News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

A Collective Thread for All Them Guns Pt. II

Started by Herr Döktor, April 25, 2011, 05:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcon Windar

Quote from: Deck5 on August 04, 2011, 03:38:21 AM
Thank you!  My continuing challenge is to find a nook and/or cranny to put yet another artifact in my little 221B.

The Webley trade label was a gift, but here we are ... googling 'webley trade label' returns this link: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=10977

Looks like the same one.

Thanks! I'll start work right away.

D.Oakes

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

Triton

Quote from: D.Oakes on August 06, 2011, 05:35:04 AM
I love Mausers....
Spoiler: ShowHide

now, is that a real C96 (or less likely m712) or just a prop pistol?  :D love those guns as well. how is this for a pair of somewhat steampunk-y guns. before anybody asks; the shotgun has been rendered inoperative (firing pin removed, firing pin hole welded and barrel plugged) but used to be a very much real, and very badly abused HSB Cruso 12 gauge shotgun, future plans for it include making a walnut pistol grip to match the foregrip and mounting it in a display case with some paper cartridges.

the other gun pictured is my equally abused wwii bringback tt33 tokarev. My grandfather brought it back and it was unfortunately damaged in a small fire in the 50s and ended up being used as a toy gun by my dad growing up. then getting put away in a drawer until my grandmother gave it to me a few years ago, i cleaned it up as much as possible and got a magazine and spring kit for it, i wont fire it for safety reasons, but with a new firing pin i have little doubt that it would function!

D.Oakes

Quote from: Triton on August 07, 2011, 10:41:03 PM
Quote from: D.Oakes on August 06, 2011, 05:35:04 AM
I love Mausers....

now, is that a real C96 (or less likely m712) or just a prop pistol?  :D love those guns as well. how is this for a pair of somewhat steampunk-y guns. before anybody asks; the shotgun has been rendered inoperative (firing pin removed, firing pin hole welded and barrel plugged) but used to be a very much real, and very badly abused HSB Cruso 12 gauge shotgun, future plans for it include making a walnut pistol grip to match the foregrip and mounting it in a display case with some paper cartridges.

the other gun pictured is my equally abused wwii bringback tt33 tokarev, my grandfather brought it back and it was unfortunately damaged in a small fire in the 50s and ended up being used as a toy gun by my dad growing up then getting put away in a drawer until my grandmother gave it to me a few years ago and i cleaned it up as much as possible and got a magazine and spring kit for it, i wont fire it for safety reasons, but with a new firing pin i have little doubt that it would function!

(The Beligian Mauser at my feet is real and still functional.) 

I mean this in the best way, that is the absolute UGLIEST TT33 I have ever seen.  It is a shame what it went through, but it is great! 
"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

Triton

after i got it all cleaned up and resprung it actually operates VERY slickly,

the slide is a little loose as you might expect. someday i hope to get it examined by a proper gunsmith and have it tested (metallurgically and otherwise) and if it passes and is determined to be safe to shoot i shall put some grips on it and shoot it! but not very much, i'd rather get a like new polish one from the 50s for ~225$ and shoot the heck out of it instead! and this isnt exactly steampunk, but it is from 1938 and is one of my favorite guns

mosin nagant 91-30 tula arsenal 1938 date of manufacture, arsenal refurbished with a birchwood stock, i stripped off all the nasty cosmoline and varnish and did a boiled linseed oil finish. floated barrel and bedded receiver and someday a POSP scope!

D.Oakes

Beautiful Mosin Nagant.  It is essentially an M1891 Dragoon rifle which meerly had its sights updated.  So even though it is 1938, it is still quite Victorian.  Although if my eyes are not deceiving me you have the round receiver as oppose to the hexagon one.  That takes off authenticity points.  I'm kidding.  www.ostfront.com usually carries the "proper" early pouches and bayonet scabards for those.  I broke down and bought one the other year, the quality is well worth it.     

Just came across a gun that kind of scares me and just makes me think of how much expensive trouble many of us could get into modding one.  http://www.cabelas.com/product/Benjamin-Rogue-357-ePCP-Air-Rifle/1233261.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D60%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dair%2Brifle%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchall%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dair%2Brifle%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=air+rifle&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

akumabito

Quote from: D.Oakes on August 08, 2011, 01:25:16 PM
Just came across a gun that kind of scares me and just makes me think of how much expensive trouble many of us could get into modding one.  http://www.cabelas.com/product/Benjamin-Rogue-357-ePCP-Air-Rifle/1233261.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D60%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dair%2Brifle%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchall%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dair%2Brifle%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=air+rifle&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

For the money, I'm not that impressed actually.. Sure looks like fun to shoot, but it isn't very pretty at all, and power-wise you can get comparable punch for less money. I'd much prefer a Quackenbush air rifle. I have one in .308 on my wishlist.. haven't found an opportunity to order one in over three years though.. he always seems to be booked solid!

