News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

A Collective Thread for All Them Guns Pt. II

Started by Herr Döktor, April 25, 2011, 05:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maduncle

Quote from: Delireus on August 25, 2011, 04:32:36 AM
I'm a technical theatre student and I'm taking a props class this semester. My professor really likes steampunk and I just found out our final in that class is to make a space ray gun XD We'll also be making a gargoyle out of foam, learning how to wire LEDs to give him glowing eyes, and making a period box (hopefully to house the gun)

We get extra points if it shoots a projectile! I assume this will be all hand made, I don't think we'll be able to modify a gun, but I don't know yet. It's so exciting! I took a 'trash class' a year ago where we could only use found objects or things bought at a secondhand store and thats when I made my first pair of goggles. I am going to love this class!

You get to make a space ray gun for class???

I need to go back and start school all over again - I obviously went to the wrong school.

"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

maduncle

I finished my modified Righteous Bison for the Weta Workshop RPF competition.

Photo's submitted to RPF today.

Fairley B. Strange

Quote from: D.Oakes on August 25, 2011, 07:31:27 AM
Confession time....I broke down and purchased a long lever Martini Henry...it should be here by Friday, so long as the Hurricane or UPS does not slow it down.  Ended up getting a purely British version instead of the Ghurkah models I was looking at before.  Bayonet is included. 

Confession?
Perhaps that should be:
[raises hand]
Hello everybody, my name is Fairley, [pauses for replies]... and I'm a Martini addict...  ;D

The UK ones are usually more trustworthy than the Ghurka or KhyberPass homemade copies, especially if you plan to shoot it, and I can never resist shooting any that I acquire, so I do try to restrain myself... most of the time.
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

Delireus

Quote from: maduncle on August 25, 2011, 01:04:38 PM

Waa! That's completely awesome!
Home is where the faire is

D.Oakes

Quote from: Fairley B. Strange on August 25, 2011, 01:33:42 PM
Quote from: D.Oakes on August 25, 2011, 07:31:27 AM
Confession time....I broke down and purchased a long lever Martini Henry...it should be here by Friday, so long as the Hurricane or UPS does not slow it down.  Ended up getting a purely British version instead of the Ghurkah models I was looking at before.  Bayonet is included. 

Confession?
Perhaps that should be:
[raises hand]
Hello everybody, my name is Fairley, [pauses for replies]... and I'm a Martini addict...  ;D

The UK ones are usually more trustworthy than the Ghurka or KhyberPass homemade copies, especially if you plan to shoot it, and I can never resist shooting any that I acquire, so I do try to restrain myself... most of the time.

Oh I do.   ;D  That is what my thought was on the 2 Ghurka models that needed work I was originally getting.  I have friends with the equipment that we can make the rounds. 
"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

maduncle

Quote from: Delireus on August 25, 2011, 01:49:09 PM

Waa! That's completely awesome!

Thank you my dear, you should see some of the other entries.

I expect they will be on the weta workshop website soon enough.

Prof. Albrecht Von Taggërt

Maduncle,
I see your still up to your stunning work. The gun looks fantastic!

OswaldBastable

Photo's submitted to RPF today.

WoW, Buck Rogers would be proud
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre

Fleebnork

Good day, everyone.

Since I have browsed this forum and specifically this topic for inspiration, I will make my first post here.

I have decided to dip my toe in the steampunk realm along with a friend, and we will be attending DragonCon next weekend.

Here are a few photos of my build-up of a Nerf knockoff "Air Zone" brand gun.

Here's the unpainted beast.

Spoiler: ShowHide

First, used my Dremel tool to get rid of some of the garish molded bits.

Then I added some bits from the hardware store.

I used some Rustoleum brand primer and "hammered bronze" paint. I masked off the areas I planned to paint in the brass color.

Then I added the special effects. I took inspiration from some of you lovely folk and added some mini plasma spheres from Edmund Scientific. At this stage, things still looked a bit bland. You can also see where I have used hinges to mount the plasma spheres. I used this method because I liked them set at an angle, but it also makes it easy to flip them up for access to the batteries. I didn't feel confident enough to try to rewire them to relocate the batteries. My fear was that I might attempt rewiring and end up with non-functional plasma spheres.

I added some details, using some clock hands from the craft store, and some fake leather for the grips and stock, with a few brass brads here and there. I also have copper tubing on each side of the gun, leading to the "coils" at the front.

And there she is. I am considering picking out a few of the molded details with brass paint, but I don't want to overdo it. Suggestions are welcome.

