News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

A Collective Thread for All Them Guns Pt. II

Started by Herr Döktor, April 25, 2011, 05:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Excellent work Pleerless. For a fiirst build that is amazing. Great idea to use the plasma ball and I do like the way you disguised the grip.

Pheerless

$2 shoes from the local thrift store yielded a decent mount of aged leather for the process. :)

Grumfoss

Quote from: Engineer on July 22, 2011, 07:22:28 PM
I finally finished my first raygun.

Presenting the Arioch Industries V500 'Vulcan' :

and a WIP shot of the original £1 water pistol before final detailing and painting:

Nice job Engineer, Looking forward to seeing it in the 'flesh' as it were :)

Grum

Deck5

Something I've recently finished -- John H. Watson's service revolver, with box.  Based on a dollar-store cap gun.

OswaldBastable

Quote from: Deck5 on July 26, 2011, 02:33:51 AM
Something I've recently finished -- John H. Watson's service revolver, with box.  Based on a dollar-store cap gun.

very nice work sir, I'm a sucker for boxed gun sets :)
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre

Miss Alva

I apologize for the blurry quality and all of the equipment, but there! A gun!
It still counts, right? All I did was use a defunct water gun and cover it with layer after layer of paint ><
For a first try, I think it's okay.

I did do the notebook myself though.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Grumfoss

Very nice sir, looks very Authentic. It would not look out of place in any gentlemans study :)

Grum

D.Oakes

I know, I know, a Nerf Maverick, nobody commented on my real gun, so live it with.  I call her Pieta. 

In progress:  Aged and with some finishing touches: 
"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

Deck5

Quote from: Miss Alva on July 27, 2011, 04:06:41 AMAll I did was use a defunct water gun and cover it with layer after layer of paint ><
For a first try, I think it's okay.

I did do the notebook myself though.

Looks downright Barsoomian to me.

Professor Griffiths

Quote from: Swayback on July 06, 2011, 03:28:19 PM
Hey-
  Very Inspriring guns.   I finally decided to jump in and build a steampunk gun.  I make lots of things, but never worked with brass much.  So a Iearned a bunch of new skills and had a good time doing it.  Here's what I came up with:

It's built from candle holders and lamp parts.  There are LEDs behind marble finials (I was really pleased with how the light reflects from all the bubbles in the glass) and in the sight.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do next with all the leftover parts.

Thanks for looking.

DAMN! That is......wow......

Quote from: professor rubbertoe on July 18, 2011, 06:07:14 PM

MY LORD!

Quote from: Pheerless on July 24, 2011, 07:34:09 PM
Not very big on words, here is my first Steamy/Ray Gun build attempt. I'm considering calling it a Pin Point Ionized Gas Projectorator or something to that effect, lol...first post FTW I suppose.

From this...

To this...

Questions and comments welcome.

Quite good old boy!

Story

To this...

How'd you get that nice copper finish?
A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
      Two thousand pounds of education
        Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

Mr Addams

Not very big on words, here is my first Steamy/Ray Gun build attempt. I'm considering calling it a Pin Point Ionized Gas Projectorator or something to that effect, lol...first post FTW I suppose.

From this...

To this...

I have to say, that is one of the best Nerf mods I have seen in a VERY long while.

MakerMike

Very nice mod with the plasma ball.  I've been thinking of a similar use of a plasma ball, but you did it!

Ginny Blundy

Quote from: Otto Von Pifka on July 20, 2011, 06:07:44 AM
I made some progress on my nerf lewis gun. about halfway there.

its going to need a bracket to hold it together at the drum, the extra weight at the front is murder on the hinge.

Von Pifka, what is the putty you're using around the grip there, if I may ask? Is it an epoxy?
Oh, you are beautiful! No really, you are, you're gorgeous! Space-age clockwork, I love it, I've got chills! Listen, I mean this from the heart - and by the way, count those - it would be a crime, it would be an act of vandalism to disassemble you.

But that won't stop me.

Pheerless

Quote from: Story on July 29, 2011, 11:10:34 AM
How'd you get that nice copper finish?

I actually sanded the whole unit. removed emblems, profiled things, etc. Base coated it with flat black spray on the outside and an aluminum coat on the inside pieces (like where the plasma ball rests). The coppery cold finish is "Antique Gold" rub N buff over-top of the black base paint. It actually turned out a lot nicer than I first reckoned. I touched the other various bits up with some metallic model paint.

Quote from: Mr Addams on July 29, 2011, 11:58:30 AM
I have to say, that is one of the best Nerf mods I have seen in a VERY long while.

Most of my inspiration stemmed from this site, thanks for the kind words!

Quote from: MakerMike on July 29, 2011, 03:15:16 PM
Very nice mod with the plasma ball.  I've been thinking of a similar use of a plasma ball, but you did it!

Get to crackin man, can't wait to see yours :) ... Don't touch the wire for the plasma ball, it smarts a lil. :P

Pheerless

Quote from: D.Oakes on July 28, 2011, 04:37:56 AM
I know, I know, a Nerf Maverick, nobody commented on my real gun, so live it with.  I call her Pieta. 

Is that Absinthe I spy amongst the rest of that steampunkery?

D.Oakes

Quote from: Pheerless on July 31, 2011, 02:37:02 AM
Quote from: D.Oakes on July 28, 2011, 04:37:56 AM
I know, I know, a Nerf Maverick, nobody commented on my real gun, so live it with.  I call her Pieta.  

Is that Absinthe I spy amongst the rest of that steampunkery?

An empty bottle of Pennsylvania's own Vieux Carre which in my personal opinion is better than the European varieties in flavor and euphoric charm, and a bottle of a New Orleans wormwood free knockoff which is a bit better than that Absente stuff.
"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

Dr. Madd

Gives me an idea.. Use a plastic or glass bottle where the plasma ball is and fill it with green water.. An Acid sprayer.
What do we want? Decapitations!

