News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Victorian food brands still extant

Started by yereverluvinunclebert, March 30, 2012, 12:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairley B. Strange

Mr Kipling did change over from Verse to Seasonal-fruit-mince pastry...
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

yereverluvinunclebert

@bicyclebuilder - With regard to your Belgian friends across the border, the Duvel brand of beer is based upon an English pale ale yeast, after WWI, the specific stocks of Belgian yeast were destroyed so they used a 'starter' of some yeast from English India Pale Ale being supplied to the British troops then departing Belgium. So, one of Belgium's top beers is secretly British, don't tell anyone...

I suppose that does mean I can drink a Belgian beer, in fact most of them. More alcohol.
Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute

yereverluvinunclebert

@Fairley B. Strange - Mr. Kipling - 1967, only a hundred years out. So, can't eat any of their stuff.

Fairley Strange? Have you met my brother, Faintly Macabre, the celebrated steampunk artist?

yereverluvinunclebert

Henderson's Relish - a vegan alternative to 'wooster' sauce

yereverluvinunclebert

Robinson's barley water
Rose's lime juice
Pimm's No. 1 cup (of course)

yereverluvinunclebert

Quaker Oats is the US form of oats which in the UK we might refer to as Scott's Porage Oats, we get Quaker here but not in the 1800's

bicyclebuilder

To wash it all down, Perrier water.
The best way to learn is by personal experience.

yereverluvinunclebert

I don't think the bottled water fad had caught on in the UK until the 1980s, up until that time we prided ourselves on having (rightly or wrongly) the best (Victorian) water in the world. Then, of course the world caught up and overtook and the men with big mobile phones started drinking the foreign fizzy stuff.

Still, it might just be acceptable though I can imagine an average British-er of that period laughing at the concept of having to buy water when he get small beer far cheaper.

yereverluvinunclebert

What about haggis brands? Mac Sweenies, anyone know?

MacSweenes is too young, only 1970s, anyone Scottish who can come up with anymore extant peculiarly Scottish brands. I can add these to a banquet as they are only just over the border.

yereverluvinunclebert

Schweppes tonic, goes well with the multitudes of gin brands.

elShoggotho

Liebig's Extract of Meat is worth a mention.

yereverluvinunclebert

What is that extract like? have you tasted it, is it speciality food or for people who are ill? You never know.

yereverluvinunclebert

Yes! I read up on this earlier, it became OXO in the UK, probably similar if not the same. We don't have Leibig's in the UK though it was probably around at the time.

Wormster

Tread softly and carry a GBFO stick!

yereverluvinunclebert

@WormAster - I think we have that in the original list already, Patum Paperium

yereverluvinunclebert

I had a look at some pictures of Scott's hut in the antarctic and quite a few brands on the shelves are instantly recognisable, most of it still edible too.

Captain Shipton Bellinger

Colman's Mustard - 1814
McVitie's Biscuits - 1830
Robertson's Marmalade - 1864
Twinings Tea - 1706
Pontefract cakes - ~1760

And for your digestion after the monster Victorian pig-out...

Andrews Liver Salts - 1894

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

MWBailey

Quote from: yereverluvinunclebert on March 30, 2012, 11:45:05 AM
Dr. Pepper! I don't think we ever had that over here, and Coca cola? isn't that the cleaning fluid made potable with the addition of gas, sucrose and a significant decrease in temperature? disgusting stuff unless you want to clean copper.

Matter of opinion, that.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

yereverluvinunclebert

Absolutely, but is the bit about it originally being a cleaning fluid an opinion, a fact or an urban myth?

yereverluvinunclebert

Also, on a brief sojourn from the topic, if you have something you really want to 'taste', you normally serve it up at room temperature as that is the temperature that your taste buds work well at, tasting for example, red wine.

If you ever have a foul liquid that you might want to disguise, carbonate it, add sugar (which everyone likes) and then serve it a low temperature which masks the actual flavour... sounds familiar? I could do this with my own feculance and it would taste quite acceptable.

Actually, I must give that go.

Uses for Coca Cola see here: http://members.tripod.com/barefoot_lass/cola.html

yereverluvinunclebert

@Captain Shipton Bellinger - some good ones there - I need a good biscuit, we already have salts though.

yereverluvinunclebert

John West tinned salmon, mackerel and sardines

yereverluvinunclebert

Crosse and Blackwell chutneys and picallili

MWBailey

Well, since you brought it up...

Quote from: yereverluvinunclebert on March 30, 2012, 02:44:09 PM
Also, on a brief sojourn from the topic, if you have something you really want to 'taste', you normally serve it up at room temperature as that is the temperature that your taste buds work well at, tasting for example, red wine.

If you ever have a foul liquid that you might want to disguise, carbonate it, add sugar (which everyone likes) and then serve it a low temperature which masks the actual flavour... sounds familiar? I could do this with my own feculance and it would taste quite acceptable.

Again, a matter of opinion. I wonder if you're lacking an refrigerator, and making up for the lack with a bit of spite...

About the cleaning fluid angle? Yes, several thousand people have recommended it for various uses of that kind. Oddly enough, almost none happened to mention that one should clean the sugary residue off of the cleaned object after use, or risk attracting various kinds of pests, both insectile and otherwise.  That kind of suggests to me that several thousand rather idiotic people just repeated something that some other people suggested, without ever actually trying it themselves.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Wormster

The only good thing to do with carbonated dark drinks is to mix it with "cooking" Burbon from the "old number 7 still"!
Tread softly and carry a GBFO stick!