(I have seen people using the spoiler tag, which I presume is out of consideration for people with low bandwidth caps. I have followed suit, since my post is image-heavy.)

akumabito

D.Oakes

Quote from: Fleebnork on August 28, 2011, 03:43:25 PM
Good day, everyone.

Since I have browsed this forum and specifically this topic for inspiration, I will make my first post here.

I have decided to dip my toe in the steampunk realm along with a friend, and we will be attending DragonCon next weekend.

Here are a few photos of my build-up of a Nerf knockoff "Air Zone" brand gun.

Here's the unpainted beast.

First, used my Dremel tool to get rid of some of the garish molded bits.

Then I added some bits from the hardware store.

I used some Rustoleum brand primer and "hammered bronze" paint. I masked off the areas I planned to paint in the brass color.

Then I added the special effects. I took inspiration from some of you lovely folk and added some mini plasma spheres from Edmund Scientific. At this stage, things still looked a bit bland. You can also see where I have used hinges to mount the plasma spheres. I used this method because I liked them set at an angle, but it also makes it easy to flip them up for access to the batteries. I didn't feel confident enough to try to rewire them to relocate the batteries. My fear was that I might attempt rewiring and end up with non-functional plasma spheres.

I added some details, using some clock hands from the craft store, and some fake leather for the grips and stock, with a few brass brads here and there. I also have copper tubing on each side of the gun, leading to the "coils" at the front.

And there she is. I am considering picking out a few of the molded details with brass paint, but I don't want to overdo it. Suggestions are welcome.

(I have seen people using the spoiler tag, which I presume is out of consideration for people with low bandwidth caps. I have followed suit, since my post is image-heavy.)

One word:  Awesome. 
"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

Ocelot

"It just...  Sort of...  Came off."

Fleebnork

H. MacHinery

Quote from: Fleebnork on August 28, 2011, 03:43:25 PM

Firstly, let me add to the praise for this build - excellent work

Secondly, to address your concerns about the batteries - I've seen someone else make a fake battery that fit into the battery space, but was just a set of wires that led out to the real batteries - this allowed them to use the item as a battery-powered device without the hassle of having to reach the compartment every time.

Fleebnork

Thanks for the tip, I shall try that in the future.  ;D

barb dwyer

Maduncle - gasp! I LOVE the Buck Rogers flavored weapons.

Fleebnork - wow! That's 'dipping a TOE??' wow.
*Relentless Optimystic *

Fleebnork

Thanks, Barb. This will be my first steampunk costume, but not my first costume.  ;)

D.Oakes

Hello, my name is Danny Oakes and I am a history addict. 

And I like Martini's too....

I don't care for the language, I don't care for what my ancestors went through, but I do have to give you Brits credit for something: 

barb dwyer

My ex had an Enfield sniper
engraved with the "W"
(house of Windsor - was to be used at the palace)
and was an UNUSED
sniper weapon from WWII.

After having the scope restored,
(it'd molded inside on the lenses of the piece)

It would put a bullet through a tomato paste can
from the length of the shooting range
(however long that was I don't know)
*without a tripod*
and only kicked like a .223-
not much more than a plain old carbine.

Heavy, but a pleasant weapon.
*Relentless Optimystic *

maduncle

Quote from: Fleebnork on August 30, 2011, 11:45:35 AM
Thanks, Barb. This will be my first steampunk costume, but not my first costume.  ;)

Dear Fleebnork, please allow me to add my congratulations on your gun build, you have done a superb job there.

maduncle

Fleebnork

Herr Döktor

Quote from: maduncle on August 31, 2011, 12:02:19 AM
Quote from: Fleebnork on August 30, 2011, 11:45:35 AM

Dear Fleebnork, please allow me to add my congratulations on your gun build, you have done a superb job there.

maduncle

Adding my praise and congratulations, Fleebnork- plasma balls just add a touch of Mad Science to everything, don't they?

Prof.James Hermonimus Smy

excellent deffinately a WIN
what kind of plasma balls are they and what size of battery runs them ?
"Pip pip cheerio , for the tea won't drink it's self"

Fleebnork

Thanks!

There is a link to the website where I bought the plasma spheres in my original post. Each one takes 4 AA batteries.

elvisroe

For all the Nerf nuts...

I was walking past a hobby store this week and noticed that they were selling the new Vortex guns  :o - (I'm sure they're not meant to be released for another week or so.  I couldn't resist and must say I'm mighty impressed with the little single shot blaster I purchased.  

Awesome range compared to the darts and plenty of steamy potential!  Pix to come soon...  ;)