News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

If someone asks 'Why do you wear that?', what do you reply?

Started by toxickun, March 07, 2012, 04:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pro. Millbore Grosling

because now days the attire is so boring, I wish to look a tad intresting every now an the. Have a nice day ;) that's all I have
Man of Science

Lucius Baxter

Quote from: EScoggin on July 02, 2012, 04:27:49 AM
I always say "That's just the way I am." Most people leave it at that.
Other one's I use: "It's comfy." "Why not?" Or pick something odd about their clothes and comment on them.
I've tried that... only thing is I use it too much. I'll try the "isn't this what muggles wear these days?" quote. I get hollered at quite a lot by people, especially at pubs, where people automatically assume I'm Indiana Jones.
2nd lieutenant in his majesty's Royal Flying Corps

Cubinoid

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

Jedediah Solomon

I simply ask them if they would prefer me to remove them, which may not work for you, you may have some offers to help. This is not a likely alternative for me, being Middle-aged, slightly overweight, and a greying dude. Not a pretty picture
Quote from: Sphinx on June 14, 2012, 03:42:31 AM
When asked 'why are you wearing...' questions I tend to settle for a devious toothy grin whilst asking salaciously in return "Would you rather I were naked?"  It either sends them running or results in an invitation to coffee. I'm not particular.
I am quite particular, and would probably not accept such an offer, but I like the way you think.  Let's get together for coffee somewhere  ;)
Adventure awaits

The Corsair

Edited the thread title. Something stickied should probably have proper spelling at the very least.
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Voltin

A few times I had been asked why I wear this Bridge coat.

My response has been "Well I walk to work even in the winter".  I live in fridgid Minnesota.

Or I will simple say "Because I like the look of it".
"We often mingle with the world, but our discovery is hidden away, as it can be in a small compass, and no one suspects who or what we are. We pass as tourists among our fellow-men" - Mystery Airship Pilot 1858-1898

qui est in literis

Had occasion the other day to tell off an obnoxious mundie.
"Why are you dressed like that?"
"I'm not."

I didn't think it was an especially witty comeback, but his reaction was marvelous. He rolled his eyes and started to go about his business, then jumped like a startled cat, turned back to me, stared hard, and started "But..."
He must have decided then that I was some sort of dangerous lunatic, because he fled like a bat out of hell.
"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply

GabrielCrimson

look confused and then look at your torso and proceed to freak out becoming more wide eyed and shocked then start screaming ''get them off ,get them off'' followed by running off arms flailing around you.

I wish i could do this lol

frances

I've done exactly this when someone has pointed out that I have a dragonfly on my jacket.  (I have a few dragonfly brooches which I happen to like very much.  They are quite life-like in an art nouveau way.  I am quite good at brushing myself down and shouting 'get-off', 'go away!! uurgg!!! ')

Lucy Lockhart

Quote from: The Laird on May 29, 2012, 09:19:53 AM
In the middle of our great Glasgow heatwave last week a drunken gentleman (At half past nine in the morning) enquired if I was not "F@$*!~# roasting?" when he spotted me in my frock coat.

I could only reply with a simple nod of the head and the comment "Indeed I am."

It was, however, entirely worth it.

This is indeed the best reply ever, after all, temperatures may rise, but standards must never be allowed to fall.

Am I to assume from reading all these replies, that there is a vast number of Steampunks wandering around in their Victorian attire on a regular, if not daily basis, going about your everyday business,but dressed impeccably?!

L.L

Lucy Lockhart (finders custodes)

Marasi

Just got asked this question for the first time on Saturday night by a group of lads who on first glance seemed a bit dodgy. Wish I'd remembered some of the responses on here, but just came out with a rather lame "err, it's called Steampunk". I was admittedly a bit nervous, but all credit to them, they seemed quite politely interested.

Marasi

Quote from: frances on August 29, 2012, 10:09:32 PM
I've done exactly this when someone has pointed out that I have a dragonfly on my jacket.  (I have a few dragonfly brooches which I happen to like very much.  They are quite life-like in an art nouveau way.  I am quite good at brushing myself down and shouting 'get-off', 'go away!! uurgg!!! ')

Ooh, art nouveau dragonflies sound lovely!

kidkunjer

Quote from: Mad Miss Holmes on August 16, 2012, 10:30:36 PM
"I'm not."

