News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

If someone asks 'Why do you wear that?', what do you reply?

Started by toxickun, March 07, 2012, 04:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frances

Well blow me down.  At the weekend some did ask me why do people wear goggles.  And I remembered the reply about the space-time continuum.  And he did crack a smile. 

haha   So thanks to the person who wrote that.

Flightless Phoenix

People seem to ask me "Are you in a play/going to a fancy dress party?' quite a lot, because of my fondness for top hats.

I just say "Oh no, I dress like this all the time." with a big smile. People tend to be too confused to enquire further.

If they ask, "Why are you wearing a top hat?". I just say "because I like it" which tend to make people go "fair enough" and carry on with the conversation.

I might have to try some of the time traveller type comments though, would be most amusing!

kidkunjer

when people ask me about my goggles i say: to hold my dreads out of my face whilst i eat noodles.

although usually they ask if they are for swimming. considering they are large, metallic and have air vents in the sides it doesn't make a lot of sense... that just makes me laugh.

but then as a johnny foreigner living in china they totally expect me to dress weird. and i get a fair amount of puzzled/delighted/horrified looks just for being white.

the semi Victorian stuff, they just expect that's what all English people wear normally lol

toxickun

it urks me that people think because i wear goggles mean i can swim and weld. *although i do sometimes accept the weld excuses*
...wth is a signature ._.
[sorry for my fail in grammar]

Dave_G

Quote from: Corroded Alloy on March 07, 2012, 05:47:38 PM
Some years ago I had just walked past two teenage girls when one of them called out "why are you wearing that coat?" Being naturally shy it would have been easier for me to keep walking, however I stopped, turned around and said "Why? Do you have a problem with it?" They didn't answer a word but stood looking crestfallen and rebuffed. I feel horrible for doing that. They probably liked my coat but didn't know how to express themselves. It probably took them a lot of courage to speak to me. Because of that I realized I needed a more friendly and witty answer to that question.

In future If I do get asked "why do you wear that?" my reply shall be "Well what else can I do with it?  Smoke it? or maybe eat it?"

Since coming up with that answer I haven't been asked that question.

Quote Spike Milligans line from Puckoon....... " We sold da hat stand, and ders no where to hang it !" :D
"Watcher of the skies.... watcher of all"

Hez

Quote from: toxickun on April 11, 2012, 07:06:33 PM
it urks me that people think because i wear goggles mean i can swim and weld. *although i do sometimes accept the weld excuses*

Tell them you do underwater welding as a hobby.  ;)

Engineer Lukas

Quote from: Lady Toadflinger on March 31, 2012, 09:51:35 PM
If asked why I am wearing that (whatever that may be), I merely look surprised and say "Because it's Saturday!" (or whatever the day of the week), and stroll on. ;)
This one saved me a lot of explaning today - being my first day of wearing a waistcoat and pocket watch at work ;)

frances

Unsubtle Pete

Two tracksuited chavs, one in a sort of mauvey pink, one in pale blue. They asked, in terms of utter confusion and disgust, "what the **** are you wearing"*

I looked them in the eye and said "menswear. You chaps should try it sometime"

*Frock overcoat, morning trousers, cravat etc.
With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog

Birdnest

Quote from: Unsubtle Pete on April 25, 2012, 08:46:24 PM
Two tracksuited chavs, one in a sort of mauvey pink, one in pale blue. They asked, in terms of utter confusion and disgust, "what the **** are you wearing"*

oh SNAP  ;D
Onward ho!

OswaldBastable

have a 1000 cool points  ;D
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre

Royston Vasey

Fabulous response !

toxickun

so i tried the "cuz its saturday" quote among someone whom asked me why i wore gold colored swimming googles, thinking that would saved up a lot of explaining she told me:...but its not even saturday. and i just stumbled and went on to saying:...dam it my time machine calibrations are off. in which she had a confused look in her eyes..

Not sure if that worked but it did get got quiet after that.

