News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Steamy Steampunk Buildings

Started by MarcusJuliusCroft, May 04, 2012, 11:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sphinx

I know I'm late to the party but my vote goes to the Petersham Hotel. Replace the weathervane with some manner of evil lightning rod, find yourself an Igor and you're in business. There's a great picture here. http://www.foodepedia.co.uk/articles/2011/dec/petersham_christmas_menu.htm I've also been enamored with Battersea Power Station for quite awhile. Development plans have come and gone but alas, my dark little heart gets broken every time. Currently Chelsea Football Club is threatening to trash the place. I honestly hope they don't manage it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Battersea_Powerstation_-_Across_Thames_-_London_-_020504.jpg

Dave Leppo

Jedediah Solomon

Adventure awaits

Capt. Dirigible

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 10, 2012, 12:48:18 AM

5. The Littlefield House outside of the Univ. of Texas at Austin (© 2007 (CC) Larry D. Moore)

Oh that place is fantastic. I've seen it before but not in such a  great picture..
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on July 19, 2012, 08:09:09 PM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 10, 2012, 12:48:18 AM

5. The Littlefield House outside of the Univ. of Texas at Austin (© 2007 (CC) Larry D. Moore)

Oh that place is fantastic. I've seen it before but not in such a  great picture..

Yes, I've used that picture several times (desktop background for my steamed laptop).  The building has passed through several hands including a sorority, fraternity and now it's used as an office  :-\  Although I believe the place is well maintained by the university.  Note the red hand-carved limestone blocks mixed with fired brick (a type of coral-limestone which is almost extinct now in favour of yellow limestone in Texas -a consequence of marine transgressive-regressive cycles during the Phanerozoic, Cenozoic and Paleozoic eras).

Lieutenant George Washington Littlefield was an important financial contributor when the university was founded in 1883, and being a former Confederate soldier he had a reputation for being eccentric.

Legend has it that he made his servants illuminate the garden at night from the second balcony for fears of a new Yankee invasion  ::) He instituted the rule that all main entrances to college buildings and statues should face the south!!!  The rule was rescinded later in the 20th. C. but as a result we have a lot of South-facing entrances at the university!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Littlefield_house_2007.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Littlefield

MarcusJuliusCroft

Victoria Barrackes and Fort Nepean

I am what I am because I am, an Entrepreneur, Villain, Student and Mastermind

MarcusJuliusCroft

James Harrison

I really love the sense of drama and occassion the Victorians and Edwardians managed to design into the spaces inside their buildings; their use of double height spaces, wide arch spans, rich materials, elaborate carvings harking back to an earlier age.... something that today tends to be costed out by jobsworth accountants at the 'sketch' stage of the design. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

elvisroe

Here is Sydney there are plenty of great old buildings but one of my favourite locations is the Glebe Tram Sheds.

It's where old trolleys went to die after motoring lobby groups brought an end to the light rail network.  It's a popular haunt for the homeless and the artistic.

It's a great fusion of old and new and is a favourite location of edgy photographers...

elvisroe

Another great location is the White Bay Power Station overlooking Sydney harbour.

It was used extensively in Baz Lurhman's recent Great Gatsby shoot and looks great inside!

I really want to shoot a short film in there one day!

elvisroe

And while I'm on a roll....

The old Galdesville Pychiatric Hospital down the street from me boasts some fantastic old Victorian ruins amid still functioning sandstone buildings.

The old garden folly is beautifully overgrown these days.  It looks like a ruined church and boasts a small arched stone door cut into the rock wall at the rear... I'll get some pix of my own down there one day soon.

There's also an old ruined stair in the bush that leads to nowhere... This is the only pic I could find but it's beautiful and very spooky!

MarcusJuliusCroft

A few more, and like I said at the beginning all rights go to the people behind these photos.  I have not taken any of them,  They have just been reposted from interesting websites I have found.

MarcusJuliusCroft

MarcusJuliusCroft

MarcusJuliusCroft

Dave Leppo

Inflatable Friend

the covered slip #3 at Chatham Dockyard has always done nice things to me - Awesome space!

chironex

Boggo Road Gaol Museum:

The development of the complex from Victorian times to the closure on the completion of the new prison is painfully obvious. You can see newer parts just stuck on.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

MarcusJuliusCroft

MarcusJuliusCroft

MarcusJuliusCroft

MarcusJuliusCroft

I have decided since I have exhausted efforts in buildings, to begin adding features and objects I would find in a steampunk city.  I invite anyone to add anything they please, as long as it is appropriate.

M.J. Croft

Drs. Zut

These should be included in the collection I think:
1. The "Cathedral" from one of the most steampunk movies made the 1995: "The city of the lost children" by Jeunet & Caro (if you have not got  the dvd  already go and get it). In 2005 this piece of the set apparently still stood on the backlot of the Pathé Joinville Studios in France:

The Neverwas Haul which qualifies as both a house and a vehicle:

von Corax

Hmm... D'you suppose that Cathedral set could be disassembled and moved? ;)
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Arabella Periscope

Quote from: James Harrison on May 04, 2012, 06:27:42 PM
That is one odd-looking oriel window.... I do like it though *steals idea for own portfolio*

As an architect of -- what would you call your style? -- you might enjoy James Gurney's website.  He illustrated 'Dinotopia,' which has the amazing Waterfall City in it, and he travels the world sketching arches and unique corners of buildings.  He reports that there are plaster models of many such features in museums around the world which have outlived the structures themselves. He incorporates these ideas in his paintings.  A really appealing style called Imaginative Realism which looks a lot like your drawings of concepts.

Dinotopia 'First Flight' includes a lot of machinery that looks like ultimate Steampunk to me.
Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'