News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Introduce yourself!

Started by Nikandedd, March 05, 2007, 05:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkergirl

Welcome to the forum!  I'm sure you'll find a few people here share your interest in robotics too.

little-spoon

Quote from: dman762000 on July 27, 2007, 06:08:24 AM
Era, Miss Spoon, it is a sincere pleasure to have ladies of such beauty and grace to join our ranks. I hope you find your time here pleasurable, and also that your charming sense of style spreads through-out this great land of ours. (The almighty cog knows that more ladies in my general area need to take some lessons from such attractive ladies as yourselves)

It is Missus,  actually (though that does make me sound far older than I feel), but since my habiliments are meant to make one look as if they are a small victorian child, the mistake is certainly understandable.  I'm rather excited to begin my new venture of combining my two favorite times that never were.  Hopefully I will be able to produce some respectable steampunk lolita/EGA outfits and acessories to share will all my new associates here.

Doctor When

Welcome, Era.

*doffs hat*

Quote from: Enli on July 27, 2007, 04:50:35 AMFRUiTS ... KERA

I'm afraid you'll need to explain those to me, my dear.
Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!

Outa_Spaceman

Welcome Era...
(stretch to kiss young lady's hand, over balance, trip on carpet, stubble headlong into the fire grate setting fire to hair oil, pick myself up, excuse myself, bow, lock myself in my study, take out trusty service revolver with intention of "doing the decent thing" but shoot myself in the foot then join the Legion.)  :)

The Little Legionnaire

Quote from: Outa_Spaceman on July 27, 2007, 05:15:37 PM
Welcome Era...
(stretch to kiss young lady's hand, over balance, trip on carpet, stubble headlong into the fire grate setting fire to hair oil, pick myself up, excuse myself, bow, lock myself in my study, take out trusty service revolver with intention of "doing the decent thing" but shoot myself in the foot then join the Legion.)  :)

Would you take offence if I used that plot for an animation?  Made me genuinely laugh reading that :p
"You know what they say, a Romantic is someone who spends their life looking for a good way to die."

JoshuaMarsh

Hello; I'll come back later when I think of something extraordinarilly witty to add.
Regards,

Joshua Marsh

Era

Ms. Spoon, my apologies for misleading everyone with a misplaced honorific title. I do hope you will accept my most sincerest apology for my mistype.

My good Doctor When, FRUiTS and KERA are two street fashions taken from Japan. (They are also the names of two Japanese magazines which feature photographs and other details regarding the fashions.) It is a little difficult for me to explain them without rambling on far longer than I should, but a good google image search provides adequate results, I've found.

Dearest Mr. Spaceman, please do not trouble yourself over my humble account! *curtseys, bowing her head low* Do please gather your will together and join me for tea and conversation; your company is a pleasure that would surely add warmth to this room.

Mr. Marsh, as my great hero Voltaire once said, "A witty saying proves nothing." Do not be silenced and deny yourself the satisfaction of voice for simple lack of a pretty paint with which to coat your tongue. Do please stand and let your company be known!

Sincerely,
Era
--------------------
Lady Era Wakely
Historian. Scholar. Polymath.

JoshuaMarsh

Quote from: Era on July 27, 2007, 10:16:16 PM
Mr. Marsh, as my great hero Voltaire once said, "A witty saying proves nothing." Do not be silenced and deny yourself the satisfaction of voice for simple lack of a pretty paint with which to coat your tongue. Do please stand and let your company be known!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence."

Although I will stand and raise a glass whilst doing so.
Regards,

Joshua Marsh

Era

Touche, my friend, and well quoted. Xenocrates was a brilliant mind.

Here's one for you that I would argue describes me perfectly: "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Sincerely, Era
--------------------
Lady Era Wakely
Historian. Scholar. Polymath.

Sir Theodore Catchpole

Outa_Spaceman

Quote from: The Little Legionnaire on July 27, 2007, 06:05:33 PM
Quote from: Outa_Spaceman on July 27, 2007, 05:15:37 PM
Welcome Era...

Would you take offence if I used that plot for an animation?  Made me genuinely laugh reading that :p
Be my guest...

Lord Vespertine

My lords, ladies and gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I introduce myself to you all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

My name is Olly, but I refer to myself as Lord Vespertine, because that's considerably more interesting as a sobriquet. Forgive me, my dears, if this introduction is maddeningly inelegant, but, alas, first impressions are not my forte.

I hail from the heart of the Empire, Her Majesty's England, where people adore eccentrics (but don't want them living next door) and where it rains so hard it makes your head bleed. I have been very interested in the Victorian era for as long as I can remember and, because of my affection for uchronism, anachronism and numerous other big words ending in 'chronism', steampunk fascinates me.

I learnt of your fine website on the 20th July this year, when myself and my better half were in Camden Town, queuing up to meet that vivacious violin-vixen, Emilie Autumn, at her signing in Cyberdog. One of your number, (sadly, I cannot say who exactly) asked if he could take our photograph, declaring that we were 'so steampunk'. I must confess, I was rather flattered by this declaration. He told me about the website and provided me with a link and so, you see me here before you.  ;)

I've been flitting about, observing and watching, but have only just plucked up the courage to take the plunge and introduce myself as a member of your community. Please be nice to me...  :-[

Alderman Simeon

My greetings to you, my lord. Help yourself to a glass of port.
Contents under pressure.
Leyden jars not included.
May contain nuts and bolts.

mjolinr

Tis a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I too am new to this forum. Unlike yourself,I am new to "steam punk" in general. Your photos are quit lovely and your post are very interesting to read.Welcome aboard.

