News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Steampunk desktop themes: your screenshots

Started by Stefan Freestate, August 17, 2007, 02:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whats your desktop like?

Mac
83 (55.3%)
Linux
67 (44.7%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Acherontia

Haven't set up widgets on my Mac yet. I've been using icons from MkII, British Library III, and other sources, as well as LiteIcon, cDock and some other software.

yereverluvinunclebert

Acherontia - I love those screenshots.

I know, another screenshot from Windows showing my widgets. This time my current workhorse a Dell e5400 laptop.

Just loaded my old widgets, felt like updating a few, so I need them on my desktop.

Black and white background - the widgets still look good to me.

This desktop works. Volume control top right, my media player playing "Wrong Number" by the Cure, weather feed being updated realtime, cpu and other resource usage monitored bottom right, alarms handled by the my old clock/calendar, notes taken on my orrery, two attractive clocks and a stopwatch.  Folder manager being updated now.

Yahoo widgets and Xwidgets mixed together. System is idling at 10%-15% usage. 2.5ghz core2duo.

My Xwidgets are here:

http://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/gallery/59981273/xwidgets

My Yahoo Widgets are here:

http://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/gallery/59981269/yahoo-widgets
Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute

yereverluvinunclebert

Just working on a Steampunk skin for VLC media player.

Banfili

Nice!
I feel a bit drab - I have a abstract picture of my old (now deceased) B&W cat & my (living) jinga ninja cuddled up together! That's on my Mac. On my netbook I have a photo of an Irish prehistoric court tomb - Shanballyedmond, in Co. Tipperary, and my icons are mix of British Library and Autumn.
How boring!

yereverluvinunclebert

Banfili

unclebert, no photo hosting site, either!
How is Norfolk?

yereverluvinunclebert

Use imgur or deviantart.

This is a mockup of the VLC media player skin:

Norfolk is lovely.

Banfili

I think I'd like that castle - just parcel it up and send it to Ireland, on the west coast, somewhere in Co. Clare!

I think I looked at imgur some time ago. May have another look.

yereverluvinunclebert

imgur is reliable, deviantart is not, that's why you couldn't initially see my last media player image, I changed it to imgur and it appears... tinypic seems good too, avoid photobucket like the plague.

Banfili

Yes, I have seen the Photobucket thread!
Might have a look at tinypic later on this morning.

yereverluvinunclebert

My media player widget is having an upgrade. I'm adding support for Mac OS/X through the use of Applescript and Quicktime to the Yahoo widget media player.

On the desktop portion here you can see one copy of the Yahoo widget version on the top right and the two Xwidget versions on the left.

The Xwidget version allows you to run multiple versions of the media player on your desktop, each opening a separate folder of your choice. The memory footprint is small, the cpu usage negligible on one of today's basic Windows desktops.

Yahoo widget here:
https://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-MediaPlayer-Ywidget-RC-1-0-10-640962325

Xwidget version here:
https://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-media-player-Xwidget-2-0-1-677973202

Banfili

yereverluvinunclebert

I have some instructions on how to run the widgets successfully on OS/X and removing the dock issues that arose from El Kapitan onward. It is simply modifying the .plist file for YWE and editing one line to disable the dock. YWE then runs perfectly well, the widgets function correctly.

I am getting my old Mac working, I'll test it there and then document the method.

The media player widget functions beautifully on all forms of Windows, it has been modified to work on OS/X but is not available yet for that o/s as it needs to be tested and debugged. A work in progress.

yereverluvinunclebert

Instructions for running Yahoo widgets on Mac OS/X, all recent versions including Sierra.

Edit the following file:

com.yahoo.widgetengine.plist which is in /Users/xxx/Library/Preferences. Look for these lines:    <key>DockOpen</key>
   <string>false</string>

Change to false if it is true.

Then you should be able to start Yahoo! Widgets and the menubar item should appear. Widgets can then be started from the menubar or by double-clicking them in the usual way.

Banfili

yereverluvinunclebert

yereverluvinunclebert

Mac os/x compatible version available now 1.0.11, can be downloaded here:
https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/art/Steampunk-Media-Player-Yahoo-Konfabulator-1-0-13-R-640962325

Works on Windows and Mac os/x. Still imperfect but most bugs ironed out.

Integrates with Windows media player on Windows and the QT player on Mac os/x.

yereverluvinunclebert

We have a new desktop widget for Windows and Mac OSX, works identically for both oses.

The new widget is a hole in your screen (burnt by the Martians) that can be moved around the desktop and placed where you like. It sits underneath all other widgets and other desktop items exposing the inner workings of your broken screen.

If you drop any desktop item (shortcuts, files, documents &c) it will automatically place those into the appropriate folder, for example .doc files will be moved to the my documents folder. If it fails to recognise a specific file type then you can manually add that extension to the list and it will deal with them from that point on. It works on Windows 7, 8 and 10, Vista and Mac OS/X High Sierra, (not tested on XP but it should work).

You can customise the folders to point to any location you wish, you don't have to use the Windows/Mac default folders if you don't want to.

You can get it here: https://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Hole-Desktop-Tidy-Tool-721172390

yereverluvinunclebert

New version of the Steampunk Media, version 1.0.13, lots of bug fixes and minor changes, lots of work behind the scenes.

Download it here:

https://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Media-Player-Yahoo-Konfabulator-1-0-13-R-640962325

Banfili

Have some restricted activity time coming up - may have to indulge in some of this in between working on the tombs!
Thank you, unclebert - beautiful work, as always!  ;D

yereverluvinunclebert

Banfili

More information, as requested!

I am currently undertaking a part-time Master of Philosophy (hopefully morphing into a PhD at the end of the year, if progress is good enough!) on the subject of "An Exploration of the Megalithic Court Tombs of Ireland and the Clyde Cairns of South-West Scotland".

Roughly what it's all about boils down to "A thorough examination of the architecture, engineering, and social commitment involved in the construction of Neolithic Irish Court Tombs and Scottish Clyde Cairns". More or less the same things, in two generally geographically close locations, with several different types and sub-categories.

Apart from visiting relatives and tracing ancestors, it's part of the reason for my recent frequent trips to Ireland, although because of said restricted activity time I don't think I will get there this year.
Not something you will find in Norfolk!!

yereverluvinunclebert

It sounds intriguing and fun. There are a few tombs here I imagine, this part of the world being inhabited for the same period of time, just not Irish ones...

The tomb-builders tended to congregate in certain areas and with stone being prevalent in those areas they survive. Norfolk barrows do exist but long periods of farming, ploughing and an absence of stone have tended to ruin them.

Grimes Graves (not a grave) are really worth looking into.

If your research turns up any cogs or pipes from the period do let us know.

Banfili

The sites are pretty well excavated already, I'm afraid, and no cogs or pipes turned up at all! But a pretty brilliant building effort with nothing more than a (relatively) straight edge, a right angle and a plumb bob!!

Interestingly, at that period of time,in many places where you had stone you had tombs, preferentially over graves, which are a different kettle of fish entirely.

yereverluvinunclebert

My Windows 7 lappie showing my dieselpunk gauges, the newest of which are my weather gauges showing, air pressure, speed, direction, temperature, humidity, cloud cover. A development of my old combined steampunk gauge it shows the weather in separate gauges and provides the weather in textual form too (see clipboard).

Closer detail shows the gauges in operation giving realtime weather updates in dieselpunk form. I will adapt these gauges to a complete steampunk makeover as soon as I have completed the design and implementation.

Each gauge has its own help screen