News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Sweden Register of Interest

Started by IvanDrugostrov, August 21, 2007, 07:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvanDrugostrov

After returning home from a successful purchase of leather gloves from a local madman, I was positively surprised to find the patterns in my mail! I thought it would take much long to reach me, or at least that I should be forced to travel to a post office to pick it up.
I am very pleased. Not only are there patterns for a double breasted vest, but also for a cutaway jacket! Thank you ever so much Vienna.
As for all the people who wanted copies of the patterns, I am trying to figure out how it could be done. The sheets are very large and brittle.
Support your local struggling author!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Vienna Fahrmann

Dear Ivan,

If people don't mind waiting until the next pattern sale, I'm willing to send another copy to pass along to each other.

Vienna

Vienna Fahrmann

P.S.  I'm glad the pattern looks useful.  I read a pattern review for it this week and the writer warned that the instructions for the pocket are wrong.  I'll go back and re-read it to see if the pattern has any other minor glitches. 

Vienna

IvanDrugostrov

Do you remember in what way they were wrong, so I can correct it?
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Vienna Fahrmann

Dear Ivan, that's what I'm about to look up.

Vienna

Vienna Fahrmann

Dear Ivan,

I just tried to post and "Safari" ate the post, so I'll do it again, but in shorter posts.  To find the pattern review, go to www.gbacg.org, then to The Great Pattern Review, then to Butterick on the alphabetical list, then scroll down to the pattern number.  It also includes photos of costumers wearing the garments they made from the patterns.

Vienna

Vienna Fahrmann

post, part 2:  Commercial US pattern directions seem to always have a few glitches in them.  In this case, it seems that the directions for putting in the men's coat pocket are incorrect.

Vienna

Vienna Fahrmann

post part 3:

If you want to see what patterns are available in the US, go to the "buying Patterns Online" section of www.gbacg.org.  THe ones called "The Big 3" in the US are Butterick, McCalls, and Simplicity. These are available in mainstream stores and are usually discounted, one brand one week, the next brand the next week.  With Halloween coming up, it is a good time to look for costume patterns in their catalogues.

Vienna

Vienna Fahrmann

post, part 4:

There are some other good, smaller pattern companies, too.  Laughing Moon and Eagles View are 2 of them.  Hope this helps.

Vienna

IvanDrugostrov

OK. I checked it out. They do not offer much explanation either, but I will have the help of an well educated seamstress, so we can probably work around any problems that might arise.
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Warwolt the engineer

Quote from: oskila on September 22, 2007, 03:14:51 PM
Quote from: Warwolt the engineer on September 22, 2007, 09:09:32 AM
Bleh don't let st.sweden sink to the bottom. Up she goes,  ;D
True, tough Stockholm still got Gammla Stan. I quite like Gammla Stan tough it might be that rather victorian its still OLD  ;D

I was in fact mainly referring to the Gothenburg 1960's project of tearing down a lot of 1880-ish houses in favour of ugly pebbled concrete blocks.

argh... again, gothenburgers are stupid  :P (J/K, im stockholmer :3)

Igaus N. Wierzba

Well another lil' swede here! *waves*

As for a con meet up it would be indeed a grand idea. Only problem is that most cons in sweden are either:

A) Gaming con. Our kind would probally blend in nice with some boardgames and RPers.
or
B) Anime/Manga con. Again, cosplayers looks so much worse so no one would barley notice some well dressed gents and ladies.

Not that I do care that much of the whole blend in thing, just random thoughts.

As for getting things togheter in Gothenburg, I would happily let some take their nightly rest at my place as I have a fairly large apartment.
Only problem is my flatmates but they should prove no trouble convincing, as I am the one on the contract for this apartment :D

But I am fairly sure this will be debated over and over again.

As for copying the english tread, I really like their map!
It gives you a good idea of from where everyone are.

P.S. Tickets over to England from Gothenburg is mad cheap actually. Cost no more then going to Stockholm really. But this is almost only for the people living in Gothenburg I guess. But wouldn't it be nice to draw everyone from Sweden over to our english bretherns and take a few pints. Plans plans ~

Vienna Fahrmann

Dear Ivan,

Good luck with the sewing and please post a picture when you're finished.

vienna

IvanDrugostrov

I will name it after you, when I'm finished. Provided it lives up to the name.
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

oskila

Quote from: Warwolt the engineer on September 26, 2007, 12:39:42 PM
True, tough Stockholm still got Gammla Stan. I quite like Gammla Stan tough it might be that rather victorian its still OLD  ;D

I was in fact mainly referring to the Gothenburg 1960's project of tearing down a lot of 1880-ish houses in favour of ugly pebbled concrete blocks.

Well, stockholm got it's fair share of wreckage too :) http://www.graphy.se/exhibits/Sth50tal/StockholmNorrmalm.html
Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)

Russandol

Quote from: oskila on September 26, 2007, 07:55:30 PM
Quote from: Warwolt the engineer on September 26, 2007, 12:39:42 PM

Well, stockholm got it's fair share of wreckage too :) http://www.graphy.se/exhibits/Sth50tal/StockholmNorrmalm.html

I think that has happened about everywhere in Sweden... did just the same even in my tiny hometown of Filipstad some 30-40 years ago...

Oh, well... at least we still have this mausoleum left.. along with a bunch of mines and what-not around, it makes Filipstad reasonably Steampunk :P (photo taken on Halloween btw)

Dr_Lew_Addle

Quote from: IvanDrugostrov on September 25, 2007, 02:08:56 PM
As for all the people who wanted copies of the patterns, I am trying to figure out how it could be done. The sheets are very large and brittle.

There are severalmethods the easiets one is to use butcherspaper or Silkpaper(silkespapper) which your friend who is a seamstress might have on rolls. I atleast is willing to pay for the patterns so compensation to your friend shouldnt be impossible.

IvanDrugostrov

I'll see what I can do. I have my hands kinda full right now. November will be better.
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Dr_Lew_Addle

Vienna Fahrmann

Dear Dr. Lew,

I'm willing to mail another if that is easier.  Postage from the US was minimal and I get the patterns on sale. 

Vienna

oskila

Quote from: IvanDrugostrov on September 25, 2007, 02:08:56 PM
After returning home from a successful purchase of leather gloves from a local madman, I was positively surprised to find the patterns in my mail! I thought it would take much long to reach me, or at least that I should be forced to travel to a post office to pick it up.
I am very pleased. Not only are there patterns for a double breasted vest, but also for a cutaway jacket! Thank you ever so much Vienna.

I and a roll of paper could meet with you sometime in november (I can't do it earlier either, since I just got my contract extended from two days to four weeks:)) and trace your pattern sheets. The copy could then be cut into A4 pieces and photocopied.
Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)

IvanDrugostrov

Sure. It could be done. Then I could stealthily and cleverly shift resposibility for the distribution of the patterns in Sweden over on you. He he heee...
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Gilbert

Fellow Swedes, I just wanted to stop by and make you aware of my presence here as well. If anyone wonders, I hail from our grand capital Stockholm. I am very delighted to see that there are other people from the North here.

Warwolt the engineer

Nice with some more stockholmers to the forum :)

Dr_Lew_Addle

Quote from: Vienna Fahrmann on September 27, 2007, 03:49:17 PM

Dear Dr. Lew,

I'm willing to mail another if that is easier.  Postage from the US was minimal and I get the patterns on sale. 

Vienna

Sorry About my absence but i had a relapse into my depression.

Vienna that would be lovely! I would like that very much.