D.Oakes

http://www.ima-usa.com/featured/gurkha-bira-gardner-gun-of-the-victorian-era.html
WHO WANTS TO BUY IT FOR ME?  Haha.   ;D  I am actually quite tempted, I could starve for awhile. 

Otto Von Pifka

ms. blundy, yes it is an epoxy putty called apoxie sculpt.

http://www.avesstudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=4

a bit expensive but great to work with. there are a few slightly different versions of it.
the sculpt can be a bit too soft and sticky to work, especially in this heat, but all their putties are great to work with.
you have plenty of time after mixing it to work it, and it sets up pretty hard and sticks reasonably well if you sand the surface of whatever you are building up first.
what's really nice about it is that you can smooth it with a wet finger or implement before it sets up. that can eliminate most or all sanding and grinding. you can add it to just about any surface and if it should pop off, you can just reglue it with regular epoxy.
I finally broke down and bought the mega tub for $50 bucks, but I tend to go through it pretty fast. the shelf life is iffy as the tub lids aren't all that tight. the little containers have screw on lids and hold up longer. I can't remember which part is the one that always goes bad first, it just slowly gets firmer until it won't mix with the other part well. as long as the containers aren't old to begin with, you can get over a year shelf life after its been opened as long as you don't leave them open too long and store them in a  cool dry place with the lids good and tight.

I LOVE the stuff, It's replaced almost everything else I used to use.

the apoxie sculpt and apoxie clay are very similar and so are the fixit versions, they all work very similar, I forget which are less sticky while working it. the apoxie and fixit pastes are runny like a regular epoxy or like JB weld, and are of less use. only thing I use it for is self leveling fill and glue needs.

and_solo_said

Quote from: Ginny Blundy on July 17, 2011, 09:38:15 PM
Here's a gun I've just recently finished. It's not so much Steampunked by itself, but I made it as an accessory to a post-apocalyptic Steampunk outfit. This is my first attempt at modding a toy gun.

Do you mind my asking what you used for the filigree on the barrel? I'd like to shamelessly rip it off.

Orcon Windar

Wonderful! I will probably have to make this, I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes geek. Where did you get the label on the inside of the box, if you don't mind me asking? Is it something I could use? Once again, wonderful work.

Deck5

Thank you!  My continuing challenge is to find a nook and/or cranny to put yet another artifact in my little 221B.

The Webley trade label was a gift, but here we are ... googling 'webley trade label' returns this link: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=10977

Looks like the same one.

Ginny Blundy

Quote from: and_solo_said on July 31, 2011, 11:23:05 PM
Quote from: Ginny Blundy on July 17, 2011, 09:38:15 PM
Here's a gun I've just recently finished. It's not so much Steampunked by itself, but I made it as an accessory to a post-apocalyptic Steampunk outfit. This is my first attempt at modding a toy gun.

Do you mind my asking what you used for the filigree on the barrel? I'd like to shamelessly rip it off.

It's a sticker. I found these in a local craft store along with scrapbooking supplies - you may also find it with DIY wedding invitation materials. These little foil stickers are cut perfectly around the design, so that you don't get any unwanted bits to trim away. They also stick really well - I have those on without any added glue and they are firmly attached. I think as long as I keep it out of extreme temperatures, I won't need to worry over them falling off. To go along with the rough look of the gun, I dabbed some black acrylic paint over the sticker with a paper towel and then dabbed a lot of it back off with a damp paper towel.
Oh, you are beautiful! No really, you are, you're gorgeous! Space-age clockwork, I love it, I've got chills! Listen, I mean this from the heart - and by the way, count those - it would be a crime, it would be an act of vandalism to disassemble you.

But that won't stop me.

Ginny Blundy

Quote from: Otto Von Pifka on July 31, 2011, 11:11:23 PM
ms. blundy, yes it is an epoxy putty called apoxie sculpt.

http://www.avesstudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=4

a bit expensive but great to work with. there are a few slightly different versions of it.
the sculpt can be a bit too soft and sticky to work, especially in this heat, but all their putties are great to work with.
you have plenty of time after mixing it to work it, and it sets up pretty hard and sticks reasonably well if you sand the surface of whatever you are building up first.
what's really nice about it is that you can smooth it with a wet finger or implement before it sets up. that can eliminate most or all sanding and grinding. you can add it to just about any surface and if it should pop off, you can just reglue it with regular epoxy.
I finally broke down and bought the mega tub for $50 bucks, but I tend to go through it pretty fast. the shelf life is iffy as the tub lids aren't all that tight. the little containers have screw on lids and hold up longer. I can't remember which part is the one that always goes bad first, it just slowly gets firmer until it won't mix with the other part well. as long as the containers aren't old to begin with, you can get over a year shelf life after its been opened as long as you don't leave them open too long and store them in a  cool dry place with the lids good and tight.

I LOVE the stuff, It's replaced almost everything else I used to use.

the apoxie sculpt and apoxie clay are very similar and so are the fixit versions, they all work very similar, I forget which are less sticky while working it. the apoxie and fixit pastes are runny like a regular epoxy or like JB weld, and are of less use. only thing I use it for is self leveling fill and glue needs.

Ah yes, Apoxie has been recommended to me before. I haven't been able to find it locally, which is annoying. I could certainly buy it online but I tend to want epoxy right now when I want it, without waiting for shipping. I work with Loctite epoxy putty which is ok basically and better than other epoxies I've tried, but I'm always on the lookout for better materials.

The heat has been a major setback recently, no doubt. I dislike the stickiness of epoxy during this weather because it prevents me from smoothing it out nicely, which means more sanding. Boo! >:(

But that won't stop me.