Lady Toadflinger

Hmmm.... I guess it's best to keep 'em guessing. You can also say, "It's my religion.", as a friend likes to do.
This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!

darkshines

I have been asked by various lovely children, in all seriousness, if I was a robot, a vampire or a princess. On each occasion I said "of course!"
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

Aleister Crow

Quote from: toxickun on May 02, 2012, 07:22:20 PM
so i tried the "cuz its saturday" quote among someone whom asked me why i wore gold colored swimming googles, thinking that would saved up a lot of explaining she told me:...but its not even saturday. and i just stumbled and went on to saying:...dam it my time machine calibrations are off. in which she had a confused look in her eyes..

That means it worked.  ;D
'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'

toxickun

Quote from: Aleister Crow on May 04, 2012, 02:02:20 PM
Quote from: toxickun on May 02, 2012, 07:22:20 PM

That means it worked.  ;D
:O brilliant!

KABAR2

Years ago after leaving a Revolutionary War re-enactment I stopped into a diner with a small group
of re-enactors we were all dressed in our 18th Century small cloths without regimentals...... and elderly couple aproached us and asked us why we were dressed the way we were before I could say anything another re-enactor said we were part of a religious sect that worshiped signs..... the husband had a Yeah right look on his face..... they sat at a window booth and ordered, we finished our meals and got and left the building several of the re-enactors went over to the corner of the parking lot by a stop sign in view of the window where the elderly couple sat,  one fellow stood reading out of a book with his hand raised as if exorting a higher power and the rest kneeled down and started bowing at the stop sign..... the woman became very animated and was pointing showing her husband the view out the window ....... somewhere out in New Jersey there is a couple of people who believe that there are people who worship stop signs.......
Spoiler: ShowHide
Alter-ego Baron Rinehold Tredmore on Sparegoggles

Cubinoid

Quote from: darkshines on May 04, 2012, 07:12:42 AM
I have been asked by various lovely children, in all seriousness, if I was a robot, a vampire or a princess. On each occasion I said "of course!"

Oh, me too. One conversation was all questions on one side:
Are you a magician?
Are you an inventor?
Are you famous?

Short answers with an air of mystery and no explanation work well:
Yes, I am.
Sometimes.
Only when I feel like it.

I have answered: Why are you wearing those clothes?
With: Because I'd be cold otherwise.

The one answer that I owe the credit to someone else on here for is my favourite though:

Why the goggles?
In case of adventure!
We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

Lady Toadflinger

While at Maker Faire last weekend, I was asked the "Why the goggles?" question.(Of course!) I used the "In case of Spitting Cobras." answer, and was quite satisfied with the reaction! (blank stare  ???)
This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!

VampirateMace

Quote from: darkshines on May 04, 2012, 07:12:42 AM

A few years back, a friend and I (both dressed in plain black t-shirts and jeans) had this poor child quite convinced we were vampires. Who after leaving ran back to 'bravely' tell us there was no such thing, before running off again in terror when I showed him my fangs (I have abnormally large canines.)

P.S. Does anyone know where the spell check has gone?

The Laird

In the middle of our great Glasgow heatwave last week a drunken gentleman (At half past nine in the morning) enquired if I was not "F@$*!~# roasting?" when he spotted me in my frock coat.

I could only reply with a simple nod of the head and the comment "Indeed I am."

It was, however, entirely worth it.

Sphinx

When asked 'why are you wearing...' questions I tend to settle for a devious toothy grin whilst asking salaciously in return "Would you rather I were naked?"  It either sends them running or results in an invitation to coffee. I'm not particular.

Boston Jones

I was buying a new bowler hat the other day and the woman asked
-Well, what's the occasion?
-Day wear
-I love that

She gave me 5% discount :)
"Countries do not exist where I am from.
The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power,
the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone.
It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."
-Eloi Cole

EScoggin

I always say "That's just the way I am." Most people leave it at that.
Other one's I use: "It's comfy." "Why not?" Or pick something odd about their clothes and comment on them.
Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
~ John Wayne, American Actor