News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Steampunk desktop themes: your screenshots

Started by Stefan Freestate, August 17, 2007, 02:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whats your desktop like?

Mac
83 (55.3%)
Linux
67 (44.7%)

Total Members Voted: 147

SomewhatSavvy

Pardon my ignorance but, where is it that you download all these skins for Wondows XP? I wasn't even aware you could do so :-[.

JVonDredd

I've been looking for the longest time for a whole visual style (ie cogs and animations and stuff) as well as some objectdock icons that all fit steampunk/raygun gothic styles but so far nothing is really that good , if i knew how to make one (and had the time) I would.

pixelrunner

This is what I am currently clanging around with.

Mac OS X ,  Programs on the bottom from left to right
finder, safari, mail, Itunes, pages, secret book, iPhoto, iCal, address book, iChat,  then trash

the gear is my HD

The theme is a shapeshifter theme called Nobilis

I am working on making my outer case brass and wood.  More on that as it develops.

J. Draughtsman

Quote from: SomewhatSavvy on August 24, 2007, 03:57:59 AM
Pardon my ignorance but, where is it that you download all these skins for Wondows XP? I wasn't even aware you could do so :-[.

WindowBlinds is a commercial software program you can use to reskin Windows:

http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/

There's a free trial download version to experiment with. You can download skins from:

http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?libid=1&c=1

They have another program you can use to create your own skins.

Spudnot

Here is my desktop:  Mac OSX With custome Theme (Photopro) by Palli Svansson and Custom desktop by me.  Originally I had just the wood but i wanted to create something with pictures of my family.  Nice yes?

SteamPunk Folder! :-D

~spudnot~
~hugs~

The Mechatronist

The picture at the left has resided on my desktop for the past 5 years - before I knew that Steampunk existed.

Gentlemens Handbook

www.myspace.com/xmaddmattx

"It will work..... trust me"

Gentlemens Handbook

Here is the desktop and theme to my Macbook pro.

The desktop

A little work in photoshop

Theme applied to quicktime, safari, and finder.

-GH

SomewhatSavvy

Very nice Mr. Gentlemen's Handbook!!

Mine seems rather dull by comparison:

EDIT: Thought I ought to add what all is included in it. Some art I stole saved off DeviantArt from...someone...I forget who, but I need to look it up and give them proper credit. Bronze Daize WindowBlinds with Forficula Font, Steam Gauge and Borg Clock Yahoo Widgets.  ;D

Gentlemens Handbook

I like your wallpaper, could you post it in the wallpaper thread?

michaelbeeman

Quote from: pixelrunner on September 21, 2007, 01:46:15 PM
This is what I am currently clanging around with.

Mac OS X ,  Programs on the bottom from left to right
finder, safari, mail, Itunes, pages, secret book, iPhoto, iCal, address book, iChat,  then trash

the gear is my HD

The theme is a shapeshifter theme called Nobilis

I am working on making my outer case brass and wood.  More on that as it develops.
Spoiler: ShowHide

Wow. That quite rocks, Pixelrunner! I'm relatively new to both computing and my macbook pro, how can I find out how to change those settings?
"If you can't laugh at yourself, you must not be very funny."

Gentlemens Handbook

Your going to need a program named shapeshifter, i use it on my mac too. There are a couple of good icon programs out there, I use pixidex and candybar.

The Infernal Mr Adams

Very nice SomewhatSavvy, I actually thought that was a self portrait for a sec ;D

Ive updated my desktop bit:

I added a new Start menu:

Theres also the Davis Clock although I rarely use it...

And I also built a new Myspace page which I think is much Steamy-er than my last one:
Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--

Weetobix

Mr Adams,

I rather like your start menu and other additions in the first screenshot - may I as where you got them?

Professor Lidenbrock

Quote from: Weetobix on November 22, 2007, 10:11:18 AM
Mr Adams,

I rather like your start menu and other additions in the first screenshot - may I as where you got them?
As to the start menu check out the thread "Steam windows menu" on this very board. :)
"Through the ruins of a city stalked the ruin of a man."

The Infernal Mr Adams

Quote from: Weetobix on November 22, 2007, 10:11:18 AM
Mr Adams,

I rather like your start menu and other additions in the first screen shot - may I as where you got them?

Of course!

I got the Start menu from this link

The Winamp skin is here

And the desk clock I found on Brass Goggles...but I'm too lazy to look for the exact link....Its a CrabFu creation.
Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--

Arthur S. Rowan

Ok.. Here's my KDE desktop in OpenSUSE; Maybe not as steamy as most desktops in this thread, but maybe it is more like a Victorian desktop :)

http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=victoriandesktopgq1.jpg
"I think Victorian fantasies are going to be the next big thing..."

Gazongola

elShoggotho

In my case, "Style XP" hits the spot, but normally it's as simple as downloading a theme and double-clicking the associated file.

Gazongola

elShoggotho

Your google-fu is weak... just give it "StyleXP". I can't give you anything, my style of google-fu is made of Kruppstahl and only gives German results.

Gazongola

My google-fu is NOT weak. I mean that I am running on XP OS and I want to know how to change the skin on XP, not to XP. Ja?

Gazongola

Just exactly what is Kruppstahl anyway? Is it similar to scheize?

KhaiJBach

Customising XP - the Khai Method

1: Go here and get  Uxtheme MultiPatcher   http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=308905 (it's free, no registration needed. it patches your XP to allow non M$ Xp themes)

2: Go here and choose the Theme you want... http://themes.belchfire.net/index.php?automodule=downloads&showcat=1 All will now work with your XP.

3: Consider a Desktop replacement like Aston or Litestep