News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Re: Playing Dress Up (The Steam Gallery Volume 3)

Started by Stella Gaslight, March 21, 2012, 03:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Shipton Bellinger

Quote from: Unsubtle Pete on March 29, 2012, 11:13:33 PM
New morning outfit, slightly more summery than my previous examples.

Splendid outfit, Sir. Is there any chance of a closer look at the waistcoat?

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Unsubtle Pete

Quote from: Captain Shipton Bellinger on March 30, 2012, 05:32:55 AM

Splendid outfit, Sir. Is there any chance of a closer look at the waistcoat?

Happy to oblige  ;)

It is a casual day double breasted waistcoat with two pockets, only about a month old, made of cotton moleskin. It has quickly become one of my favourite waistcoats. It is supposed to be floppy like that.
With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog

Countessa Lenora

Quote from: Kryss LaBryn on March 29, 2012, 05:06:43 PM
I finally finished my daughter's outfit (although when these pictures were taken last week I had not yet added the details around the neck or the front of the bodice so it kind of looks a bit plain from the front) and had to take some pictures to celebrate.

I used http://pixlr.com/o-matic/ to pretty them up.

Spoiler: ShowHide

I'll share pics of the completely finished dress once I find the camera again!

Lovely family portrait.  But your children truly steal the show (so to speak).  Your daughter is an absolute doll and her outfit is perfect for her!  Well done!
Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk

Kryss LaBryn

Thanks so much! :) Hee... she's adorable. I'm torn between, once she grows out of these outfits I make her (she's got a Norse one too, one from when she was about 3 months old that I am hanging onto, and another, now-sized identical version) and selling them to someone else. I think the smallest ones I will hang onto (the baby Viking one is small enough to frame), but if anyone wants patterns I am happy to oblige! Most of it is terribly simple to sew.

The Norse Outfit. The necklace is stitched down so she can't get tangled up in it, and the "brooches" are buttons.

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers

frances

Hello everyone.  I thought that I would introduce myself with this picture - well I would but I cannot work out how to do this.

Herr Döktor

Quote from: frances on March 30, 2012, 09:19:04 PM
Hello everyone.  I thought that I would introduce myself with this picture - well I would but I cannot work out how to do this.

This should help: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30047.0.html,  and welcome to the forum!

:)

frances

Thank you I'm pleased to be here - but I still cannot work out what to do.  The pic is not on the internet.  Do I have to post it onto flickr or some other public site before I can download it to here then?

LadyAsprin

Quote from: frances on March 30, 2012, 11:38:46 PM
Thank you I'm pleased to be here - but I still cannot work out what to do.  The pic is not on the internet.  Do I have to post it onto flickr or some other public site before I can download it to here then?

Yep, post the picture to flickr or similar then either click insert image and put the url between the tags or use (img) picture url here (/img) - change the round brackets for square ones.
Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)

frances

Oh right.  That is easy.  I'll do it tomorrowthen.  night, night.   :-*

Countessa Lenora

Quote from: Kryss LaBryn on March 30, 2012, 04:48:39 PM
The Norse Outfit. The necklace is stitched down so she can't get tangled up in it, and the "brooches" are buttons.

I know a lot of Norse and Heathens and they would all do the *squee* if they saw her (and I'm talking the big burly ones too).   
Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk

D.Oakes

At the wedding I did the photos for a few months back.  (my assistant was surprisingly well behaved) 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

Kryss LaBryn

Quote from: Countessa Lenora on March 31, 2012, 12:39:16 PM
Quote from: Kryss LaBryn on March 30, 2012, 04:48:39 PM

I know a lot of Norse and Heathens and they would all do the *squee* if they saw her (and I'm talking the big burly ones too).   

Ha ha, I'm a Heathen myself, and yes, yes they do. ;D Took her to Pagan Pride Day in Vancouver in her two-year-old version (same think, just scaled up) and it went over very well.

I'd be happy to share details/patterns; it's really very simple to make. Most of the impact is in the nice bright trim and that she's so tiny, ha ha. And then one strap and that side of the apron is stitched together and the other strap attaches to the front part of the apron, and the front piece to the side piece, with hooks and eyes, so it's super easy to get on and off.

