News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Steampunk desktop themes: your screenshots

Started by Stefan Freestate, August 17, 2007, 02:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whats your desktop like?

Mac
83 (55.3%)
Linux
67 (44.7%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Gazongola

Prof. Erwin Lindemann

Kruppstahl = steal made by the company Krupp in the town of Essen. A good translation would be "rock solid".

Gazongola

Prof. Erwin Lindemann

Yes, the town of eat, next to jet-castle (Duisburg) and there-mouth (Dortmund). But for us town-names like Nottingham (Nichts-Schinken) or Liverpool (Leberbecken) sounds funny, too.

Gazongola

I would imagine, however, the translations aren't that literal, like the English placenames. For instance, neither Nottingham ir Liverpool have anything to do with Ham or Liver, well at least Nottingham. It was your lot that did it. When you settled on us. Not that I don't like it mind.

Flying_Pirate

thanks for the "Unison Brainstormed"  winamp skin..   ;) so cool, Ill change it right now
I had "bunker" but this one is.. wow  :-*

my desktop

'bunker' winamp skin, blade "style xp" layout, 'leather' firefox persona, and royo background

and brown msn windows..  ^^'

Karl Jatho

Quote from: Gazongola on January 06, 2008, 01:59:50 PMWait, in the town of eat?

I'd rather say in the town of chimneys...  ;)

Esse (die) (pl. = Essen)
n. chimney, pipe that funnels smoke; hearth, forge, smithy, blacksmith's shop

You see, it's actually a very beautiful name for all steampunkers.

Gazongola

Ah. Please forgive my inferior knowledge of the German language...not being directly German myself.

Karl Jatho

That's no problem, nobody is perfect...   ;D
And "Esse" is BTW a very old-fashioned word, probably even many Germans don't know it anymore.

Prof. Erwin Lindemann

But you know that the town Essen is much older and it's old (latin) name was "Astnidum", which means ash-tree?

And I think the English -ham is the same like the German -heim or -em, which simply means "home". In another forum somebody made a list of funny German city-names. There are really a lot of funny names. Some names are only funny in other languages, like the town of "Fucking" (pronounced Foo-king) in Austria.

Gazongola

elShoggotho

Just finished installing Aston... Arcanum-styled complete desktop replacement!
Spoiler: ShowHide

Gazongola

KneeNAR

KhaiJBach

I use Aston all the time.. and not seen that one lol

elShoggotho

You can grab it at http://themes.astonshell.com/564 ...but you have to reintegrate a plugin to get the drive gauge, and I patched in my own background.

Fully extended sidebars, with everything in place and top buttons properly labeled...
Spoiler: ShowHide

Brother William

Quote from: The Infernal Mr Adams on August 17, 2007, 05:23:43 PM
My Google page (of course) ;)
Having just stumbled across this discussion recently, and being unaware of (until now) the igoogle theme option, I trawled through the themes on the igoogle page but was unable to find one called steampunk. I admit that as I approached the end of the 45 pages I was going purely by visual, so it may have been one with no listed image. Sadly the themes don't have anything clever like an alphabetical listing or the ability ro search by name.

Does anyone possibly have a link or a suggestion on how to find this rather fabulous looking theme?

chicar

No screenshot (it seem than even i know how to do it, i am incapable to make screenshot.Is Shift\Insert\Coller in paint, right?) but picture nonetheles.

My wallpaper:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/Pandabonium/bonium/pandatest.gif

My homesite:
http://www.jibjab.com/

My window skin is Window XP Olive Green

All together made a Bioshockish art deco appeareance to my trusty Thermo-Electric Calculator. ;D
The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

heavyporker

I had completely forgot about my igoogle page and I went back to check it out, but alas the theme was gone, so I searched for it. Wow, but for google, their themes page seems to be TERRIBLE!

Anyways, searching for that theme and I stumbled over this - it looks INCREDIBLE!!!

-- http://www.petebeckley.com/steam-igoogle.php

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day

Prof. Rane, MA

Quote from: chicar on March 15, 2008, 09:36:35 PM
i am incapable to make screenshot.Is Shift\Insert\Coller in paint, right?)
I'm afraid what you need is not the "Insert" key, but "Print Screen" ("Impression écran" in your case, I presume). They should not be very far one from the other. Hope it will work better now...
Yours sincerely,

Prof. Rane, MA

chicar

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

amateurhour

elShoggotho, how much system resource does that desktop theme eat? It looks great, but seems like it would be pretty intense on a low end system.

Toji Chiba

Just finished redoing my desktop attire. Made a Wallpaper and connected it with samurize which is, I think, one of the best desktopmodding-programmes you can get for free.
I called it "Nautilus"

the smaller Gauge shows CPU-Usage and makes a little "hooting" noise if 100% is reached. the bigger gauge shows my two HD's and as you can see, C:/ already reached the danger zone.
As for the middle, this is my desktop-clock. The whole wallpaper had to center around the clock for it was there before the wallpaper.

Hope you like it.

btw: Winamp skin is of course the gorgeous "Unison Brainstormed"

regards

Toji

"Well I'll be buggered by a monochrome chipmunk!!!" -CinnamonAndSpite-

Paradave

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong here...

I have the Steampunk iGoogle skin working, but each time I leave iGoogle it resets and I have to turn it on again. I'm using a widget (Custom iGoogle Skins) to load it, and it's the widget I think that is what is turning off each time.

Is there a better way to install the skin?

R.L. Tokyo

While steampunking my desktop, I ran across a decent WMP skin (for those that don't use WinAmp):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/skins.aspx#ae

I think the Constantine skin is a nice fit.