I didn't think it was an especially witty comeback, but his reaction was marvelous. He rolled his eyes and started to go about his business, then jumped like a startled cat, turned back to me, stared hard, and started "But..."
He must have decided then that I was some sort of dangerous lunatic, because he fled like a bat out of hell.
this is my favourite one so far! very victor hart

Major Wolfram Quicksilver

Whenever I'm asked "Aren't you warm in that?" I reply:

"I think cool thoughts."
'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'

Kieranfoy

I reply "I'm too awesome for t-shirts."

But I intend to steal the "Would you rather I be naked" line.

I also point out that my duster billows. What would life be without billow factor?
'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi

Unsubtle Pete

Quote from: Lucy Lockhart on September 05, 2012, 12:48:53 PM
In the middle of our great Glasgow heatwave last week a drunken gentleman (At half past nine in the morning) enquired if I was not "F@$*!~# roasting?" when he spotted me in my frock coat.

This is indeed the best reply ever, after all, temperatures may rise, but standards must never be allowed to fall.

Am I to assume from reading all these replies, that there is a vast number of Steampunks wandering around in their Victorian attire on a regular, if not daily basis, going about your everyday business,but dressed impeccably?!

L.L

Not so sure about vast numbers, but there's certainly some of us.
With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog

CaptainMurra

Quote from: Mad Miss Holmes on August 16, 2012, 10:30:36 PM
"I'm not."

i love this!
i must use it! :D
Give thy thoughts no tongue - William Shakespeare

Cubinoid

Quote from: Unsubtle Pete on October 03, 2012, 05:20:47 AM
Quote from: Lucy Lockhart on September 05, 2012, 12:48:53 PM

L.L

Not so sure about vast numbers, but there's certainly some of us.

Indeed there are! :)
We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

CaptainMurra

Quote from: Voltin on August 11, 2012, 02:33:26 AM
A few times I had been asked why I wear this Bridge coat.

My response has been "Well I walk to work even in the winter".  I live in fridgid Minnesota.

Or I will simple say "Because I like the look of it".

also, that coat is beautiful!
Give thy thoughts no tongue - William Shakespeare

Frey

Ha! I was asked this tie after time after time after time after... Well, you get it! The first few times were rather awesome and I did try to explain as best as I could but it quickly grew tiresome when people who were stood right next to me while explaining wanted an answer for themselves. I think I'm going to start carrying cards to pass out.

Screaming Lord Pea Green

"...because the last time I didn't wear something, I was put on a list."
The Moral High Gound - A great place to position Artillery.

Capt. Dirigible

My stock reply to 'Why are you wearing that?' or 'What are you dressed like that for?' is:
"I could ask you the same question"

The enquirer's usual response is 'Wot?' but pretty most any other reply they give ( 'because it keeps me warm'..'because I like  dressing like this'..'because I'm normal'...'because I look cool'...'because I have to'...'because I want to'..) can be answered with  "Well, me too."

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Marco

I usually growl and smile maniacally.....

or I say "because I can", "I'm Batman" (this really throws them off)"or "oh yes, I could dress like I did when I was a small boy in my jeans and t-shirt... oh sorry, I didn't mean that, oh yes I did..."

Herr Döktor

QuoteIf someone asks 'Why do you wear that?', what do you reply?

"Ahh! You can SEE me?!?"

Then run away.

Ezra Hogbin

Quote from: Engineer Lukas on April 25, 2012, 10:03:40 AM
Quote from: Lady Toadflinger on March 31, 2012, 09:51:35 PM
If asked why I am wearing that (whatever that may be), I merely look surprised and say "Because it's Saturday!" (or whatever the day of the week), and stroll on. ;)
This one saved me a lot of explaning today - being my first day of wearing a waistcoat and pocket watch at work ;)
I didn't even get to explain.
The only comment I got was from our retired MD who informed me that his grandfather used to have a watch like that.
The rest already think I'm weird anyway.

I did have quite a nice comment last weekend. A guy who, on the surface, would appear like your everyday type of chav called over to me, "Nice Fedora! It is a Fedora isn't it?". I mentally moved him out of the chav list and into the "maybe civilised" list! Everyone else calls it a cowboy hat  ::)
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"