News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The Log of the HMAS Marigold OOC Thread

Started by MWBailey, December 06, 2011, 10:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWBailey

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I'd like to remind folks that we're in the Marigold's wardroom, and the ship is wearing out propeller covers getting to the last known coordinates of Treadstone's flagship the Nirgalian Dagger. I think we can safely assume that the ship is on autopilot, allowing its pilot to be in the wardroom with us, but in a little while, she'll begin to contact the outer layers of the biblically-huge storm that surrounds the Dagger, and the turbulence and lightning, etc. that accompany the storm -- but not until after Rourke gives teh skinny about the mission ;)
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Evelyn Adler

Sorry about my very short introduction, but I had ten minutes before a friend came to give me a lift to the train station.
Right now it's six in the morning, I'm on the train to Brussels, I haven't slept all night, I'll be travelling another few hours (without internet then) and I probably won't be able to write something in the thread until this evening (provided I'll still be able to think in complete sentences)... which is late at night, for the guys in other time zones.
So if you don't want to wait any longer, just go ahead!
It will get better. I promise, I won't move again soon!  ;D
Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)

Evelyn Adler

Quote from: MWBailey on December 10, 2011, 01:29:26 AM
Mary's rank: I was thinking probably first lieutenant. Uh-oh, did I forget it? Sorry, I'll rectify that.

I looked the ranks up on Wikipedia, I think lieutenant (without the 1st) is fine.
Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)

MWBailey

Whew! just got in from that outdoor dulcimer society performance. I'm cold, tired, and sick of egg-nogg (which is unusual for me), so I'll try to have the rest of Rourke's skinny up in the AM. provided the proverbial dog whose hair I'll be craving doesn't gnaw my legs off ;).

MWBailey

The skinny (so to speak) is up. Questions? Comments?

Private Weasel

Sorry chaps,  Internet issues this weekend... I'm catching up as quick as I can :D

The Corsair

Well, that's the bulk of my character's personality established. Hopefully I'll finally write a character that doesn't begin to suffer from depression at some point...
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Evelyn Adler

Mary knows her way around firearms - I do not. Can someone please recommend one or two mean shotguns for her to pick up from the Bosun?
Thanks!

walkthebassline

You might inquire if they have one of Winchester's new lever-action shotguns (They were introduced in 1887, so its close) otherwise you'd most likely be limited to any number of double-barrel shotguns. There are different manufacturers but they're basically the same. A coach gun would be a shotgun with shorter barrels, useful for maneuvering in tight spaces.

A 12 gauge (that's 12 bore in the UK) is the standard size these days, but larger bores were more common in years gone by. Numbers go down in pairs as the bore gets larger (12 is smaller than 10, which is smaller than 8, and so on.) A 4 bore is essentially an elephant gun. For fighting other people a 10 or 12 is plenty, and a 16 or 20 is fully adequate. Smaller bores such as 20 or 28 are also typically considered women's guns, but not exclusively so.

Hope that helps.

(FYI, an easy way to understand the bore sizes is that they are a certain fraction of a pound. I.e., a lead ball the size of a 12 gauge barrel weighs 1/12th of a pound. A lead ball the size of a 4 gauge barrel weighs 1/4 of a pound, and so on.)
"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins

Evelyn Adler

Wow, a gun crash-course!  ;D
Thank you so much!

walkthebassline

Quote from: Evelyn Adler on December 12, 2011, 09:10:52 PM
Wow, a gun crash-course!  ;D
Thank you so much!

Any time. Trust the redneck Southerner American to know all about guns. :D
"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins

MWBailey

Quote from: walkthebassline on December 12, 2011, 09:18:39 PM
Thank you so much!

I represent that remark (even though it warn't about me  :D)

I've just been invited to another good ol' southern tradition: a bluegrass jam/christmas party at a friend's house. I'll be back by 10 or 11:00 Central (US) time.

Keep going if you want, I'll post my and the GM bit(s) when I get back.

Evelyn Adler

Stella Gaslight

Anyone that wants the ammo can take it and make up a reaction when a greeine is shot.  What I figure will happen is foaming at the mouth and a lot of pain but if anyone else can come up with something neater let me know. 
I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

walkthebassline

Quote from: MWBailey on December 12, 2011, 11:13:49 PM
Quote from: walkthebassline on December 12, 2011, 09:18:39 PM
Thank you so much!

