News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

hair styles?

Started by Lady Ashgrove, June 05, 2011, 01:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ashgrove

sooo

I have med/long hair (to the middle of my back)

are there any good sites out there for SIMPLE hairstyles?

thank you

Angelica Needle

The Gibson tuck was mentioned a while back, I'll see if I can track down the thread. *
I'm also on the lookout for anything simple, especially for fine hair ;)
I did find some rather nice pre-styled hair buns on ebay, but there's definitely a trick to using them!!

* here we go http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,25321.0.html
The sound of the gentle rattle of china cup on china saucer drives away all demons, a little-known fact.
Terry Pratchett, Snuff

Lady Ashgrove

thanks that looks "doable" for me

Dove

I do something similar with my hair, only I pull it all the way though, so the sides are "twisted" but it lays flat on my neck. Sort of like a 1/2 up 1/2 down style.

This link was on the other post, and I love the styles they have there, so I thought I'd share it

Clockwork Bee

Hey,

I've been messing around with steampunk hairstyle ideas for a meet tomorrow and thought I'd post what I managed incase it sparks some ideas. Sorry the pictures are so big.

Spoiler: ShowHide

I just back combed all the front and pinned it in a big poof, stuck the rest in a high ponytail, backcombed that and pinned it in a bun. Pinned a hairpiece in underneath (it came on a big clip but I eased it off the clip so I can pin it flat to my head or over a bun and do more with it, plaited that into 3, pinned them in big loops and then pinned in one necklace, one pair of dangly earrings and the remains of another necklace all on grips so I had dangles everywhere. I kinda like that it's a little messy, makes it slightly more punk and less straight victorian. Took me about 15 minutes from whim to finished.

MistressMagpie

The Long Hair Community has a massive number of style articles, many of which could look Victorian with a little bit of twisting or backcombing at the top and sides-- even a simple braid can look stunning. They also have a very good forum, if you want feedback or help with something.

Rapunzel's Delight has an archive of photos of Victorian updos, some of which are from angles that allow some reverse-engineering, as well as some period hair-care articles and styling guides (Part 1, 2, 3, 4). They also have a page of 'modern' styles that wouldn't look out of place at a SP function. I know a lot of those styles are rather intimidating looking, but a lot are simpler than they look-- the length of hair makes them look harder than they are. Also, even if you don't want to recreate them, they'll still give you ideas for things to incorporate into your own styles. :)

You might also want to look into hair pieces-- many of those Victorian styles used them, especially a long, sausage-shaped pad called a 'rat' which gave that big front pouf volume. Extensions of various sorts will give you extra thickness. You could also use small ones for instant accent curls-- Wilhelmina Frame has a very nice set of ringlets, and uses them to great effect. You can also buy whole buns-- use your normal hair for the pouf and ringlets, and the bun just clips right on the back. Wigs.com has a good number of different hairpieces you might look at. If you'd like to make your own, you can buy clips and hair from various beauty supply places.

MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.

ZenGwen

Seconding the recommendation of the Long Hair Community boards. They are fantastic, I don't spend as much time there as I should.

I have hair down to my bum, and usually put it up into a hypno bun for everyday wear. They look elegant and complex despite being really simple, they hold like a rock, and they use hairsticks so... well, there are some awesome steampunk hair jewelry sellers on etsy (although I haven't had the money/inclination to buy from them yet, I usually pick up hairsticks at hippie shops.) Tutorial here: The Hypno Bun.

I've always thought decorative hair combs were lovely as well. They're a bit impractical for me, but I do like wearing them occasionally, and you can get some very lovely ones.
Young, courageous, and out of my mind.

darkshines

I gave up even having hair, and now I have a short pixie cut. The top is long enough for me to backcomb it up or have it in a mohawk, but if I want to look like a goddamn pretty princess, I will buy a wig.
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

locusta

I'm on the verge of getting a short cut to do away with the hair damaged from my last color experiments. I've been seriously considering getting a couple of wigs just for variety.

Although ZenGwen's video has my missing my long hair days. ;)

Lady Ashgrove

ky hair is not quite long enough for a hypno bun

and I tried to get on the LHCforums and never did get a confirmation back that they like me.

it is sort of frustrating my hair is long but not **quite** long enough for the pretty styles I see.

The ladies that are demoing the hair style are like - just whip it around your hand and again and again and I am sitting her going WAIT I ran out of hair a couple of "whips" ago......

