News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Introduce yourself!

Started by Nikandedd, March 05, 2007, 05:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilithgow

"I am a wordsmith. I take the words available to me and shovel them into the furnace of literature."

Alderman Simeon

Contents under pressure.
Leyden jars not included.
May contain nuts and bolts.

Sydney Granger

Greetings fine Ladies and Gentlemen,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you all for keeping this board stocked with so much information on such an interesting bit of the human condition.

Secondly, I'm going to start my introduction by saying that I'm not a hardcore steampunk. I'm here to learn and communicate, and I do plan on getting together a steampunk outfit. I love the victorianification of modern machines, and I find the machines of the past indescribably beautiful. This being said, I don't think you'll find me very adept at all of this steampunk-ish-ness. I apologize for my wannabe lack of knowledge, and any stupid questions I may present. Summarily, I'm new at this, don't hate the newbie.

Thirdly, the actual introduction. My real name's not Sydney Granger, this is my username, and I'd appreciate it if you just referred to me as thus. It's simply my steampunk persona. The rest of this will be factual. I live in the small rural county of Pike, state of Indiana, country of the United States of America. I've been costuming since I was about 7 when my parents shelled out a whole bunch of money to get me set up with a historically accurate set of clothes from the French and Indian War period. I'm still semi-active with that. In addition I'm a Jedi costumer, and a member of The Jedi Assembly, again, semi-active. My most recent costume is in the superhero genre. I have put together a golden age Sandman (DC comics Sandman, mind you) costume with slightly more muted colors to fit in with the dream/sleep/shadows theme. I've been somewhat obsessed with Steampunk for about 3 months now, owing to the fact that I was going to build a cyberpunk costume for a con that I shall be attending this weekend, and happened onto a footnote somewhere about steampunk. I instantly fell in love with the aesthetic of it all. I plan to portray a character that is mainly a tinkerer, not so much a mad scientist but a builder of things, that fights against a tyrannical imperial government.

So there you have it, my introduction. Thank you for reading, and here's hoping to speaking to all of you again.
Just a steampunk wannabe...

Andy_W

Alderman Simeon

Greetings, Mr Granger.
Contents under pressure.

The Professor

Like my fellows on the board I offer you a warm welcome. I hope you enjoy it and exploring its nooks and crannies. Have fun!
Life is usually a self made maze, whose walls are fear and prejudice.

Alric Lantra

Hello folks, the name's Alric (not really, but it will suffice here).  I've recently rediscovered the wondrous world of steampunk, and with my mind set on immersing myself as deeply as possible- joining this forum seemed to be the best first step toward that goal.

Now for a little background.  I say I've rediscovered steampunk because I've always loved things involving high technology in pre-modern settings, the Victorian era in particular because of the clothing styles.  Having to cut my college career short and being thrust unceremoniously into the workaday world, and embroiling myself in a nasty MMORPG addiction, I had nearly forgotten almost everything else in my life.  But things are looking up, and as I've found myself pulling away from my addiction, my love of all things brass and steam-powered has come roaring back.  I became more enamored with the steampunk concept when I started reading up on exactly what it is outside the realms of literature and television. 

Victorian style clothes- My usual policy on clothes is the further from "formal" the better, but I gladly make an exception for Victorian garb.
DIY mentality- Something I've been wanting to do for the longest time.  I've got precious little creative talent, but an overflowing desire to create, so If I can find an outlet in this, all the better.
Goggles- 'nuff said.

...That's about it for now, I believe.  I look foreward to getting to know you all better soon!

Alderman Simeon

Contents under pressure.

The Professor

A hearty welcome from my good self too.

Jasper Vernell

Greetings, Greetingxs to you all...

Allow my to introduce myself. My name is Jasper Vernell (Jason), and i hail from the most Victorian of places - Victoria, Australia ;D
I have wandered the hallowed halls of this here forum, and thought it was about time to introduce myself officially to the council.
Steampunk has been a great influence of my life, both professional and personal. I met my wife through our love for the genre, and i work in the engineering industry, again followed through by my love for all things Victorian.

I am currently planning a few projects which i shall document here, i would also like to converse with all fellow council members as to which direction to take.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

High Regards,
Jasper...

P.S. Are any of you from vic-aust?? if so, do you know of any meets??

Alderman Simeon

Good afternoon to you, good sir; or, as I believe one is wont to say in the southern colonies, G'day!
Contents under pressure.

Demosthenes

Welcome!  I would love to see your projects.  There are quite a few Australian members on this board if I remember correctly. ..Anyways, Welcome! 
"I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House — with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."
"Kerplach" = "Guv'nah!"

A. Heron

I anticipate great things from you, one of the most amazing things about this community is how we are getting such skilled and dedicated people to this forum, all in one place. Welcome!
Man is a microcosm, or a little world, because he is an extract from all the stars and planets of the whole firmament, from the earth and the elements; and so he is their quintessence.
Paracelsus

Jasper Vernell

Many thanks my good friends, it has indeed been a while since i have felt so warm a welcome on a forum.

Im certain i will do my best to dissolve into the fabric of this community.

Regards,
Jasper...

The Professor

Welcome aboard sir and may you enjoy your journey with us.

I look forward to seeing these projects that you mention unfold.

groove-master101

Good day fellow steampunkists,

Just thought good ol' Brittania should know that we're doing alright for ourselves down under. I'm brand new to this forum, as well as the term "steampunk". And let me just say that it is all rather corking, and I am excited to have discovered like-minded people.

Can't wait to explore this board further, Tally Ho!      -_Q    ;D

Col. Adrianna Hazard

Welcome to the forum, groove-master101. Glad to have you here!

The Professor

Welcome aboard, hope you have a fun time here.

Shard

You know, a clockwork kangaroo could work...

Outa_Spaceman

Or a steam wombat perhaps...

kiskolou

Ah, we have one australian here already, the glorious miss Morriganslade! You two could team up, in "The last of the steam-interceptors".
"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!

Outa_Spaceman

FYI
I'd just like to point out that the name of the beat combo I'm in is The Interceptors..

Vincent Théière

Quote from: kiskolou on July 17, 2007, 09:26:20 PM
Ah, we have one australian here already, the glorious miss Morriganslade! You two could team up, in "The last of the steam-interceptors".
There's a few of us here, we just don't shout it as loud.

Aik

This talk of clockwork kangaroos makes me think of those rusted-looking metal kangaroo statue-thingies in Brisbane (on George Street, I think). Must go and have another look at them and report back on their potential to be turned into steampunk kangaroos of doom...

Shard

I look forward to your report on metal kangaroos. I know of a fellow with a particularly large spring we might be able to use.