News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

If someone asks 'Why do you wear that?', what do you reply?

Started by toxickun, March 07, 2012, 04:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairley B. Strange

And if the conversation continues into a second round - before the fisticuffs, of course - I always try to get in a quick:

"And, honestly, I think the clothes were the best part of the deal..."
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

Vagabond GentleMan

Yes!

But comedy aside, I have used that line in real life, and it's true you better be ready for things to escalate, because they often will...not everyone has a good sense of humor.  :)
Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.

Lady Lilliann

Haha, I am also one of these people who run around with goggles.

I get asked often why I wear them, usually I say "Because they are awesome/cool" or something like that, but just yesterday I got confronted with a question I didn't know what to reply on, which is following: "Why are your clothes so weird?"

How to reply on such a question without starting a fight^^ because I can't..
Fantasy mirrors desire. Imagination reshapes it.   Mason Cooley

Screaming Lord Pea Green

The Moral High Gound - A great place to position Artillery.

VampirateMace

Quote from: Lady Lilliann on April 16, 2015, 01:22:48 PMI get asked often why I wear them, usually I say "Because they are awesome/cool" or something like that, but just yesterday I got confronted with a question I didn't know what to reply on, which is following: "Why are your clothes so weird?"
Wow, that's rude. Well, if you didn't reply or just walked away, it was defiantly more dignified then the replies going through my head.

Miss Indigo Darling

Quote from: Sir Boris Cogsworth on April 28, 2014, 01:44:41 AM
I get harassed often, as people aren't particularly used to seeing a 53-year-old man wearing goggles, bowler hats and the like. They are very rude and I never know how to respond! What do I tell those who don't understand?

:-\

If someone is truly curious and isn't trying to be a jerk about it, I give them a brief explanation concerning Steampunk. If they're just being rude and trying to bait me, I reply, "It's all the rage in Atlantis these days, don't you know?" And if they continue to push the issue and attempt to harrass, they get "Why do you care?" I then proceed to walk away. No quarter given.
"Of all the fishes in the sea, my favourite is the bass. He climbs up on the tall sea weed, and slides down on his hands and knees."

Dr. Madd

Someone just yesterday asked me why I wore a pith helmet equipped with a beekeeper face shield to work. I said, why not? Why does she wear rubber cause bracelets? Matter of personal taste.
What do we want? Decapitations!

Clym Angus

Quote from: Lady Lilliann on April 16, 2015, 01:22:48 PM
Haha, I am also one of these people who run around with goggles.

I get asked often why I wear them, usually I say "Because they are awesome/cool" or something like that, but just yesterday I got confronted with a question I didn't know what to reply on, which is following: "Why are your clothes so weird?"

How to reply on such a question without starting a fight^^ because I can't..

I answer questions with questions. Compared to what? Your good self? Do you consider yourself normal? Why do you wish to wear the things you do? As opposed to something else? Apart from the limited selection the shops dictated to by the current trends of fashion offered you of course. Do you feel you are honestly being given a choice in the things you wear? Do you feel contained in any way? Restricted? No?

Do you feel in some way threatened by me? If not then why comment? If so why?

Something about me forced you to react, what was it? And why?

Burgess Shale

Last summer at a renaissance fair, during Steampunk Invasion Weekend, one of the performers asked me "How is the welding going? Are you having fun welding with your goggles?" I responded, "I can't weld in these. The lenses aren't dark enough. I'd damage my retinas. I use these for grinding!"
Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts

Clym Angus

Yes, the assumption of affectation (as opposed to practical necessity) warrants very short shrift indeed!
Here here sir! Well done.

Caledonian

bowler hat and goggles belong to my standard attire. by now people are used to it but sometimes they do ask what in the world I put on top of my hat. or why I'm always wearing a hat.
usually answer: Goggles. I like hats.
and if they ask "what are goggles" I point at my goggles and say "these are"

if they ask why, I just shrug. I'm not asking them why they're wearing a nike cap am I?
Passion is like a Peatfire

Clym Angus

If I'm honest my day to day attire just makes me look evil and slightly perverse.
People don't tend to accost me regarding my clothing these days (especially when I have the heavy duty plyers out for knitting)
Actually come to think of it that maybe it. People are MORE interested in the latest metal lovely I'm machining up to notice the fine waistcoat, watch chain etc etc.

