

Dr cornelius quack

I'll throw my Flying Helmet into the ring with this one.

WIP at the moment.

Maduncle, Add me to the rosta. if you please, but she's getting the '00' race number if that's OK.

'Team Dastardly' strikes again.
Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

maduncle

Quote from: Dr cornelius quack on April 11, 2011, 06:58:21 AM
I'll throw my Flying Helmet into the ring with this one.

WIP at the moment.

Maduncle, Add me to the rosta. if you please, but she's getting the '00' race number if that's OK.

'Team Dastardly' strikes again.

Wow - that is looking quite deadly Cornelius, the next number to be issued is 5, do you wish to claim it?

So far I have issued:

#1 - Maets
#2 - Herr Doktor
#3 - maduncle
#4 - Helga Von Flam

Maets

Welcome Dr. Quack to the ?

Is there an official name for the Rocket Guild or is Rocket Guild the official name?
Some thoughts on names:
R3
Royal Rocket Racers
Rocket Racer Regiment
Rocket Racing Recyclers

R4
Royal Rocket Racing Regiment
Regiment of Royal Rocket Racers

Mad Uncles motto seems perfect to me: "altitude with attitude"
Any thoughts?

Maets

Or something different
Society of Crazy Rocket Air Pilots  (SCRAP)

Mr Addams

I still like the Topic heading as a group name.
"The Rocket Pack Collective"

Dr cornelius quack

The Rocket Aviators Club

Look, Someones already started making badges.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rac+badge&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=91qjTbG6FIG2hAfhrfj4BA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CB4Q_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=653

Maduncle, I'll stick with '00' if you don't mind. The Dick Dastardly motif opens up lots of scope for decorative embellishments and I've always wanted  a small, sniggering sidekick.
Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

maduncle

I am pretty keen on keeping the title as 'The Rocket Pack Collective'.

I think it sounds good.