News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Introduce yourself!

Started by Nikandedd, March 05, 2007, 05:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkergirl

Welcome indeed!  I do hope you'll find the forum to your liking.

macmangan

Hello to everyone, I'm a newbie here and I just wanted see what this place is all about. 

I'm a huge fan of steampunk, although until recent I had no idea this style had a name and actual communities for people to express themselves.  I've been going through this site for a few days now, and I almost couldn't stop for sleep because every new page was incredible.  Discovering the forum on top of that.  I had to stop because it's going to take a while to go through it all, and it seems I have to do that.  Lord knows what might be missed otherwise.  Enough of the gawking for now.

I guess I'll introduce myself.  My name is Mike Mangan, and I use to build all sorts of gadgets and what nots.  Most of my family were builders of some sorts, electrician, carpenters, welders and all that.  I was lucky enough (not knowing that at the time) to work many summers with all of them.  For a while I used all of that knowledge in theatre.  Now I'm 3d artist and vide editor.  The 3d let me build things on a larger scale quickly.  I've been doing those for a while.  Now after discovering this site, I can't wait to start building again. 

Here are a few fun 3d images I started a bit ago in the steampunk look.  I do apologize if I put these up here wrong.  Not much in the knowledge of forum how to's.  I wish I knew how to make them small, and if you click on them they show full size.  Anyway, here you go.

Elwood

Very creative stuff! Welcome macmangan, good to have you with us!
I think Alan Alda put it best when he said,
"If I can't get the girl, at least give me more money."

Emperor

Welcome. I really like what you've done their - stylish and workable but also fun. A difficult combination that you've pulled off nicely.

Show us more!! ;)
Emps

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Steampunk Collective thread

macmangan

Thanks guys, can't wait to do more with them and later start building some ones.  The site is very inspirational, and has given me many ideas. 

Thanks a ton

Off to work, put it off way to long.   ;)

Tinkergirl

Very nice indeed!  Forgive me for asking, but are those 3d renders?  I realise I really ought to be able to tell, but you know how rendering and photography are these days - each one striving to look more like the other.  *chuckles*  Either way, beautiful stuff and I'm impressed whether it's wood or vertices that you're wielding.  Welcome indeed.

macmangan

Wow, thats very nice of you to say and they are indeed 3d renderings.   I'm trying to workout the design for the inside of the computer.  Luckily I have so many more ideas after absorbing as much as I can on the site.  I wish I had more time to create, but work tends to get in the way.   However after being inspired I should have some updates. 

Its nice to see so many possitive attitudes here.   :)

Jake of All Trades

WOW!!!  Welcome, and may I emphasize nice work!  I like the battle-wagon--it has a very realistic "standard issue" look to it.  Most Steampunk military vehicles (mine included) look too shiny and ornate to be anything other than a one-of-a-kind creation commissioned by a rich warlord.  I love that look, but yours has a refreshing "foot soldier" feel about it that makes you think, for a second, "wait, is that real?"  Ha, I'm half-expecting someone to pop up and say their great grandfather operated on in the battle of Antietam...

The PC computer case is very flash too.  I'd say its more 1930s than most Steampunk, but hey--we're open-minded here!  Oh, and you may be seeing something from me fairly similar to your speakers in the near future.  I swear I had it all planned out before I saw yours!  ;D

I agree with the fair Tinkergirl about the visual quality of the renders.  If "3d render" hadn't caught my eye, I don't think I would have known either!  What app do you use?  Stunningly lifelike!
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

macmangan

Thanks, I'm glad you liked them.  Yeah, the wagon I wanted to keep simple and not to detailed because I was initially going to animate it and have lots of them.  However, a bit to amitious, in a hugely to ambitous sort of way. 

When I started with the computer I really didn't have a specific direction, just wanted old looking with hightech use.  After coming here, I have had a bunch of ideas to tweak it and finish it off with a more steamopunk feel.  Nothing wrong with the original direction, but I can't wait head in the new one.  Plus with 3d its easy to make changes. 

I have no doubt you had your idea before you saw mine, and I can't wait to see your speakers.  I was pulling the design from my soundstick speakers on my desk. 

