News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Sweden Register of Interest

Started by IvanDrugostrov, August 21, 2007, 07:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Brasswood

Quote from: Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD on February 22, 2008, 02:52:29 PM
i think it's close enough for me. I'm not actually going to attempt to read the book, I was just curious. Your chapter titles line up with the plates and illustration inside.

Well, you should read it! It sounds interesting :P
"Steam punk is like a top hat: You can watch it from different angles and enjoy different things about it, and there are no single hat that fits everyones head."
- vonB

Atterton

The translations seems good enough for me. Though I wasn´t able to figure out the Rig Veda thing like you were. When is the book from?
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD

1878. I picked it up at an auction for like 10 bucks. The pics and illustrations were more than enough for me. That and the binding. I love the ribbed bindings.
"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."

von Brasswood

"The Rigveda (Sanskrit ऋग्वेद ṛgveda, a compound of ṛc "praise, verse"[1] and veda "knowledge") is an ancient Indian sacred collection of Vedic Sanskrit hymns dedicated to the gods (devas). It is counted among the four canonical sacred texts (śruti) of Hinduism known as the Vedas,[2] and is revered by Hindus around the world. Its verses are recited at prayers, religious functions and other auspicious occasions, putting it among the world's oldest religious texts in continued use.

It is also one of the oldest texts of any Indo-European language. Philological and linguistic evidence indicate that the Rigveda was composed in the Sapta Sindhu (a land of seven great rivers), which is the region around present-day Punjab, roughly between 1700–1100 BCE (the early Vedic period). There are strong linguistic and cultural similarities with the early Iranian Avesta, deriving from the Proto-Indo-Iranian times, often associated with the early Andronovo culture of ca. 2000 BCE."

Rigveda/Rig Veda@Wiki
"Steam punk is like a top hat: You can watch it from different angles and enjoy different things about it, and there are no single hat that fits everyones head."
- vonB

Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD

Sadly, volume I have only goes through chapter 20 (" 20: Photographies/Pictures of pasts flora/fauna, by Dr. A. Nathorst). The illustrations in the Egypt sections are the ones that sold me on it. Drawings of the Sphinx and an ancient city w. Obelisk etc. plus printed hieroglyphs. It's quite the intresting find for Atlanta, Georgia, US. I first thought It was some sort of Embalming/ mummification book from the first chapter on blood and the circulatory system (lots of pictures of veins, hearts, and whole systems), then the egypt chapters, but the plant stuff at the end kind of ruined that idea and I've been at a loss until now. Thanks Again.
"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."

Igaus N. Wierzba

On behalf of the Swedish Top Offical Post-translator, STOP!, I give you full rights to both brag and translate Swedish von Brasswood.
;D
Very intresting book you got there.

von Brasswood

Haha, mycket bra! Takk skal ni ha, grabben! ;)
- vonB

Rica March

Reviving this thread on request and to say hello! Brand new Steampunk here, eager to indulge in whatever knowledge my fellow Swedes have about Places To Go.

oskila

Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)

August_Cobb

now I'm going to wright something here again  :)

in which cities does every swede on this forum lives?
what cannot be done, i shall do! in the name of science

IvanDrugostrov

Göteborg. Or Gothenburg, for greater steaminess.
Support your local struggling author!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Hieronimous Stonebender

Just saw this thread. Part Swede, part Dane. Born in Sweden, living in Denmark, fluent in both languages. I reside in Copenhagen(the capitol). København(got to use those odd letters)

IvanDrugostrov

Oh, BTW boyos. One of you should probably get this.
http://www.blocket.se/vi/15761473.htm?ca=15_s&last=1
Posted on April 1st. But worth checking out.
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Mr. Svensson

Mr. Svensson at your service. Steampunker since the late 90's (I didn't know the word back then, though), lives in Lysekil. Hobbies include collecting junk and drawing, mostly designing stuff for my steampunk project that I call Podsol. Most prized possession is an Odhner calculation device that I saved from getting scrapped. It's barelly broken, too!

Hieronimous Stonebender

Quote from: IvanDrugostrov on May 21, 2008, 04:21:11 PM
Oh, BTW boyos. One of you should probably get this.
http://www.blocket.se/vi/15761473.htm?ca=15_s&last=1
Posted on April 1st. But worth checking out.

I would really like to own that... Alas my meager income does not allow for such extravagance... I will settle for a velocipede

IvanDrugostrov

Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Atterton

I just wanted to make people aware that the Cinema Speglen is having two showings of Metropolis with accompanying live music. For one of them there will be a party after/during, I'm not sure exactly. The party has a vintage/retrofuturist theme.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Orvarskeleton

Hello all Swedes!:) There's much more Steampunk activities happening in Sweden lately, which is great.

I'd very much recommend you to join the fb-group "Steampunk i Göteborg", if you have facebook. It's the biggest Swedish steampunk group online.

The local non-profit group that runs it, Steampunk Götheborg, is also hosting a new convention this year, the 4-6th of November. Guest artist is Professor Elemental, and there'll be a bazaar, workshops, ball and much more.
http://steamcon.se/

Also steampunk groups in Skåne like Steampunk NVS are starting to put up events and craft nights. Let's hope this trend continues!

Hälsningar från Gôtet!;)
/Hanna Ågren, vice ordförande Steampunk Götheborg

Orvarskeleton

Här är en artikel som GP skrev om vår fest inne i Berg211, som vi kör minst en gång om året (nästa ser ut att komma 14:e januari 2017).

http://www.gp.se/nyheter/goteborg/1.2621421-steampunk-anga-pa-modet