Although that isn't entirely true. When I am in a department store I do tend to get asked for directions and the like.
Personally I find this quite complimentary. I am seen by complete strangers as an authority figure, or a representative of something larger. A man who can render aid.

Heart warming. 

Ranger Reid

I am new to this but I believe I am fortunate in that my interest is more western punk.  And the town I live in is one of the oldest Rodeo/ cowboy towns in the country.  I posted a picture on another site of one of my hats and they said "nice prop."   I had to tell them, it isn't a prop.  I have a wall full of cowboy hats that I wear every day.  some of them I wore way back when while doing day work on real ranches.   

So all I need to do now that I have found other folks with a bent for punk is to add a few tweaks to what I always have worn.  I think it will be easy to make small adjustments to my western look and make it western punk.

Crescat Scientia

I live in a neighborhood with Gothic Lolitas, monks in full habit, and I just spotted a man in a purple robe and matching turban.

I don't get asked why I wear what I wear.
Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying

Immen Augustus Guell

Quote from: Dr Fidelius on March 07, 2012, 12:52:00 PM
I never get asked that. Being a rather large, pompous, middle-aged man I suppose I may have earned the right to be eccentric.
Or it could be because my "Steampunk" outfit is my normal clothes. I have worn vests, bowties, suspenders and nice hats for decades. My weakness for tweed was a sign of incipent fuddy-duddyism, now it seems that I am cool.
I purchased and painted a pair of goggles to wear to events to differentiate being "dressed up" from just being dressed. And I have been wearing the goggles less often lately because there is not much reason for an academic to be wearing them. Unless the chance of encountering spitting cobras is higher than usual.
In short, I don't wear anything as a badge of belonging to the Steampunk community. I wear clothes that show I am a bit of a retronaut but I feel no need to stand out in a crowd any more than my natural aura of awesomeness produces.

This, a million times this.

SteamFaery

Quote from: Crescat Scientia on October 26, 2015, 12:04:56 AM
I live in a neighborhood with Gothic Lolitas, monks in full habit, and I just spotted a man in a purple robe and matching turban.

Your neighbourhood sounds awesome.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress." ~ Giuseppe Verdi

www.ziazan.co.uk

Clym Angus

Quote from: Crescat Scientia on October 26, 2015, 12:04:56 AM

Where do you live? Roughly?

Sir Les Patterson

Cultural Attache to the Australian Govt. Dip Lid, PhD in Cattle (Oxen). Advisor and comforter to various Govt dept's.  Just because it's imaginary to the Govt, doesn't mean it's not real. Call the Department of Imaginary Problems, (DoIP) and ask for me. I also freelance as an expert specializing in matters of a general nature.

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: Sir Les Patterson on December 11, 2015, 01:36:20 AM
Normally, I just reply "because I can".

Or even just 'because' and give them an enigmatic smile; (why waste words?)
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Prof. Cecily

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
I've yet to be asked that question.
The most often heard question  I get is
"May I take your photograph, madam?"

Late at night, when I return from an event, the less-sober elements out and about will exclaim
"Dios mío, ¡es Mary Poppins!"

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Clym Angus

Is it always a sign of weakness to just let someone with no self control (due to age, lack of experience) to have their petty victory for it means nothing to you?
I didn't have the heart to tell the 3 badly dressed teenage scruffs that shouting "Dracula" at me was more of a compliment than an insult.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I find myself apathetic to such games these days.

MWBailey

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Major Wolfram Quicksilver

Look them up and down, and reply "Because I don't want to look like I was dressed by my mother?"
'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'

Corroded Alloy

Quote from: Major Wolfram Quicksilver on May 29, 2016, 04:57:53 PM
Look them up and down, and reply "Because I don't want to look like I was dressed by my mother?"

That is one I will be storing for future use! It explains everything I'd like to say in just one sentence.
Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.

Hez

I have never yet explained why I wear steampunk without being asked to explain steampunk.  And usually the reaction is positive if not envious.  Whatever you say, say it with splendid manners as befits the splendid people you are.