(It seems unseen forces are aligning in our favor)
YIKES, and away.

Enli

Does anyone else like the idea of an introductory thread?

Of course I personally don't mind the separate introductory posts, but I end up missing some of them. I've been on boards before where we kept an introductory thread, and it was great because you could simply check the thread and see everyone who had recently joined- with plenty of Welcomes thrown in.  ;D
Quote from: Mister Greyshade on November 28, 2007, 06:13:24 AM
STEAMPUNK: THE NEW CULT OF DRUGS DEBAUCHARY AND DEATH

Maximum Humphries

That sounds like a good idea, i support it heartly. Also, some way to seeif other members live in your city might be nice, the problem is that being a steampunk is such a singular affair most of the time...
"Ever forward, my darling wind..."

Doctor When

Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!

anjin

it sounds a good idea, but do you think tht everybody already post an introduction will post anoher one? mmhhh... Anyway I like it.
--
Anjin
"un marinaio non prega per il tempo buono... impara
a navigare"
www.anjinart.com
http://anjinart.blogspot.com

Alderman Simeon

Quote from: Enli on August 01, 2007, 10:30:54 AM
Does anyone else like the idea of an introductory thread?

A sound notion. Despite having been around for a few weeks, I realise that I have yet to announce myself, so:

I am Alderman Simeon, but I also answer to Ian, largely because it's my name. I am 52. I live in Darlington, in north-east England, close to the world's first passenger railway station (now a museum). The rather fine-looking gentleman in my head-shot is my great grandfather, pictured in 1926 when he was mayor of this town, having been an alderman for some years previously, and, yes, his name was Simeon.

I am married with five cats, I work in IT as an MI analyst, I collect guitars (actually, accumulate would be a better word), I mainly listen to prog rock, and I have a deep-seated love of the county of Cornwall which we visit twice a year. Very few people have died as a direct result of my cooking, and some have even asked for more. No-one has ever complimented me on my fashion sense for the very good reason that I don't have any. The names and faces of many apparently famous people are wholly unknown to me. I have been to the cinema less than twenty times in my life. I have no idea what a GURP is. I have never read a super-hero comic. I cannot understand why anyone watches Big Brother. Real ale is very good, (British) lager and keg beer is swill. I have no interest in any sport which does not involve engines, and the only one that I follow is Formula One motor racing.

For the record, my religious position is one of ardent atheism, and my political position is one of ardent libertarianism. Within this forum, I will neither defend them nor attack any other.
Contents under pressure.
Leyden jars not included.
May contain nuts and bolts.

S.Sprocket

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah

Dr Cepalopoda

Anachronist

A smashing idea!

Regards,
Alexander:
Tobacconist in an 1870's reconstruction shop, costume geek, moped collector, pocketwatch dabbler and writer. I don't have any cats, and I'm also an ardent Atheist and man of science.
The first sign of the beginning of understanding is a wish to die.

Enli

Well, I'm one of those who enjoy reading about my boardmates. I check the "post your picture" thread often. :) I like hearing about a person's life and interests, and we definitely have a fascinating bunch of people here. 

I noticed that quite a few new members were saying things like "I didn't see a place to post this, so here's my introduction," so I thought others might have known introductory posts on other boards as well.
Quote from: Mister Greyshade on November 28, 2007, 06:13:24 AM
STEAMPUNK: THE NEW CULT OF DRUGS DEBAUCHARY AND DEATH

Yuri

Its a fine idea, En.  No one had to participate if they don't wish too.

I'm a single father of two.  I spent my youth, in the manner of a rifle spending cartridges, flying in thirty year old helicopters as a rescue swimmer. A google search on "Gordon + Seasnake" will take anyone interested to my travel stories and about 60 photos of my flights. I traveled to six continents in the service of my country but wouldn't carry a cup of water across the room for our current president.  I love SP, but am truly lousy at building things.  My son and I still try.  The love of my life is my daughter and son, and a Beck 550 Spyder.  I am comfortable and spend my retirement days working on biplane fighters, x-craft, and swimming in the Pacific.  I wish that everyone had as much happiness as I have been given.  Back to you, E.

v/r Yuri

Where you start doesn't determine how far you will go - the people who believe they can, and the people who believe they cannot, are both right.

Marcus Bell Of Ulm

I agree E., It is nice to know everyone on a level more than a profile photograph, perhaps we could petition the admins. to add a space on the sidebar or a link under people's names to a brief bio? I don't think I properly introduced myself way back, which nags me, but anyhoo... I am a discontented youth living in a old town with a ratio of churches to people far higher than should be allowed (If you get my drift...). I love all/most music and play bass, as well as collecting, fixing and modifying guitars. I am the only person in my school who has ever worn a tie to school without being required to, and often recieve questions about how I get my hair to get that "just shocked look." I am involved in technical theatre, and am addicted to caffeine. I am terrified of chihuahuas and of being rejected, and am ecstatic to be on the forum with intelligent, mannered people.
Nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool.