News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Steampunk in the News- what the papers say...

Started by Siliconous Skumins, April 29, 2012, 12:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Dirigible

Sounds a bit like Mrs Wolowitz's Turbriscafil (Turkey stuffed with a brisket stuffed with Gefilte fish..)
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!

Abracabella

I don't think there is a post about this; if there is, apologies - please delete!

Steampunk has made it into the Sunday Independent (British Newspaper).

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/features/weekend-at-the-asylum-europes-biggest-steampunk-convention-heads-to-lincoln-9695726.html?slide_num=4&amp%3Baction=fullscreen#gallery-9700833

There is a great little write up featuring a few of my Steamy friends and others important people in the scene. They have given really good attention to detail, with some stunning pictures of costumes people have designed. I think the writer was quite impressed by what he/she saw, as the whole vibe of the piece is very positive. Hopefully more people will know what is going on now when we all walk around in our goggles!

Rory B Esq BSc

Just read the online link...now I've got to see if my local shop still has a copy...so many names I know from BG in it.

Miranda.T

Dear Abracabella,
Many thanks for posting up the link. A really nice article, and a timely reminder for me to stop prevaricating and sort out our outfits for this!

Yours,
Miranda.

Siliconous Skumins

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."

J. Wilhelm

I had forgotten to post about the article on Steampunk in the City of Austin, two weeks ago, by Dale Roe of the Austin American Statesman - August 8, 2014 online, and August 9 Saturday Edition (printed in the Lifestyles Section)...  In it, I was interviewed along with Sam Tyler, Kristin Vinson, Gretchen Von Eberstein, and Chet Philips, and the photographer, Ms. Laura Skelding, took some photographs of yours truly and corresponding paraphernalia at the Driskill Hotel (1886)  

Steampunk charges on. Movers, shakers and creators in Austin's scene carve out a niche.
By Dale Roe
www.statesman.com/news/lifestyles/steampunk-charges-on/ngwzD/

Photo by Laura Skelding for the Austin American Statesman. Copyright, 2014, All rights Reserved.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bwb2PqxIEAAtkm2.jpg

Sir Henry

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on September 01, 2014, 08:54:52 AM
I had forgotten to post about the article on Steampunk in the City of Austin, two weeks ago, by Dale Roe of the Austin American Statesman - August 8, 2014 online, and August 9 Saturday Edition (printed in the Lifestyles Section)...  In it, I was interviewed along with Sam Tyler, Kristin Vinson, Gretchen Von Eberstein, and Chet Philips, and the photographer, Ms. Laura Skelding, took some photographs of yours truly and corresponding paraphernalia at the Driskill Hotel (1886)  

Steampunk charges on. Movers, shakers and creators in Austin's scene carve out a niche.
By Dale Roe
www.statesman.com/news/lifestyles/steampunk-charges-on/ngwzD/

Photo by Laura Skelding for the Austin American Statesman. Copyright, 2014, All rights Reserved.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bwb2PqxIEAAtkm2.jpg
Premium content.  >:(

Any chance of a cut and paste?
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Argus Fairbrass

Quote from: Abracabella on August 31, 2014, 04:35:03 PM
I don't think there is a post about this; if there is, apologies - please delete!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/features/weekend-at-the-asylum-europes-biggest-steampunk-convention-heads-to-lincoln-9695726.html?slide_num=4&amp%3Baction=fullscreen#gallery-9700833

There is a great little write up featuring a few of my Steamy friends and others important people in the scene. They have given really good attention to detail, with some stunning pictures of costumes people have designed. I think the writer was quite impressed by what he/she saw, as the whole vibe of the piece is very positive. Hopefully more people will know what is going on now when we all walk around in our goggles!

And here's what they didn't say. I've gotta admit, I'm pretty damned appalled TBH. Not knowing anything about the event, I saw the article and did actually think, it's a truer representation than a bunch of nymphets in minimal clothing (I make that comparison purely because, once again there seems to be a glut of images of models in skimpy steam wear being constantly re posted around the interwebs. And once again some people are pointing out that's not as wholly representative of the community as the overwhelming volume of them might have some folks believe) but I still felt the article was not as diverse as it could have been. I read other peoples posts around and about that stated that, and they were often just told, well those are just the folks that were there (which seemed quite feasible).

Well no as it turns out, not at all! So what the bloody hell happened?

http://steampunkindia.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/diversity-in-steampunk-exclusion-from-inclusion/

BTW I want to make it quite clear I'm not having a go at you Abracabella, you're just the person who posted it, as indeed I did myself on Facebook.
Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

Siliconous Skumins

QuoteHundreds attend Europe's largest steampunk festival in Lincoln

More than 2,000 people are taking part in Europe's largest steampunk event.

The annual Lincoln festival, now in its sixth year, attracts people from around the world wearing pseudo-Victorian costumes.

The event, known as The Asylum, takes over the castle grounds and surrounding historic buildings for three days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-29173933
[Server Prayer]

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      My flesh is weak,

[/Server Prayer] 

oldskoolpunk

Quote from: Argus Fairbrass on September 06, 2014, 01:55:32 PMWell no as it turns out, not at all! So what the bloody hell happened?
After reading the Steampunk India site, which is very pretty but doesn't have much content, I'm not sure what happened either.

Ada Thorold

And the Guardian....

