News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

>The Smoking Room< The Second Storey

Started by Herr Döktor, July 26, 2011, 01:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. H. Pennypecker

"with another playing the theme to Deliverance whilst he did so."

carfull, your in danger of making the mistake I did. tisk tisk

helios

Am I? Or do I just know my friends, and their enjoyment of ironic music choices?
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

M. H. Pennypecker

helios

Well, I will admit I'm coming awful close, but I believe here there is the problem inherent in this form of communication. It becomes awful difficult to tell when one is talking humourously and tongue in cheek, or if someone is simply taking low shots at a certain group. I fear that we may both have fallen prey to this.
As such, I broadly apologise, and bid thee a good night.

M. H. Pennypecker

Ah! A good point and we agree fully.
So all is well and we can agree as gentlemen.
I did mean my comments a a joke as well and hope all took them as such.

Fairley B. Strange

Upon reflection - perhaps my lack of appreciation of the banjo has been coloured by that particular moving picture show and it's associations.
Certainly Mr Kipling is fervent in it's praise as the instrument of the wagon-road, and I am usually in favour of a bit of Kipling.

After all, there's nothing wrong with a quick Kipple...  ;D
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

BB BlackDog

Gentlemen
As the conversation has meandered in this direction,
Thought some of you might like to read some Lyrics I've been working on inspired by said Cinematographic boat trip.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Ye Haa, Come on cleatus, let play some of that thar Jiggin music.

I drink moonshine by the jar,
Around my town I'm a banjo star,
I sit on the bridge and watch the boats go by,
New fangled things don't reach my town,
And I eat all my gun shoot's down,
But I can't shoot them silver birds way up high.

Ye haa, that's some fancy dancing boy, that there bass banjo sure makes some mighty fine tunes.

My Cousin is my brother,
My Sister is my mother,
My farther left town on the greyhound bus,
As for Cleatus no one knows,
But he has 12 fingers and toes,
So we know he must be one of us.

Links to my Band "BB BlackDog"'s website's WWW.steampunkrecords.COM/BBBLACKDOGUK
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/BBBLACKDOG            
WWW.BBBLACKDOG.EU

Grymm

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

I've tried to see it from your point of view but I can't fit my head up your arse'ole too.

James Harrison

Nothing wrong with a good bit of banjo music...

deliverance - banjo vs banjo

Then again, I do live to the wild north-west of Birmingham...
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Grymm

Quote from: James Harrison on July 31, 2011, 04:38:12 PM
Nothing wrong with a good bit of banjo music...

deliverance - banjo vs banjo

Then again, I do live to the wild north-west of Birmingham...

Yow'm ent frem rewn yere, am ya boi!
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

I've tried to see it from your point of view but I can't fit my head up your arse'ole too.

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

Jeeves would rather leave Bertie Woosters employ rather than suffer Berties practicing on the instrument (Thankyou Jeeves). Apparently Jeeves view is that it too is the instrument of the inbred idiot,  Wooster and his fellow Drones. Forget Deliverance, Wodehouse got there first and best!
Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!

Miles (a sailor)Martin

As a banjo player, whose father and mother were definitely not related before marriage (one was a Yankee the other a Dixie Rebel) ,all of the ones i have met are from similar spread out genepools. ;D                                           Miles
Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo

The Squire

The Mizzone Brothers - same blood line. But only the little one plays that old tuning-peg banjer.

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."

Ella, Aerial Musketeer

*slowly drinks*
so, no one will take me on?

Miles (a sailor)Martin

Well my dear you are a bit of a flight from where I call home, but if i can get my (imaginary) airship the Arieon lV to make the trip ,i could use a full time engineer.
                                               Miles
Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo

Ella, Aerial Musketeer

hmmm DONE
now has anyone seen a small loaded revolver laying around i lost it when i came in and put the tacks on the seats...sorry about that

The Squire

Quote from: Ella, Aerial Musketeer on July 31, 2011, 07:44:53 AM

did you draw that just for me  :)
i quiet like it at any rate :)

Mais oui, mademoiselle, I drew that late night sketch for you. Glad you liked it.

Quote*slowly drinks*

Take you on, eh? What can you do, wee snippet? You call yourself "Aerial Musketeer" but can you tie a bowline, can you reef and rig, can you fend off boarders?

On the Airship New Gael, we all must perform the functions of Able Airman and more, or we will never be able to take on the forces of The Order.

If you think you have the gears, report to First Mate O'Shaunessy and tell him that you are to assigned to the Rigging Crew as per my orders. Please don't make me regret this decision.

(If the Engineer appointment on Captain Martin's DoodleBug-class Airship doesn't pan out, of course.)

"And now, lads . . . and lassies . . . drinks are on me."

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."

Fairley B. Strange

Quote from: Ella, Aerial Musketeer on July 31, 2011, 09:29:34 PM
*slowly drinks*

Eh, whassat? I'll take you all on - have at yeh all with this empty bottle of mes... mez... argh, well, it's some kind of mess anyway... all a blurry mess... and a lot of bally banjo-noise in my head... and a pretty little scor... schkorp... pretty little stingy creature... here you go, little gurlie, Ol'Fairley's a man of my word, one pet little whatsisname. Now, if you gentlemen will exschkuse me, I think I shall retire now....

