News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Steampunk in the News- what the papers say...

Started by Siliconous Skumins, April 29, 2012, 12:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Shipton Bellinger

Quote from: Mrs. Whatsit on June 21, 2012, 07:32:48 PMI've never heard of Bradford, UK before, but there are a lot of cities in the UK that escape me.  Is it really a Mecca for Steampunk?  or did the reporter just make this up?

Local newspaper, local slant. Pretty much wishful thinking and over-exaggeration by the reporter.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Capt. Dirigible

QuoteI've never heard of Bradford, UK before, but there are a lot of cities in the UK that escape me.  Is it really a Mecca for Steampunk?

Well..Bradford is a bit like Mecca....

What?? Too far??

I'll get me coat...
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Mrs. Whatsit

Quote from: Captain Shipton Bellinger on June 22, 2012, 05:43:41 AM
Quote from: Mrs. Whatsit on June 21, 2012, 07:32:48 PMI've never heard of Bradford, UK before, but there are a lot of cities in the UK that escape me.  Is it really a Mecca for Steampunk?  or did the reporter just make this up?

Local newspaper, local slant. Pretty much wishful thinking and over-exaggeration by the reporter.
Myth-busted by Captain Shipton Bellinger!
"Life, with its rules, its obligations, and its freedoms, is like a sonnet: You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself."

William hyde

" No doubt you're thinking to escape and save the day? Sorry old chap not this time."

neon_suntan

Quote from: Argus Fairbrass on April 30, 2012, 02:33:56 AM
I've still never been, but I was actually quite surprised when perusing WGW photo archives, just how long (what appears to be) Steampunks have been appearing there. Like this one from 2007, but I've definitely seen far older ones still.

Well i wasn't Steampunk then but waaay back 1995 when I was known as Kurtz i was Whitby Goth Fest #2

*Cue embarrassing photo*
Spoiler: ShowHide

Lt. Thomas Corvidae

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on May 01, 2012, 10:15:14 AM

A work colleague told me he saw my picture at Whitby in The Guardian. I said it couldn't have been me as I wasn't there.He said "Well it looked like you..your height, same moustache..Victorian frock coat and top hat" I had to laugh and say that description could fit  dozens of steampunks. It's like saying you thought you saw a Goth friend you knew because he had long black hair an ankle length black leather coat, skull t-shirt and New Rocks...it's practically a uniform!

Just read through the thread and found this simply too funny to not comment on. So do we really all look a like to the mundane folks?
"Can a magician kill a man by magic?" Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. "I suppose a magician might," he admitted, "but a gentleman never could."

Jedediah Solomon

Quote from: Lt. Thomas Corvidae on July 11, 2012, 04:01:56 PM
Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on May 01, 2012, 10:15:14 AM

A work colleague told me he saw my picture at Whitby in The Guardian. I said it couldn't have been me as I wasn't there.He said "Well it looked like you..your height, same moustache..Victorian frock coat and top hat" I had to laugh and say that description could fit  dozens of steampunks. It's like saying you thought you saw a Goth friend you knew because he had long black hair an ankle length black leather coat, skull t-shirt and New Rocks...it's practically a uniform!

Just read through the thread and found this simply too funny to not comment on. So do we really all look a like to the mundane folks?
Did the bloke have Goggles hanging from his neck? Maybe it was me!  Well, I wasn't there, but there is still some hope if I iron out the problems I had with my time machine.... I thought I fixed it next month!
Adventure awaits

frances

Where did the use of 'mundane' for the rest of society, come from.  Is it an offensive term?  Will someone please explain it to me.  Thanks.

Atterton

Calling others mundane helps make people feel special.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

'Mundane'  in this context is used in SF Convention terminology to represent the locals who point and stare at the fans. 'Muggle' is also starting to be used. There is a clique in SF fandom who really do not want wider acceptance of what they do by society. Fortunately they are not representative of the majority.
Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!

Lt. Thomas Corvidae

I began using it after hanging out with medieval folks (Society for Creative Anachronisms) and them calling anyone who was not them mundane. I use it mainly for the purpose of brevity, and mean no disrespect to anyone by my use of this term.

There are times when the mundane world seems attractive to me, but the rigors of time travel and air kraken hunting leave me little time for such thoughts.
"Can a magician kill a man by magic?" Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. "I suppose a magician might," he admitted, "but a gentleman never could."

von Corax

I have even used the term to refer to the non-Steampunk aspects of my own daily life, and to those parts of my self who are not Prof. von Corax. ;)
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Crescat Scientia

Quote from: frances on July 15, 2012, 11:01:01 PM
Where did the use of 'mundane' for the rest of society, come from.  Is it an offensive term?  Will someone please explain it to me.  Thanks.

It was current in the Society for Creative Anachronism in the 1970s, which is the earliest subculture usage of it I know of.  They used the word to refer to people and things outside the society with an admixture of pity, contempt, and superiority.

So yes, within subcultures it is used as an offensive term, if only a mild one.

Even outside of those subcultures it has overtones of the bland and boring.  It is not a neutral term.
Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying

von Corax

Quote from: Crescat Scientia on July 16, 2012, 06:29:02 PM
It was current in the Society for Creative Anachronism in the 1970s, which is the earliest subculture usage of it I know of.  They used the word to refer to people and things outside the society with an admixture of pity, contempt, and superiority.

So yes, within subcultures the Society for Creative Anachronism it is used as an offensive term, if only a mild one.

