News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Steampunk desktop themes: your screenshots

Started by Stefan Freestate, August 17, 2007, 02:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whats your desktop like?

Mac
83 (55.3%)
Linux
67 (44.7%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Daemon

If one were so inclined, that image is large enough to save, photoshop out the folder and save/convert it as an .ico file for use. I considered it but wouldn't want to do so and offer it without permission of the screenshot image holder.

Capt_Zaphod

Kor Greenfield

Quote from: Daemon on November 29, 2008, 07:38:36 PM
If one were so inclined, that image is large enough to save, photoshop out the folder and save/convert it as an .ico file for use. I considered it but wouldn't want to do so and offer it without permission of the screenshot image holder.
I might do just that, but I lack Photoshop...
Normal is something we've invented to keep out the demons and Gods and magic and monsters that live just on the other side of the "normal' world we've built for ourselves.

Kor Greenfield

Quote from: aburke2435 on November 30, 2008, 04:09:23 PM
Use GIMP.
I am not familiar with this GIMP... What is it? Is it one of those things that is standard on most computers?
Normal is something we've invented to keep out the demons and Gods and magic and monsters that live just on the other side of the "normal' world we've built for ourselves.

kaffemustasj

I spent some short time in photoshop and got the folder out, like Daemon suggested.

I put it in use immediately as you can see under the spoiler
Spoiler: ShowHide
Now I need to do something about my overall theme.

For those of you interested you can download the icon here. I did some minor changes to the overall look, i don't know if you will notice, but at least it is not a direct copy.

kaffemustasj

Quote from: Kor Greenfield on November 30, 2008, 04:26:45 PM
Use GIMP.
I am not familiar with this GIMP... What is it? Is it one of those things that is standard on most computers?

GIMP is short for GNU Image Manipulation Program. You can use it to process digital images and graphics. Some things you may do in GIMP is cropping, color changes, delete unwanted objects and convert file formats.
Its not something that usually comes standard with computers, but it is free to download.

aburke2435

Quote from: kaffemustasj on November 30, 2008, 06:43:44 PM
Quote from: Kor Greenfield on November 30, 2008, 04:26:45 PM
Use GIMP.

GIMP is short for GNU Image Manipulation Program. You can use it to process digital images and graphics. Some things you may do in GIMP is cropping, color changes, delete unwanted objects and convert file formats.
Its not something that usually comes standard with computers, but it is free to download.
And, now that I think about it, from www.gimp.org.  It is available on most platforms.

Kor Greenfield

Thank you! That should prove very helpful for modding my desktop. Mwahahaha! O_Q

Kor Greenfield

Right.. OK. Now I have yet another issue. I managed to convert my My Documents folder into the Steampunk image of DOOM, but the rest of the folders won't let me change them... I knew how to do this in XP, but Vista has gone and messed it all up. Any Vista users out there who can tell me how to modify non-desktop icons?

KhaiJBach

Quote from: Kor Greenfield on December 01, 2008, 01:32:02 PM
Right.. OK. Now I have yet another issue. I managed to convert my My Documents folder into the Steampunk image of DOOM, but the rest of the folders won't let me change them... I knew how to do this in XP, but Vista has gone and messed it all up. Any Vista users out there who can tell me how to modify non-desktop icons?

http://www.download.com/IconTweaker/3000-2195_4-10483132.html

Kor Greenfield

Quote from: KhaiJBach on December 01, 2008, 01:42:21 PM
Quote from: Kor Greenfield on December 01, 2008, 01:32:02 PM

http://www.download.com/IconTweaker/3000-2195_4-10483132.html
Ah, yes. Much appreciated, yet again. We shall see if this works!

kaffemustasj

Those were aboslutely great! I will definatly innstall them within the day.

Kor Greenfield

Alas, my computer refuses to install the icon modification program above. Perhaps I shall be able to find one on my own that Vista can tolerate... stupid Vista.

kaffemustasj

I had the same problem. I just searched cnet, and found Iconpackager, you may want to try that.
Note that it is only a 30 day trial, but it works great.

Vampyre Master

S.Sprocket

This has got to be one of my favorite threads.  STICKY!

Keep the pictures coming!
"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah

von Corax

Quote from: Vampyre Master on December 03, 2008, 05:34:18 PM
Quote from: KhaiJBach on December 02, 2008, 07:02:29 AM
http://paradis24434.deviantart.com/art/Antique-icons-65361362
Greetings
have dl the file its .rar how do I use the icons
regards
Vampyre

.rar is a somewhat-obscure compressed-archive format. WinZip might open it, but I'm not sure as I've never actually seen a .rar face-to-face.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Daemon

7-Zip is even better (opensource too). Pretty much unpacks everything.

http://www.7-zip.org/

kaffemustasj

I have tried a lot of different unrar programs. But to agree with Daemon, 7-zip is best.

Everything working for you now?

Nattravn

Hello folks. I just found this forum when I was googeling for ways to make my desktop more steampunk. This is my result so far:

Marrock

Found this a while ago and made it more wallpaper sized.

No idea who is responsible for the art.

inception8

Here's a screenshot of a customized desktop (WindowsXP) I created along with a few customized icons for Rocketdock. Rocket dock is an application launcher (ie. Stardock's Objectdock) similar to the cool app launcher found on Macs. This is also available as a download on Rocketdock or my deviantart account. http://inception8.deviantart.com

Rocketdock can be found here:
The dimensions for the wallpaper background are 1680x1050 widescreen which is included in the zip file if anyone decides to download it. Instructions are included.

deviantArt link for Steampunk Clockwerk Kubrick:

Rocketdock link for Steampunk Clockwerk Kubrick (Rocketdock should be present and installed):

Thanks for looking.

I'm relatively new to the greater scene at large and have a curious new interest in something I've know about only for a long long time as being 'a Jules Verne thing' and not as the coined term Steampunk. I'm a digital artist of sorts and I like to do artist things. So if I can add to the things available out there for everyone then hopefully that's one of my common goals. I'm also out of work...

D.