LadyAsprin

I either put it in a two small buns (or some times just one) at the side so I can wear my glengarry without it in the way or I put it in a high bun.  I tie it in to a ponytail then wrap it round its self the I put my hair sabres in.
Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)

MistressMagpie

Quote from: Lady Ashgrove on June 24, 2011, 08:25:05 PM
ky hair is not quite long enough for a hypno bun

and I tried to get on the LHCforums and never did get a confirmation back that they like me.

it is sort of frustrating my hair is long but not **quite** long enough for the pretty styles I see.

The ladies that are demoing the hair style are like - just whip it around your hand and again and again and I am sitting her going WAIT I ran out of hair a couple of "whips" ago......

I'm a member there-- anything I could do to make your way a bit easier, let me know. As far as the hair length challenge.... I think there's a thread rolling around somewhere in the LHC forums that lists styles by the lengths that work best for them. :)

Best of luck,
Mags
MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.

glorifield

Quote from: ZenGwen on June 23, 2011, 07:02:00 AM
Seconding the recommendation of the Long Hair Community boards. They are fantastic, I don't spend as much time there as I should.

I have hair down to my bum, and usually put it up into a hypno bun for everyday wear. They look elegant and complex despite being really simple, they hold like a rock, and they use hairsticks so... well, there are some awesome steampunk hair jewelry sellers on etsy (although I haven't had the money/inclination to buy from them yet, I usually pick up hairsticks at hippie shops.) Tutorial here: The Hypno Bun.

I've always thought decorative hair combs were lovely as well. They're a bit impractical for me, but I do like wearing them occasionally, and you can get some very lovely ones.

This was very helpful for me.  I thank you for sharing.

ZenGwen

Absolutely, glad to be of service.
Young, courageous, and out of my mind.

Adventures Darling

Any help for a young lady with an unusual problem? I have a severely irregular hairline, and most styles would not only broadcast this to the universe, but would just look horrible on me.

I would love to be able to wear my hair in some beautiful or unusual style (my hair is shoulder-length), but there's a couple of problems: I can't fully pull it up in the back, nor can I backcomb it off my forehead. I usually take a couple locks of hair and cross them behind to hide my hairline if I'm wearing a style that exposes the back. Virtually any style must be worn with bangs until and unless I can grow them out enough to pull them back while still covering my flaws.

If anyone can find some links to or pictures of hairstyles that 1) do not expose the back, and 2) do not require pulling the hair off the crown, please post. Thanks!

MistressMagpie

Quote from: Adventures Darling on July 23, 2011, 04:35:58 PM
Any help for a young lady with an unusual problem? I have a severely irregular hairline, and most styles would not only broadcast this to the universe, but would just look horrible on me.

I would love to be able to wear my hair in some beautiful or unusual style (my hair is shoulder-length), but there's a couple of problems: I can't fully pull it up in the back, nor can I backcomb it off my forehead. I usually take a couple locks of hair and cross them behind to hide my hairline if I'm wearing a style that exposes the back. Virtually any style must be worn with bangs until and unless I can grow them out enough to pull them back while still covering my flaws.

If anyone can find some links to or pictures of hairstyles that 1) do not expose the back, and 2) do not require pulling the hair off the crown, please post. Thanks!

My recommendation would be to use low buns, especially tucked, chignon styles, draped French braids started low on the head, and the like, smoothing the hair down from your part around the sides of your head. Covering the ears is period, but takes some getting used to.

If there's a specific style of bun you'd like to try, but can't quite keep stable without hair underneath to pin it to, get some of those really fine-meshed hairnets to wrap around it; that's how they kept Leia's buns from falling off her head while she was galloping down starship corridors.

Vintage-y Up-Do

FabHair

Have you checked om Google or Pinterest? Imm sure you can get ideas for the best hairstyles out there that matches your hair type and style. But if you have short hair, try using hair extension for the perfect and fabulous hairstyle... :) https://www.perfectlocks.com/collections/curly-fusion-hair-extensions

J. Wilhelm

I keep seeing this "hair styles" thread necromanced in March by single time poster "FabHair" at the top of the Anatomical section.  Now I'm intrigued. This is a very old thread, but not wanting to assume this is just a bot necromanced thread, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to this thread.

