News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The Unofficial Brass Goggles Minecraft Server!

Started by The Sammy, April 10, 2011, 02:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Screaming Lord Pea Green

Well, thing is I was thinking of using the desert behind the temple for the Area 51 project, and don't worry Longeye, there won't be owt odd visible from above ground, just a hanger and runway, maybe a few buildings.

Seeing as we have a Pirate Ship already I'll scratch that plan for now, maybe do another one when I get bored. The Floaty Island of Death is really just a backburner idea, sort of a "If nowt else'll keep me busy" thing, so it won't appear unless I've done EVERYTHING else.

Well that leaves the underwater lair, not too sure where to start with this one, anyone know of any really deep oceans to situate it? Preferably at least 10 blocks deep.
The Moral High Gound - A great place to position Artillery.

The Sammy

If you want a really deep ocean.... find a deep one and dig :P
Seriously, the best way I've done it was to dig a MASSIVE hole, build the base, cover everything in a layer of dirt (so you leave a 1 hole deep 'lake') cover THAT in water then dig the layer out. This then floods everything, and you have an underwater base!
~Longeye~

Gunner Gregson

Quote from: Screaming Lord Pea Green on April 16, 2011, 08:56:32 PM
Also, I'd like to put my vote forward for the craftbook thingy-ma-jig. looks useful...
While I'm here...anyone object to me building the following projects:
1) Area 51
2) An underwater lair
3) Floaty Island of Death
4) Galleon/Pirate ship
All above projects would have to be outside current city walls with the exception of the Floaty Island of Death, which could just float above, casting disdainful looks upon the mere ground dwellers below.

im ok with them all except the floaty island, im not a fan of "floating", but im not going to quash the idea, that would be mean, aslong as it doesnt shadow the settlement go for it.

i have recently built a Galleon/Pirate ship which you can get to via the gate system, but if you still wish to build one then go right ahead.

got an idea for an even bigger project, may have bitten off more than i can chew but im gonna do it anyway.

GG
Ananias S. Wildwire at your service, for a price of course.

The Sammy

Go for it Gregson! Mind you... do we have enough chunks generated for something that you deem big? :P
I'm working on an armoury (or will be shortly) soon that'll technically be functional but more for looks. How do people feel about having a chest with a set of steel armour and swords inside for everyone to take for free?
~Longeye~

Gunner Gregson

whoever entered my Vault and disrespected the "No Entry" i advise you to read the server rules.

if you have a problem with these rules it might be better if you moved on.

GG

The Corsair

I took down the sign they made on the notice board and offered to make a crack-safe vault.
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

The Sammy

Oh? I've got to start reading that notice board more.
If people are going to start entering private marked areas then it'll just have to be the case that the big clunky mods that add protection will be installed! It'll certainly cut down on server speed, player numbers and mean that any time you want to do anything you have to type a string of commands to allow yourself to use the area.
No wait... we agreed that this wouldn't be needed! Sorry for being rather snide, but this is a kinda big point. The server is built on trust guys. This is most certainly not aimed at everyone... or most people, possibly only one person. Please don't do this again.
~Longeye~

Edited for spelling.

Dr. makebot

Longeye, Has something changed with respect to permissions for use of the server? because I can Log on fine and brake blocks, but when I Place Blocks or use things like doors, I get a message saying I do not have permission do use it. I can still do the thing I was trying to do, it just keeps saying I don't have permission to.
yes I am a mad scientist, now live with it.

walternator

I also get this problem including when i try to use a bed, it still works but a red message constantly appears saying i do not have permission to do so ???
Technically it didn't blow up...

Screaming Lord Pea Green

Same, I thought it was just because i'm new though...
The Moral High Gound - A great place to position Artillery.

Gunner Gregson

i certainly do not want a Protection mod installed, more mods = more lag.
i didnt think i was asking alot when i wanted the small area that is my vault to be "out of bounds" the vault is now laced with ALOT of TNT, 64 pieces to be exact, so next time someone decides to poke around there isnt going to be alot left (i will defuse this if Longeye asks me too)
i have built quite alot in this game and that is all open (still got to finish the bedroom and theatre)
i do apologise if my post was a little abrupt but i was more than a little miffed

i still have full server access, dig and build, its more than likely down to the latest mod install that messed up the permissions.

GG

Dr. makebot

just to add another discovery to the permissions situation, I am actively forbidden from any of the craftbook stuff that was added. I can use the bridge, but I cant build one, or any of the other stuff. also. when I get told I cant use a craftbook feature, the sign I was using is duplicated, so i end up with two of them.
(I put them in the warehouse, by the way).

The Sammy

Right gentlemen, sorry this has taken so long but I slept out last night so haven't been near a computer.
Firstly Gregson; I'm slightly worried at the idea of having that much TnT underground, but from what I gather (I've poked around where it is, sorry I didn't ask but I'm in a bit of a rush to sort this) the only thinks that would be damaged if it blows is your own work. If you're happy with that being the case I can't really argue.