I have always used it inoffensively (see my previous post), to imply "ordinary," something which Steampunk is definitely not; I also infer this meaning in most other usage of the term, at least around here.

To express pity, contempt and/or superiority, I have a collection of much spicier labels! 8)
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Lt. Thomas Corvidae

Quote from: von Corax on July 17, 2012, 05:40:44 AM
Quote from: Crescat Scientia on July 16, 2012, 06:29:02 PM

So yes, within subcultures the Society for Creative Anachronism it is used as an offensive term, if only a mild one.

I have always used it inoffensively (see my previous post), to imply "ordinary," something which Steampunk is definitely not; I also infer this meaning in most other usage of the term, at least around here.

To express pity, contempt and/or superiority, I have a collection of much spicier labels! 8)

I'm with cousin Corax. I mean no disrespect or insult when using this descriptor. While those who I learned it from might, I do not agree with everything that they did or do and try to distance myself from them.  I present my most sincere apologies to those who take any offense to my usage of the term. But, we have gone waaay off topic now and sadly I have not found much recently to add to the original topic of the thread.

Someone do something steampunky in the full view of the public!

Crescat Scientia

Quote from: Lt. Thomas Corvidae on July 17, 2012, 01:57:23 PM
I'm with cousin Corax. I mean no disrespect or insult when using this descriptor. While those who I learned it from might, I do not agree with everything that they did or do and try to distance myself from them.  I present my most sincere apologies to those who take any offense to my usage of the term. But, we have gone waaay off topic now and sadly I have not found much recently to add to the original topic of the thread.

Someone do something steampunky in the full view of the public!

Then let us get back on topic.  Here is a photo gallery of a recent steampunk event near Sacramento, California:

-- Jessica Fortunato

-- Cole Porter

-- Old family saying

Crescat Scientia

-- Jessica Fortunato

-- Cole Porter

-- Old family saying

Sir Henry

Quote from: Mrs. Whatsit on June 21, 2012, 07:32:48 PM
I've never heard of Bradford, UK before, but there are a lot of cities in the UK that escape me.  Is it really a Mecca for Steampunk?  or did the reporter just make this up?
I live in Leeds, which is slowly joining with Bradford as they grow, and this is the first I've heard of it. But it wouldn't be surprising as the whole area grew massively in Victorian times, and was later too poor to fully modernise, so there is a lot of wonderfully steamy architecture and industry around. It also means that there is a large number of steampunks living within easy traveling distance who coordinate meetings (on this very board sometimes) whenever there is a suitable event/exhibition on, thus becoming more visible.

In conclusion - mostly wishful thinking, I suspect.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

Well Tim Powers was Guest of Honour at Eastercon 2009 in Bradford.
Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!

Aleister Crow

So... do I pray facing Bradford or not? I'm confused. :P
'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'

Lt. Thomas Corvidae

Quote from: Aleister Crow on August 02, 2012, 05:03:48 PM
So... do I pray facing Bradford or not? I'm confused. :P

I'd say pray to the closest Steampunk Holy site near you. Waltham, MA is one over in the US (or so I've heard). Though I know most of the folks in Tactile do their obligations to the "faith" at fleamarkets and jumble sales.

Mrs. Whatsit

Yum

Denver Post did a blurb on the Denver County Fair.  Pie eating and Steampunk.  I love both!

Link to the County Fair website Geek Pavillion
"Life, with its rules, its obligations, and its freedoms, is like a sonnet: You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself."

Captain Lyerly

A sadness:

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/12/05/chelseas-steampunk-loft-loses-the-steampunk-house-of-the-day/

QuoteNYC's Steampunk Loft Loses The Steampunk (House of the Day)

We loved the infamous "steampunk loft" in New York City's Chelsea neighborhood so much that we even filmed a video on it back in June (see below)! It was like nothing we'd ever seen: a little Jules Verne, a little nautical-chic, and wonderfully, excessively retro-futuristic and otherworldly.

Sadly, however, all good things come to an end, and we recently got word that our favorite steampunk pad was no longer, well, steampunk. It has been stripped of all its multicolored, quirky decor (including zeppelins, whirligigs and antique welding tools, among many other steampunk-genre artifacts and collectibles), and it has been re-listed after going through a make-under.

It's all gone!!!

:'(

Chas.
Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"

arkaya

Not really news, but a steampunk mention in popular culture that made me smile...
I can't find the clip, but in The Simpsons, the episode 'The Book Job' some of the main cast write a fantasy book, and at one point homer says "I just hope we put in enough steampunk...what ever that is" :D
It is at about 11.40

Captain Shipton Bellinger

The independent has picked up on the IBM prediction that Steampunk will be the next big thing.
Perhaps unremarkably, the photograph accompanying the article harks back to the start of this topic.

Here's the Indie's tips for 'Steampunk chic':

It isn't cheap but if you want to get the look, here's our guide:

Headgear Toppers, bowlers, veils, and even ball masks
Coats Military trenches and greatcoats
Jackets Double-breasted, pin-stripe suits with waistcoats
Shirts For her, the chiffon blouse; for him, collarless
Underwear Bustles, corsets and petticoats
Dresses Mix and match velour, velvet and lace
Trousers Jeans make the look less severe
Shoes Spats, platform lace-up boots from cut-price fashion chains
Accessories Goggles are a must, as are opulent brooches and pocket watches. Mobile phones can be "Victorianised"

No mention of of frock- or tail coats?

Double-breasted pin-stripe suits? Steampunk? Oh my! It seems that they have yet to discover Dieselpunk.  ;D

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)