News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Steamy Steampunk Buildings

Started by MarcusJuliusCroft, May 04, 2012, 11:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusJuliusCroft

Thank you, I did not expect such a quick response,  Here are a few pictures from my home city of Melbourne,

I am what I am because I am, an Entrepreneur, Villain, Student and Mastermind

MarcusJuliusCroft

Ooops Forgot to ask what you think :)

MarcusJuliusCroft

And if you think that's a bit plain.  This might cheer you up.

James Harrison

I particularly like that image.  Maybe it's how the light streams down from the ceiling, maybe it's because it shews the enfilade to good effect; whichever it is it just illustrates the nature of the internal space a lot better than the first-floor image above it. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Mister P

For me, one candidate has got to be Bazalgette's pumping house, east London. See: http://www.crossness.org.uk/

Astalo

I like Finnish version of jugendstil and art nouveau architecture. It was built to last and they used a lot of stones, thick walls and other castle like details etc. There was a lot of great looking buildings in the old days, but the general style turns more simpler after the WW2 and now they construct mostly some boring looking concrete & glass boxes.  :P

There you find great pictures from older times, before they modernise all the bigger cities in here and demolished half of the good old stuff.. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1043953

Probably most well known finnish jugendstil building in nowadays is Helsinki central railway station:
http://www.toinenlinja.fi/fi/00282
http://www.hydrodry.fi/sites/hydrodry.fi/files/Kuva_rautatieasema.jpg

This old hotel near my home town is also quite delightful, because of that huge round tower. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Imatran_Valtionhotelli

MarcusJuliusCroft

Just realised, if you look up steampunk buildings on google, it will come up with Brassgoggles, and if you look at the link below, it is this thread!

MarcusJuliusCroft

Some more to add to the ranks

I by no means own this pictures so all rights go to the photographers.

That should do it for now!

MarcusJuliusCroft

Capt. Dirigible

QuoteIn any case, It's hardly Addams style.

The railings aren't sharp enough.

Are these?

This is Stephen King's house. He had those railings commissioned.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

von Corax

I see no images, Mr. Croft.

I nominate the post-Napoleonic Palmerston Sea Forts in the Solent off Portsmouth, England (Spitbank, St. Helens, Horse Sand & No Man's Land), as well as Guy Mansell's WWII Army Forts in the Thames (Nore, Red Sands & Shivering Sands) and Mersey (which probably also had names.) Maunsell's Thames Navy Forts (Rough Sands, Sunk Head, Tongue Sands & Knock John) might also qualify.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

MarcusJuliusCroft

What!  Sorry Von Corax, the images were working before but must of stopped between me putting them and you viewing them

MarcusJuliusCroft

MarcusJuliusCroft

And this.  Hope they all work,

MarcusJuliusCroft

Here are a few from one of my favourites

Mercury Wells

Barton Arcade (Manchester)*

*Not the best selection of photos :(

Cardiff has a number of "proper" Arcades (can't seem to find any decent photos either)
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Matthias Gladstone

Quote from: von Corax on May 08, 2012, 11:51:51 AM
I see no images, Mr. Croft.

I nominate the post-Napoleonic Palmerston Sea Forts in the Solent off Portsmouth, England (Spitbank, St. Helens, Horse Sand & No Man's Land), as well as Guy Mansell's WWII Army Forts in the Thames (Nore, Red Sands & Shivering Sands) and Mersey (which probably also had names.) Maunsell's Thames Navy Forts (Rough Sands, Sunk Head, Tongue Sands & Knock John) might also qualify.

I sail past them on a fairly regular basis - up close they're stunning, very evocative of the tripods out of the war of the worlds.
Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/

von Corax

Quote from: MarcusJuliusCroft on May 08, 2012, 12:55:12 PM
What!  Sorry Von Corax, the images were working before but must of stopped between me putting them and you viewing them

It seems to be just the walkingmelbourne.com images that aren't showing inline for me, although I can paste the URLs into a new window and open them individually. Is anyone else having this problem?

MarcusJuliusCroft

Von Corax, are any of the pictures I put up good, or are they the wrong type of thing?  Just wondering if I need to fuel the boiler and start pumping pure steam into the chamber.

Capt. Dirigible

Quotevery evocative of the tripods out of the war of the worlds.

Except the sea forts have four legs and therefore won't fall over if they tried to walk... ;D

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Mercury Wells

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on May 09, 2012, 03:45:01 PM

Except the sea forts have four legs and therefore won't fall over if they tried to walk... ;D

Um...err...ok Ive worked it out... ;D They're mutated Tripods. (I think we got away with that explanation)
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

von Corax

Quote from: MarcusJuliusCroft on May 09, 2012, 12:03:16 PM
Von Corax, are any of the pictures I put up good, or are they the wrong type of thing?  Just wondering if I need to fuel the boiler and start pumping pure steam into the chamber.

As far as I can tell, all the images are good. It's only the ones hosted at walkingmelbourne.com that don't show up for me, so it's possible that they don't allow their images to be cross-linked or something.

von Corax

Quote from: Mercury Wells on May 09, 2012, 04:17:50 PM
Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on May 09, 2012, 03:45:01 PM

Um...err...ok Ive worked it out... ;D They're mutated Tripods. (I think we got away with that explanation)

Actually the four-legged tripods are from Venus. Or possibly Phmebe.

MarcusJuliusCroft

A few more, needs more dark wood

von Corax

It's definitely a problem with Walking Melbourne. That's the only one of the above photos that didn't show up immediately for me.