With regard to the permissions;
The Bukkit base I am using has a set of files called 'essentials'. As you can imagine, these are non-negotiable. One of them is the essentials protect, this is the basis for a lot of other mods that implement protection features, and it uses a complex set of instructions to decide who owns certain things. Ignore it. In all honesty I can't figure out how to turn those messages off, and I've been trying for a while. I'll keep trying, but for now they simply alert you to the fact that the protect plugin has decided that area belongs to a certain person, OR it is limited to a certain group (another feature I'm not using as McMyAdmin has a much better group feature).

CraftBook;
This is a slightly stupid situation. I added the permissions for all the things I thought would be needed, apparently I missed a few. That's all really. I'll sort that out as quickly as I can (right now actually) but it might take about 10 minutes from posting for me to find, write out and finally update it. If you still can use certain things please post exactly what features you can't use, and exactly what message pops up.

Cheers for being patient guys, I appreciate it!
~Longeye~
P.S. Lord Pea? There is no 'newbie' rank so you don't need to worry. There are currently three ranks: Player, OP/Mod (both at once usually) and Admin. Nearly everyone is a Player until I get round to opping/modding them. No one can be an Admin except me I'm afraid!

EDIT: Right, I THINK I've got the CraftBook permission sorted with some rather clever (if I do say so myself) codes. Still no change on permissions thought, looking into it.

Gunner Gregson

No worries Longeye, everyone is allowed days off.

i deactivated the TNT this morning, i am also currently in the process of moving my stuff to a different location.

i unfortunately cant offer assistance or tips with Craftbook as i have never used it, actually i have never used any mods.

GG

The Sammy

Quote from: Gunner Gregson on April 18, 2011, 04:31:39 PM
actually i have never used any mods.
Well then you're no bloody good, are you? ;)
This is all a learning experience, I haven't had much work running servers so this is new to me as well! Who knows, eventually I may just screw it all and buy myself a sever, the run it from that (don't get your hopes up, servers are expensive and I'm in about £20000 of debt as it is!).
If you want to build a hidden base or something like that then go ahead, I think after all the things you've built for everyone you should be entitled to a little privacy when you want it!
~Longeye~

LukeHogbin

How does one deactivate the TNT anyway ?
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

CPT. Dansko

Marvelous...
But What is to happen when the server is full, and more people want to join...
Do you deny them or expand the server?

-CPT. Dansko-

The Sammy

When the server is full that would mean that there would have to be roughly 7/8 people online at once more than just every blue moon (though more than once would count I'd say). If this happens, the server will either have to be expanded through donation or people will have to be disappointed. I can't expand it any more on my own so those are the two options.
~Longeye~

The Sammy

EDITED LIKE A PRO!!

Basically I want to know if I can take pictures of buildings on the server and put the on the donations page to make it look nice :)
Seeing as there is the possibility of cash changing IP's I want to ask if anyone doesn't want their things to be possibly included. That's about it, but with the question raised by Dansko I did want to ask what people thought about server size. Is it big enough? We were originally going to have some 5 people but we've got some 12 unique players now (a massive achievement for me).
Thanks for putting up with me, and I hope your building goes well and your creepers don't creep.
~Longeye~

walternator

Dont be alarmed, but i believe that over the entire portal network, four chunks exactly have gone missing from the portals themselves excluding the 'spawn' portal, the one by the newly installed submarine has been repaired but in my opinion it needs to be repaired. If i could i would fix it but unfortunately i have no diamond pickaxe or obsidian. I'm not sure if i should fix it at all or whether it is just a glitch in which case is it just me. ???

~Walternator~
Technically it didn't blow up...

The Sammy

Ah! Last night I added the functionality that you can make gates that will only go to one place (plan I'm planning) and it buggered the gates. I saw (and fixed) the spawn gate but apparently it did all of them... damn.
I'll fix them once I get a spare moment, but most of today will be uni work I'm afraid.
~Longeye~

Dr. makebot

Anyone wanting to do any red stone stuff, I build a Lab in the desert outside the city, just follow the path from the resort. at the moment it has a half adder in it, but feel free to take that down if you need more space/materials.

The Corsair

Just so you guys know, I plan on making a resort of designer units (only about 4-5) somewhere on the coast... (I know that's vague)
I've also found that my new computer can't run minecraft (but it runs spore... how odd...) so I mightn't be on for a while yet
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Gunner Gregson

Pirate Cove, NO ENTRY!!! and Coliseum gates have been fixed, then my diamond pick broke.

To The Corsair: i have found most problems concerning Minecraft are due to Java, make sure its up to date working properly etc, but you probably already know that.

GG

The Sammy

Thank's Gregson (once again!), I thought I'd fixed most inner-Settlement ones, but I know there are a few a bit further out. Later on I'll use the map to pick my way to the Plain and Winter gates and fix them up, but for now it's still essays for me :(
Corsair; it's a shame about that! It does sound like a Java fault (windows has never been overtly happy with Java and has made it so... picky...) but there's never a rush to get back on ;)
~ Longeye ~