[folds self into a small crumpled heap under the corner table and commences snoring softly]
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

MWBailey

Quote from: Grymm on July 31, 2011, 04:30:24 PM

What's really funny here is that the person who posted the above apparently
1. Has not seen the movie that inspired it, and thus knows nothing about it,
2. Didn't pay any real attention when they did watch it, or
3. Watched it and paid attention to it, but failed to retain any accurate memories of the experience.

In fact, the dangerous individuals in the movie were not related, storywise, to the boy who played the banjo, who in actuality played the part of, so to speak, an angelic sentinel posted just before the entrance to hell; I'm referencing the shot, of course, of said boy standing on the footbridge as he watched the canoeists pass by beneath into the clutches of the canyon ( a 'hellish pit,' as it turned out, in more than just metaphor).

There is, in fact, no evidence in any scientifically-conducted study that suggests that Banjo playing promotes inbreeding or low intelligence -- or is any kind of outgrowth thereof. Pun intended.

It has in fact been shown, conversely, that instruction in the playing of musical instruments of all types (some more than others; fingered instruments especially) actually strengthens neural pathways, and improves aptitudes, especially those associated with such fields as mathematics and reasoning, especially spatial reasoning.

Not to mention that the Banjo was in the midst of its early heyday prior to and during the Victorian period, and popular in England during that time. I reference the popularity in England and Europe of Minstrel shows, in which the banjo figured prominently as both a prop and as a source of support for the performance.

Also, an Englishman invented a distinctly English type of banjo, which he named the Zither Banjo (very popular recently with antique collectors), which was wildly popular right up into the 1920s (it has also enjoyed a recent resurgence in popularity among amateur musicians).

Yep, I can take a joke. I did say it was funny, after all... :D
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

The Corsair

OL;AFR
(Overly Lengthy; Avoided Fully Reading)
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

MWBailey

Yikes, I did it again...so much for my understanding nature. :(

RIAIDYG
(Read It Anyway, It'll Do You Good)

The Corsair

Quote from: MWBailey on August 01, 2011, 02:20:19 AM
Yikes, I did it again...so much for my understanding nature. :(

RIAIDYG
(Read It Anyway, It'll Do You Good)

SST
Sorry, Stubborn Teenager :P
(acronym war ahoy!)
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

MWBailey

Ah, to be young again, what larks!

Enjoy your freedom to ignore adults. It's its own reward.

helios

RL;RAAEI
(Rather Long; Read Anyway and Enjoyed it)

BB BlackDog

Quote from: MWBailey on August 01, 2011, 01:40:06 AM
Quote from: Grymm on July 31, 2011, 04:30:24 PM

What's really funny here is that the person who posted the above apparently
1. Has not seen the movie that inspired it, and thus knows nothing about it,
2. Didn't pay any real attention when they did watch it, or
3. Watched it and paid attention to it, but failed to retain any accurate memories of the experience.

In fact, the dangerous individuals in the movie were not related, storywise, to the boy who played the banjo, who in actuality played the part of, so to speak, an angelic sentinel posted just before the entrance to hell; I'm referencing the shot, of course, of said boy standing on the footbridge as he watched the canoeists pass by beneath into the clutches of the canyon ( a 'hellish pit,' as it turned out, in more than just metaphor).

There is, in fact, no evidence in any scientifically-conducted study that suggests that Banjo playing promotes inbreeding or low intelligence -- or is any kind of outgrowth thereof. Pun intended.

It has in fact been shown, conversely, that instruction in the playing of musical instruments of all types (some more than others; fingered instruments especially) actually strengthens neural pathways, and improves aptitudes, especially those associated with such fields as mathematics and reasoning, especially spatial reasoning.

Not to mention that the Banjo was in the midst of its early heyday prior to and during the Victorian period, and popular in England during that time. I reference the popularity in England and Europe of Minstrel shows, in which the banjo figured prominently as both a prop and as a source of support for the performance.

Also, an Englishman invented a distinctly English type of banjo, which he named the Zither Banjo (very popular recently with antique collectors), which was wildly popular right up into the 1920s (it has also enjoyed a recent resurgence in popularity among amateur musicians).

Yep, I can take a joke. I did say it was funny, after all... :D

Hello good sir
Just a couple of points
Banjo Bridge Boy was seen again at the Dance Party/Swamp Village, with the Dangerous Individuals later in the Film
Common Consensus is The Banjo came to the US from the Far east via the middle east to Africa, and brought from there to the US Via Slaves, so Highly likely that European traders would have come across them and brought them back as curiosity's, way before this.
Banjo's were very popular in Europe, and still are today.
Thanks to numerous Films, it has unfortunately become Synonymous now with incorrectly fingered, close related southern US types
Sorry I know a bit OL;AFR
(Overly Lengthy; Avoid Fully Reading)  
Links to my Band "BB BlackDog"'s website's WWW.steampunkrecords.COM/BBBLACKDOGUK
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/BBBLACKDOG            
WWW.BBBLACKDOG.EU