By any chance do any of our current members want to add any interesting comments on hirsute scalp management, a.k.a. hairstyle? Or has grooming interest died down along with the mainstreaming of Steampunk?

mizzarrogh

I will probably make anew tread if it is needed, but i am currently into female hairstyles from the late 1800 done with hair extension since my real hair is unfortunately not what it once was. I personaly love the 1940s styles adapted to hard wotk, but doablae without expensive accesoirs othervise. :-) (This is of course for my planned stempunk dress whan i can afford more fabric...  :) ).

SeVeNeVeS

I'm afraid at my age hair styles are a thought of the far and distant past.

Buzz cut grade 2 is all I can achieve these days and that is all but grey.

My ears however seem to be flourishing more growth every day, a veritable forrest in the making.  ::)  :P

mizzarrogh

Ha ha! Why do You think i asked about cheap hair extensions for my 1700 dressplay (they did use it at the time as well so it should be fine i hope)...  ;)

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on April 02, 2024, 01:16:26 PMI'm afraid at my age hair styles are a thought of the far and distant past.

Buzz cut grade 2 is all I can achieve these days and that is all but grey.

My ears however seem to be flourishing more growth every day, a veritable forrest in the making.  ::)  :P

Quote from: mizzarrogh on April 02, 2024, 05:03:48 PMHa ha! Why do You think i asked about cheap hair extensions for my 1700 dressplay (they did use it at the time as well so it should be fine i hope)...  ;)

I totally feel your pain, though I'm not suffering from a lack of hair, but rather very thin hair.  You can tell the level of humidity in the atmosphere by the curliness of my hair!  :-[   

As you may or may not know, I wear my hair in a 1920s Shingle Bob hairstyle.  It's part of my persona, both in the literary and real worlds. I was born with straight hair, but as I've aged, getting straight hair is now doable on very dry air only.  I was watching this fashion model-turned trance music DJ on YouTube yesterday, Estella Boersma, I believe is her name (so pretty she looks like  cartoon character), with severe hair envy. She had the nicest, silkiest, straightest 1920s bobbed hair I've ever seen.

Please tell me this is a wig. It's got to be. No way this is real hair.

Could have been a wig for all I know (and probably was), but it doesn't matter, as getting my hair to look like that - perfectly straight, headbanging it while dancing and DJ-ing for an hour (?) in a giant hot arena full of people seems like reaching the Holy Grail of scalpdom. No amount of hair conditioning could achieve that performance ;D

There are some advantages to curling, but you have to work with it.  At my place of employment, I'm often working outside at the cash register, and I have to wear a cap or my Steampunk fur hat when it's cold (a real conversation starter), to keep the hair out of my face with the wind.  If my hair  doesn't get too sweaty, I'll get curls on the end of my hair that make my bob look a bit like 20s "finger curls." That's basically the reason flappers used to wear a knit "Cloché Hat" when running about town.  And it seems I've rediscovered the technique!

Synistor 303

There are numerous non-expensive hair-pieces that are available from a couple of overseas cheap clothing companies. The hairpieces are many and varied and would suit any application.

I know this because I made the mistake of clicking on an ad and now are constantly bombarded with hair-piece and wig ads any time I look at any news online. I occasionally watch 'Murdoch Mysteries' and figured out that Murdoch's main squeeze wore (at least) 2 hair pieces to make it look as if she had long Victorian-style hair.

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: Synistor 303 on April 06, 2024, 12:24:47 AMI know this because I made the mistake of clicking on an ad and now are constantly bombarded with hair-piece and wig ads any time I look at any news online.
Install an AD Blocker in your browser. I use ADblockPlus (free) in firefox.
No annoying Ads and it also blocks ads on youtube.
https://adblockplus.org/
You may have to clear your cookies first, make sure you know any log ins and passwords to all your sites, just to be safe .

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Synistor 303 on April 06, 2024, 12:24:47 AMThere are numerous non-expensive hair-pieces that are available from a couple of overseas cheap clothing companies. The hairpieces are many and varied and would suit any application.

I know this because I made the mistake of clicking on an ad and now are constantly bombarded with hair-piece and wig ads any time I look at any news online. I occasionally watch 'Murdoch Mysteries' and figured out that Murdoch's main squeeze wore (at least) 2 hair pieces to make it look as if she had long Victorian-style hair.

Clip-on bangs  ;D

There's a couple of backstage videos of her getting ready and clipping on the fan shaped piece before separate gala events.  She wanted to wear a real bob with bangs for a really long time, but had to wait until she did an ad campaign for Prada.

Model/actor Hunter Schafer at HBO's "Euphoria" Second Season Premiere party January 2022