Her brother has an outfit too but he's kind of going sour on it. It's a T-tunic, of course, and with his shoulder-length hair and what too many mundanes think is a dress everyone keeps thinking he's a girl when he's wearing it! At least, when he was wearing it at the park the event was at; lots of adults but I don't think (m)any of the kids there were involved.
"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers

Kryss LaBryn

Quote from: D.Oakes on March 31, 2012, 02:33:49 PM
At the wedding I did the photos for a few months back.  (my assistant was surprisingly well behaved) 

You look very natty, Doctor! And what an adorable assistant you have! That's a lovely dress!

Herbert West

Well, heres my attempt (sorry for the poor photo quality).

I've never had much success with dressing up and  thought about starting a new thread asking for advice, as I'm not sure if the outfit 'works' or if I just look silly. So any tips or suggestions from the experts would be most welcome. Just about everything is replacable except the vest. It was a present and I doubt I could afford a new one.

I'll add a few additional accessories later. The cravat is also just a scrap of cloth until I can order a proper one.
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

Dr. Wilson Montgomery

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll193/Unsubtle_Pete/MorningDressWatch.jpg

*Dr. Montgomery dares to leave the comfort of the Queer Gears-subform just to be stunned*

Must. comment. on gorgeous. outfit.
Must. NOT. focus. on. pants. holding. a. David Bowie:esq. level. of tightness. and. awesomeness.

Uncle Arthur

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!

Capt. Dirigible

A few shots from our recent trip to The Watercress Line railway..

The full set can be seen in post #87 here
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,34149.msg772346.html#new
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Unsubtle Pete

I must say that both Mr West and Capt. Dirigible are wearing fantastic waistcoats  :)
With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

walkthebassline

So many great outfits on this page alone!

Mr. West, that is a great first effort! I personally wouldn't add too much more; I think it works just fine the way it is!
"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins

Kryss LaBryn

Seconded! Don't be concerned, dear Mr. West; you are indeed quite presentable. :)

D.Oakes

What are we replacing Mr. West?  The waist coat steals the show by far. 

If anything I'd switch out the buttons on the coat.  That is probably the only recommendation I can give and even that is completed forced. 
"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

Herbert West

Thanks everyone. Your comments have been a real confidence booster. The first big change is to try and look a bit more cheerful in future photos. :)

But really, the changes are minor. Yes I'd planned to replace the buttons. Perhaps find a shirt with a more vintage collar, a different pair of glasses(http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=169&osCsid=821de7063e32b179d07cac4f2e039abc), and of course a proper cravat. There will also be a Miskatonic lapel pin, and I completely forgot to wear my black gloves.
I also wasn't sure about the magnifier on the goggles. I think settign it at a lower angle might be in order.

I'd also been considering removing the shoulderpads from the jacket, as I seem to recall reading somewhere on the board that they weren't used in 19th century coats. Thoughts?
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

D.Oakes

I'd love to see where the shoulder pad argument was made.  The Austro-Hungarian Feldjaegers for instance had "shoulder pads" on the outside for both decoration and to add support for the slung rifle.  Shoulders in 19th century and prior uniforms and men's clothing were often emphasized, sometimes to a greater extent than simple shoulder pads.  It depended upon class and status to a great extent, so no you probably wouldn't find such things in a poor worker's clothing, but an aristocrat would want to appear as imposing as possible.  The chest and shoulders were many times quilted to improve fit and certainly to give a more impressive figure. 

Unsubtle Pete

Don't remove the shoulderpads. Generally, if it has shoulder pads, it was cut to have them, and will simply not work without them.

As for the historical use of them, well, it isn't that simple. They came into civilian use in the late 19th century onwards, IIRC in America before europe, but undoubtedly they had been used earlier in military gear. An earlier style padded the chest, but not the shoulders. Shoulders were also often emphasised by bringing the waist in tight.

Herbert West

Well then its a good thing I brought it up. Thank you gentlemen.

At least now I have the confidence to carry on with it.