News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

If someone asks 'Why do you wear that?', what do you reply?

Started by toxickun, March 07, 2012, 04:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Madd

Someone asks me that- Because if I didn't I be naked?
What do we want? Decapitations!

MistyDawn

Here, in this small country town, I'm constantly approached and questioned about my attire, my ethnicity, where i originated from, etc. My response to this particular question would flatly be, "you sayin i should lollygag about naked?!"

MWBailey

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Cassandra Sheffield

Quote from: Captain Marcus Stahlsturm on March 07, 2012, 09:28:58 PM
I have been asked why I had goggles around my neck. I simply told them that at high altitudes when piloting an airship the wind can render you pretty much blind and wearing them allows me to better spot fat merchant ships coming from the colonies. I explained how The Isabella was tethered not far away and was undergoing repairs after we were ambushed by Imperial ships and I was looking for new crew as many had been lost after she took a hit to the fo'c'sle. I then asked them if they were willing to join my crew as deck hands...

That's perfect! If you don't mind me using your idea, I would love to use that (modified for my own craft and situation, of course) for an answer.
It's hard to unwind when people around you insist on stressing you out.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -Jayne Cobb (Firefly)

Keith_Beef

Quote from: toxickun on March 07, 2012, 04:45:45 AMa random person out of the blue walks up to you and ask. why do you wear goggles? what would you replie?

QuoteGoggles are much more suitable attire than the stripes you will be wearing across your back when you have been horse-whipped for your impudence, you ragamuffin!
--
Keith

SteamFaery

I mostly receive compliments on my attire, others expect me to be in a play, everyone else is too shocked to ask.

I confused a passport inspector at the Eurostar wearing my flying gear once. He stared at my passport photo, then at my goggles, then at my ticket, and finally said, "Are you sure you're in the right place?"

That made a nice change from the usual "Where's your plane, Biggles?", which I've never found a really satisfying response to.

My favourite was a woman who stopped in the middle of the road, regardless of oncoming traffic, staring after me with a look of horror and possibly outrage. She didn't say a word, just watched me pass, as though she had been turned to stone. Tight lacing is an uncommon sight these days, I suppose she was unprepared for it.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress." ~ Giuseppe Verdi

www.ziazan.co.uk

FenrisWolf

When not 'dressed to the nines' I tend to walk around in shorts and a t-shirt - yes even in winter - as I don't feel the cold.

Always being asked what I consider the most ridiculous question ever to ask someone who looks to be quite happily walking around in such clothes...

"Aren't you cold?"

I have to bite my tongue and say that I am fine, thank you. When I want to say "If I was cold, I would wear more clothes. Don't you think?"
Fenris Wolf
Iconographic Capturer of Ætheric Personalities™
www.fenrisoswin.com 

Lucius Baxter

I imagine I shall be getting plenty of 'Biggles' comments over the next few years!
being a 2nd lieutenant in the Royal Flying Corps has it's disadvantages!
2nd lieutenant in his majesty's Royal Flying Corps

Roycole

Quote from: VampirateMace on March 10, 2012, 06:49:58 AM
I usually reply, "Would you have talked to me otherwise?"

It's quicker than explaining what Steampunk is or going into a long explanation of how time travel creates a blinding light, for which I need the goggles to protect my eyes...
i was going to write a reply but yours is way better.....
"Would you have talked to me otherwise?"

frances

I usually use the 'blinding light' explanation and it never fails to get a larff.

Clym Angus

Voltin

"Well in case I fall dead for some reason I want to be dressed in my finest"

or

"My Sweat pants and T-Shirt are at the Cleaners and all I had that was clean is this"
"We often mingle with the world, but our discovery is hidden away, as it can be in a small compass, and no one suspects who or what we are. We pass as tourists among our fellow-men" - Mystery Airship Pilot 1858-1898

Sir Boris Cogsworth

I get harassed often, as people aren't particularly used to seeing a 53-year-old man wearing goggles, bowler hats and the like. They are very rude and I never know how to respond! What do I tell those who don't understand?

:-\
Days... Weeks... Months...

Screaming Lord Pea Green

Quote from: Sir Boris Cogsworth on April 28, 2014, 01:44:41 AM
I get harassed often, as people aren't particularly used to seeing a 53-year-old man wearing goggles, bowler hats and the like. They are very rude and I never know how to respond! What do I tell those who don't understand?

:-\

Considerably Richer Than You - Harry Enfield and Chums - BBC
The Moral High Gound - A great place to position Artillery.

SkyFleet-LT1

Because i like to i like to where tweed. . . .
and what are you wearing some sort new Penal uniform?

Thank You Kindly

Angel in the Night

My personal favorite is to say "Why not?" I also like to say "Because I like it." or "Well I don't think it's legal to be naked in public."

HideTheNines

I was once asked by a fellow in a long billowy T-shirt "Why the hell I was wearing what I was." My response? "Why are you wearing a dress?"

Vagabond GentleMan

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.

tylerkendo

I wear it cause i have it, if you want me to wear something else give it to me but in a very polite manner ;D

Colonel Hawthorne

As many have said, 'because it makes me happy' is quite a good one.

Out here in the Colonies, Mrs Hudson (the younger) and I encounter two basic reactions to our splendidity.  One is sheer joy; the other is 'I'm too cool for this, nothing to see here'.
Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?

Inverurie Jones

My flying goggles only come out if I'm actually flying something with an open cockpit, but apart from that I tend to dress like the whole aviator archetype. If asked, I just tell them it's because I'm a pilot and as such I am driven by my ego to tell everyone that I am a pilot and this is best achieved by getting them to ask why I wear a flying jacket in middle of summer.

Basically, I'm like an anglerfish.

Dr. Madd

How about this response if you wanted to start a ruckus-

"Gee, I guess I missed the memo that it was "dress like a scrub with no self-respect" day."
What do we want? Decapitations!

proteus

--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!

Vagabond GentleMan

"Why are you dressed like that?"

"What?  These rags?  I dunno, I found 'em in ur mom's closet.  She let me keep 'em after I banged her." >shrugs<
Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: Vagabond GentleMan on December 10, 2014, 06:48:55 PM
"Why are you dressed like that?"

"What?  These rags?  I dunno, I found 'em in ur mom's closet.  She let me keep 'em after I banged her." >shrugs<

I shall  be using this one ;)