You guys are way to kind with the 3d realism.  Definitely needs some lighting and texture work.  The software I use is Cinema 4D.  Its my absolute fav, because its about as user friendly and high quality as any 3d app around.  Also if you guys ever need any of your ideas built in 3d just let me know.  However, the real world is far cooler. 

HAC

Wow.. REALLY nice stuff.. puts my humble 3d attempts to shame..
Cheers
Harold
You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.

Gearworks

I am astounded and delighted to make your acquaintance.
There is a place for us out there, we need only pick the spot.  Rise up out of mediocrity and let us bring about our own Golden Age.

macmangan

Hey guys nice to meet you and glad to be hear, and I'm sure your 3d work is fine.  I just put in a lot of time for trial anb error.

rollerboi

Nice work. I'm suitably impressed. Hats off to you, sir... and welcome. :)
"Release the penguins."

wandering_nomad

I really can't add much to what's already said, but these renders are of such a high quality that they fooled me into thinking that these were real items. Something that very few people outside of the professional movie arena can do nowadays. I absolutely love the computer, I'd be proud to have something like that sitting on my desk.
My blog, The Llama's Lair

Jake of All Trades

The computer is so nice, in fact, that I'm perfectly willing to look past that Devilish Emblem on the side ;)
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

macmangan

I was thinking about later building a 3d airship, would be a blast.  Have to finish this sucker first though.

Hehe!  Yeah, the old evil symbol.   ;)   I may be a mac guy, but I have a PC as well.  I say use what you got.   ;D

The Professor

I heartily agree, the images are splendid. It would be wonderful to see them as real machines apart from that rather dodgy logo  ;) ). Keep up the good work, I love to see the work of people who's imaginations are less fettered than my own.
Life is usually a self made maze, whose walls are fear and prejudice.

Jake of All Trades

Found here, via.

What would I possibly think of when seeing that besides your computing machine?
--Tinkergirl

macmangan

Professor, I doubt your imagination is as fettered as you think.  I use to think the same thing and would stop before I even started.  Now I just do it and see what happens, manny times not so hot, but those are the ones that never make it past paper and never show the world.   ;)

Mr. Trades, love that old logo.  Might have to switch it out with the other one.

I should get some time in the next few weeks to start adding to it, when I do should I put it in the Tactile area? 

The Professor

Thank you for your kind words. Perhaps it is time to crank up my brain (just like the old petrol engines ;D). I mentioned in one of the other forums the idea of a goggle badge as a way that people could recognise other members, the image sits on the edge of my mind as something to do when I have some spare time. However, still nothing to compare to our brilliant images.

Flying_Pirate

damn..
love the car with the cannon ><

nice 3d render..  ;D

Rosalind Fairchild

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to put this in, but if I've put it in the wrong place, feel free to move it to where it is supposed to be.

I wanted to give an introduction before I jump into the waters and start posting, lest people be going "who the hell are you?" at me. So, without further adieu, I shall introduce myself. The name's Julia, but I'm known by many other names, including Bludwyn, Thorne, Gracie, and Rosalind. I'm 15 years old, and I live in the lovely little town where Mary Sawyer (from Mary Had a Little Lamb) grew up. I'm also a somewhat distant relative of Lizzie Borden, on my father's side.

I've always been fascinated with Victorian things since I was very young, and about a year and a half ago stumbled upon steampunk. I wikipedia'd it after being told A Series of Unfortunate Events was of the genre. (My mother and I have loved the series since it came out, and have diligently read it. She's still finishing up the last book, and it's torture not being able to discuss the ending with her).

I found the Brass Goggles blog a few days ago, and read through most of the archives. Going through the links on the side eventually brought me to here, and I've been browsing about for a few hours, and I decided to join. I hope to become a good part of this community, and get good tips for what I've been seeking.

So, here's to more wonderful adventures and happy inventing!

The Professor

Welcome to the community.  :)

I think most people follow something of the same route here these days.

Happy reading, adventuring and inventing!

Gearworks

Welcome to the boards!  In commemoration I present you with this as a token of good will and friendship:

There is a place for us out there, we need only pick the spot.  Rise up out of mediocrity and let us bring about our own Golden Age.

Tristian Dreyman

Welcome to the forums! Hope you have fun getting to know us all and perusing the boards. :)
"What's that?"
"Hmm? Oh a mechanical lobster."
"Why?"
"Why not?"