I represent that remark (even though it warn't about me  :D)

I've just been invited to another good ol' southern tradition: a bluegrass jam/christmas party at a friend's house. I'll be back by 10 or 11:00 Central (US) time.

Keep going if you want, I'll post my and the GM bit(s) when I get back.

I resemble it as well. :D

Have fun at your jam, I'm jealous. I love bluegrass.

~ David St. Hubbins

MWBailey

Quote from: Evelyn Adler on December 12, 2011, 11:16:44 PM
Quote from: MWBailey on December 12, 2011, 11:13:49 PM
I wonder how many banjos'll be there...

Will there be duelling...?

Actually, there were five banjoistas there, so it was more like a melee :D

Evelyn Adler

I'm sick. I feel like death warmed over and I look it too. (Though that need not concern you).
I can hardly string two sentences together and sleep most of the time, so there will be less input from me now.
I try very hard to get better. :P

Private Weasel

I've invisaged a couple of huge pistols, little more than a pair revolvor style 8 gauge shotguns, strapped to the waist of Hawthorne.  Maybe 5 shots in each. Mostly because I like the idea of him calling them "Hope and Glory" and also, I like the worry of him missing and blowing a sizable whole in the infastructure of the ship.

Any problems with decking out with a pair of hand cannons?

MWBailey

Quote from: Evelyn Adler on December 13, 2011, 09:56:20 AM
I'm sick. I feel like death warmed over and I look it too. (Though that need not concern you).
I can hardly string two sentences together and sleep most of the time, so there will be less input from me now.
I try very hard to get better. :P

I'm sorry you feel bad; get well soon, and don't worry.

Quote from: Private Weasel on December 13, 2011, 11:16:08 AM
I've invisaged a couple of huge pistols, little more than a pair revolvor style 8 gauge shotguns, strapped to the waist of Hawthorne.  Maybe 5 shots in each. Mostly because I like the idea of him calling them "Hope and Glory" and also, I like the worry of him missing and blowing a sizable whole in the infastructure of the ship.

Any problems with decking out with a pair of hand cannons?
As long as he gets it from the ship's amoury, since it doesn't appear to be in his profile.

Private Weasel

Sounds fair.  Of course, their a little too big for Hawthorne, but he was concerned about the suggestion that the beasts were dangerously hard to kill

Stella Gaslight

I had way too much fun thinking of the reaction to the anti-fungal.  The thing is not dead but it is in pain. I figure that it will effect different stages of greenie with different levels of reaction. like newer ones that are just going green wont be as bad off.

Look for me on Etsy

The Corsair

Sorry about the delay in posting, I had a job interview today then had to go off and work somewhere else for a family friend (and of course BG was down during my day yesterday). I've made up the time Joe had previously been spending and he should now be back in sync with everyone.
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

MWBailey

Stella Gaslight

So right now we four levels on greenie infection.  This is how I think the progression works but if anyone has anything to add go ahead and do it,

Normalcy stage
A fresh bitten victim that has yet to have the parasite hatch.

Stage One Coloring
Happens hours to days after normalcy. Has some parasite breeding but is not completely ruled by it yet. May not be completely integrated in the hive mind and takes longer and has a milder reaction to Starling's anti-fungal. Slightly less dangerous and has a very pale green coloration.

Sage Two Rage
Happens up to a week after normalcy. Has extensive parasite breeding and partial hive mind integration. Vivid green coloration and slight musty sent from fungus growth. Has a strong reaction to Starling's anti-fungal, up to and including intense pain, foaming of the mouth, bleeding from the eyes and disorientation. Highly dangerous and fast.

Stage three Juggernaut
Happens a few weeks up to a month after normalcy. Has full hive mind integration and large muscular growths. Deep green almost black coloration and a heavy musty sent from fungus growth. Has a strong reaction to Starling's anti-fungal but it takes a very large dose and a long tome for it to get past the infections defenses. Highly dangerous and slow but with monstrous strenght.

Look for me on Etsy

Evelyn Adler

With BG down I couldn't post this earlier, but I imagined Mary's new "armour" along the lines of this:

Spoiler: ShowHide

Replace the pvc and wool with leather - you get the idea.
It was too tempting!  ;D

Concerning the Greenies: so the one that grabbed Starling was one of the "juggernauts"? How long has this ship been out there?