QuoteWeekend at the Asylum 2014: Europe's biggest steampunk festival – in pictures

Weekend at the Asylum is an annual gathering held in the cathedral city of Lincoln. Now in its sixth year, it has become the biggest steampunk event in Europe. Throughout the weekend devotees dress up in elaborate costumes, attend lectures, balls and markets, and compete in a variety of idiosyncratic sporting pursuits. Taking its inspiration from the technology of the Victorian era and the novels of HG Wells, Jules Verne and Mary Shelley, steampunk is a vibrant, imaginative and fast-growing culture. The movement's motto is simple: 'Be splendid!'
http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/gallery/2014/sep/15/weekend-at-the-asylum-2014-steampunk-festival-pictures-lincoln

~A~

Clym Angus

I feel it would be prudent to give (someone who isn't the person I thought it was) the right to reply on this one.

It would appear there has been a case of mistaken identity over the person talked about in this article.
It is NOT S.M.G. It was someone else. I stand corrected and retract my earlier statement.

Anyway, I was busy tripping the light fantastic with an absolutely ravishing transvestite at the time (he led).
Which is my standard response to sticky questions like these..... When in doubt, decadence.

Quote from: Argus Fairbrass on September 06, 2014, 01:55:32 PM
Quote from: Abracabella on August 31, 2014, 04:35:03 PM

And here's what they didn't say. I've gotta admit, I'm pretty damned appalled TBH. Not knowing anything about the event, I saw the article and did actually think, it's a truer representation than a bunch of nymphets in minimal clothing (I make that comparison purely because, once again there seems to be a glut of images of models in skimpy steam wear being constantly re posted around the interwebs. And once again some people are pointing out that's not as wholly representative of the community as the overwhelming volume of them might have some folks believe) but I still felt the article was not as diverse as it could have been. I read other peoples posts around and about that stated that, and they were often just told, well those are just the folks that were there (which seemed quite feasible).

Well no as it turns out, not at all! So what the bloody hell happened?

http://steampunkindia.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/diversity-in-steampunk-exclusion-from-inclusion/

BTW I want to make it quite clear I'm not having a go at you Abracabella, you're just the person who posted it, as indeed I did myself on Facebook.

Rory B Esq BSc

This has emerged from Reuters today
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/alice-steampunk-false-enigma-american-jailed-north-korea-020013329.html#s2aihdV

Is this the first time a person who is interested in Steampunk had been imprisoned for 'crimes against the state'?

Clym Angus

The insanest place on earth attracts other equally insane people...... Well, who'd have thought it?
The man's clearly playing a trumpet with his ass without a mouth piece and is going to spend the next 6 years in a mine as a result.

Congratulations! Your now officially an international incident!  

Sludge Van Diesel

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj

Clym Angus

Now, you all know I'm not (at the moment) that much of a press hound. Admittedly I've found myself aligning myself more with my persona these days "gadzooks! What would the lord of misrule do in this situation?" To be honest the entire title thing was more rubber-stamping my own particular flavour of mental dysfunction.

I'm doing it again. Diverging badly... Not the point. The point is have we not been getting the press recently? Or is this eddy on the quiet shores of the internet just not getting the posts of our wider glory?

Maybe it's just been a slow few months..... :D

Maybe the problem is we don't actually go out looking for press. If it arrives at the door we are of course kind and courteous. They can be a sword of Damocles.

oldskoolpunk

Quote from: Clym Angus on June 05, 2015, 06:46:42 PM
The point is have we not been getting the press recently? Or is this eddy on the quiet shores of the internet just not getting the posts of our wider glory?
Press interest in steampunk seems to have ended. The Clockwork Alchemy steampunk convention in San Jose this year generated zero news stories. This is the fourth year; the first time, there was TV and press coverage. This year, nothing.

J. Wilhelm

Must be a regional phenomenon.  Is it my imagination, or have we had a healthy influx of UK Steampnks into the forum lately? I wonder of there is any regional "tides" that can be correlated

Clym Angus

Who could dredge some nice graphs out of the forum?
I love a good graph, me.

Siliconous Skumins

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on June 11, 2015, 10:44:28 PM
Is it my imagination, or have we had a healthy influx of UK Steampnks into the forum lately?

The Whitby Goth weekend was at the end of April, so this is probably the result. While the WGW does still make the odd news item occasionally, it does tend to produce a massive load of new pictures on the net. New pictures on popular forums / social media = high hits in Google search results. So more people get exposed to the event every time.

Plus there are so many steampunks at WGW, and with some people unable to tell the difference, Steampunk gets a lot of UK exposure thanks to this.
[Server Prayer]

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      My flesh is weak,

[/Server Prayer] 

frances

Or is it that steampunk is no longer quite so fashionable as it was a few months ago?

Mr. Syson

Judging by the amount of photographers at this years Asylum I have a feeling no-one has forgotten about Steampunk. Quite rude some of them were too!

Clym Angus

Quote from: Mr. Syson on August 30, 2015, 09:18:52 PM
Judging by the amount of photographers at this years Asylum I have a feeling no-one has forgotten about Steampunk. Quite rude some of them were too!

It has been an on going issue. How was it best put? Ah I remember! By a socially prominent SP friend of mine: "You give them permission to take a couple of snaps then lo and behold they spend the next 20 minutes trying to shove their grubby little lenses down your cleavage or up your twat. Makes you want to put the boot in".

I will not name names as I am a gentleman and a ladies honor is at stake.