Triton

Quote from: D.Oakes on August 08, 2011, 01:25:16 PM
Beautiful Mosin Nagant.  It is essentially an M1891 Dragoon rifle which meerly had its sights updated.  So even though it is 1938, it is still quite Victorian.  Although if my eyes are not deceiving me you have the round receiver as oppose to the hexagon one.  That takes off authenticity points.  I'm kidding.  www.ostfront.com usually carries the "proper" early pouches and bayonet scabards for those.  I broke down and bought one the other year, the quality is well worth it.
actually at an auction yesterday there was an SA stamped (finn capture) hex receiver m91 that sold for iirc around 400 dollars, as well as some chilean m1895 mausers (a carbine and rifle) and a replica sharps .45-70. in a similar vein, here is my dads M1889 springfield trapdoor

wish i had a better picture, this one does NOT do this gun justice, its 120+ years old and while the bluing is a little thin in places is still very very good for its age condition wise. its probably been shot less than 50 times since its been in my families possession, some 4 generations

Thorinis

Ladies and Gents I present my first mod from a Nerf Recon "The Regulator"

Built for the former US Scout turned Bounty Hunter in the Weird West.
He who cannot adapt to what is around him is destined to be devoured by it.

Lucius Baxter

Quote from: Deck5 on July 26, 2011, 02:33:51 AM
Something I've recently finished -- John H. Watson's service revolver, with box.  Based on a dollar-store cap gun.

Oh, good...I....Wow...Wow...WOW! How did you....Wow. I have to do this now. This is just priceless. Great job.
2nd lieutenant in his majesty's Royal Flying Corps

C20710

Alright...so earlier I posted my first mod, which basically became a prototype for this gun. The design of the parts is the same, but the paint and construction are far superior. And I added a laser sight behind the brass fitting above the barrel. So, second thing I've created - as before, a lot of the parts came out of a Neptune water meter register head.

Zthroo

Very nice C20710!
I particularly like the pulley with the woven wire on it. Also the removal of the nerf logo was well done.
Apparatus intemporaliter verto

C20710

I was fortunate enough to have a garage full of power tools to borrow, making the removal of logos and filing down parts a breeze with the belt sander. The owner, my father, just got back today actually. Turns out those four small metal nubs on the lower frame under the cylinder are expensive wiring ports for an MG sports car...three months shipping time from the UK. (Then I was like "would now be a bad time to mention I built two of them"? It was).

LIVE AND LEARN.

The pulley is actually a sewing bobbin for an industrial sewing machine, like...the kind you'd use for sewing canvas for an MG cover. Hah. All the wrapped wires I made myself using a power drill to turn a core wire and guiding the wire I wanted to wrap around it between my thumb and index finger. The one on the bobbin was two copper wires spun together into one, and then I took that one and spun it with a single brass wire. I guess it would be like some sort of electromagnet? Maybe?

Zthroo

Or maybe it's involved mechanically with arming the gun? Or part of the firing mechanism? It's up to you.
My complements on the ingenious use of a power drill.
(and my condolences on inadvertently using the expensive bits)
Apparatus intemporaliter verto

elvisroe

Just thought I'd share this great promotional image from a new Aussie bushranger drama...

All of a sudden I'm very keen to steam up a pepperbox!

Deck5

Quote from: Lucius Baxter on August 10, 2011, 12:05:07 PM
Quote from: Deck5 on July 26, 2011, 02:33:51 AM
Something I've recently finished -- John H. Watson's service revolver, with box.  Based on a dollar-store cap gun.

Oh, good...I....Wow...Wow...WOW! How did you....Wow. I have to do this now. This is just priceless. Great job.

Thanks!  If there's anything I can tell you that might help, let me know.

Gunslinger67

Quote from: Triton on August 08, 2011, 12:04:01 AM
after i got it all cleaned up and resprung it actually operates VERY slickly,

the slide is a little loose as you might expect. someday i hope to get it examined by a proper gunsmith and have it tested (metallurgically and otherwise) and if it passes and is determined to be safe to shoot i shall put some grips on it and shoot it! but not very much, i'd rather get a like new polish one from the 50s for ~225$ and shoot the heck out of it instead! and this isnt exactly steampunk, but it is from 1938 and is one of my favorite guns

mosin nagant 91-30 tula arsenal 1938 date of manufacture, arsenal refurbished with a birchwood stock, i stripped off all the nasty cosmoline and varnish and did a boiled linseed oil finish. floated barrel and bedded receiver and someday a POSP scope!

Very nice . I've a couple Mosins I've been meaning to play with more often . 54R ammo is quite reasonable too .( I need to stock up on it before it dries up )

ETA:  Funny , I just hooked up with a guy that's selling me 1320 rds on Tuesday , for $180 ! WOOT!!
.....and the road becomes my bride .
Μολὼν λαβέ

D.Oakes

I got one of my friends into steampunk...now he is getting his other friends into steampunk...so we just HAD to go junk shopping today.  I found an old flashlight and a busted up radio.  I have been wanting a blunderbuss, so I made one.  It is a work in progress, but as is I still like it enough to post it.  The backstory is that this coil gun blunderbuss was acquired after an unsuccessful attack by Barbary Coast Airship Pirates.  When I realized the wiring and the trigger guard had that Middle East/Asian matchlock look about it, I had to have that backstory and an excuse to use blue fabric.  

The business end:  

The lock, selector switch, and trigger:

D.Oakes

After completing what I could today of my friend's tophat and monocle, I decided to return to working on my coil gun blunderbuss.  I didn't like the blue fabric of course and I decided to age the barrel a lot more.  I had gotten some leather in the trade for doing the top hat, so it came in very handy.  Here it is the final result: 

Otto Von Pifka

ooh I like the leather much better, shows off the flash body better too. needs something where the reflector was, something to busy it up. or maybe a bit of charred look to the inside?

I have used old spoon handles for trigger guards, they work nicely.
just hit the thrift store or a resale shop and look for a big orphaned fancy spoon or other piece.
I just drill a small countersunk hole in the big part of the handle end and cut off the working end right where the handle is skinniest. I bend the first quarter to half inch of the skinny end so that it will go into a hole in the stock and retain that end. I angle the hole in the wood a bit so the tip sort of hooks a little. the curve you can work into the spoon by forcing it around some water pipe or anything sturdy and round. then its just a matter of tweaking the shape to the gun and spotting then drilling a start hole in the stock for the fat part to hold fast. you can even curve the fat end of the spoon to make a bit of a finger stop and drill the hole further forward on the handle.

D.Oakes

Quote from: Otto Von Pifka on August 23, 2011, 08:05:40 AM
ooh I like the leather much better, shows off the flash body better too. needs something where the reflector was, something to busy it up. or maybe a bit of charred look to the inside?

I have used old spoon handles for trigger guards, they work nicely.
just hit the thrift store or a resale shop and look for a big orphaned fancy spoon or other piece.
I just drill a small countersunk hole in the big part of the handle end and cut off the working end right where the handle is skinniest. I bend the first quarter to half inch of the skinny end so that it will go into a hole in the stock and retain that end. I angle the hole in the wood a bit so the tip sort of hooks a little. the curve you can work into the spoon by forcing it around some water pipe or anything sturdy and round. then its just a matter of tweaking the shape to the gun and spotting then drilling a start hole in the stock for the fat part to hold fast. you can even curve the fat end of the spoon to make a bit of a finger stop and drill the hole further forward on the handle.

You know the spoon idea is awesome and I have a ton of miss-matched spoons that would be perfect.  The trigger guard I have now is probably the one I am going to stick with, given that the wood started cracking when I was working on attaching the swivel.  (hence the wire visible in the image before the leather was added)  It is from a cap gun I got when I was little kid, so figure I am 23 and it was not exactly the most expensive thing then and actually was once part of an early steampunk gun project when I first started looking into it.  I'm lucky the wood has lasted this long without cracking.  I'm not sure if you saw the picture of the interior view of the barrel the spring in place is actually from the opposite end of the gun, originally for the battery and stretched a bit.  I was considering charring it up a bit until the science part of science fiction took over at which point I asked myself, "Why would a coil gun have char?"   ;D  I'm bad at math, but I love theoretical science with a passion.  The college I went to for Humanities is very pro-Science and us art people were underfunded by the college and poorly treated by the other disciplines.  It was a matter of survival to have some science interest and be able to hold your ground. 

Captain

Quote from: elvisroe on August 12, 2011, 07:21:46 AM
Just thought I'd share this great promotional image from a new Aussie bushranger drama...

All of a sudden I'm very keen to steam up a pepperbox!

There are a couple threads about just that:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31696.0.html

http://www.thesteampunkempire.com/forum/topics/pepperbox-gun

What is the legality of these functional black powder pepperbox kits in Australia? 
-Karl

elvisroe

With the right handgun license it'd be no worries to own one although importing handguns here is always tricky.  Replicas are unobtainable (legally) in most states however you can own a genuine vintage piece with only a collectors license.

Back in the mid-19th century Australia had the highest ratio of firearms per-capita in the world so there are plenty of old revolvers etc floating around if you know where to look!

Delireus

I'm a technical theatre student and I'm taking a props class this semester. My professor really likes steampunk and I just found out our final in that class is to make a space ray gun XD We'll also be making a gargoyle out of foam, learning how to wire LEDs to give him glowing eyes, and making a period box (hopefully to house the gun)

We get extra points if it shoots a projectile! I assume this will be all hand made, I don't think we'll be able to modify a gun, but I don't know yet. It's so exciting! I took a 'trash class' a year ago where we could only use found objects or things bought at a secondhand store and thats when I made my first pair of goggles. I am going to love this class!

Home is where the faire is

D.Oakes

Confession time....I broke down and purchased a long lever Martini Henry...it should be here by Friday, so long as the Hurricane or UPS does not slow it down.  Ended up getting a purely British version instead of the Ghurkah models I was looking at before.  Bayonet is included.