News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Bar In The Middle of The Multiverse (General In-Persona Chat)

Started by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz, May 29, 2012, 05:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornelius Nightshade

The door opens and Cornelius Nightshade enters, he stops looks around with a slightly confused look on his face. Then enters, being followed quickly by an exquisitely lovely young Chinese women. She takes the tall Englishman's hat and coat hanging them up, then gracefully moves just behind Nightshades right shoulder as he strolls to the bar on the far side of the room.

Nightshade chooses a table were he can sit with his back to the wall and offers a clear view of the room and the exit. The woman arrives at the table seconds behind with a brandy for Nightshade. She lights a cigar for him before going back to the bar to return to him with a cup of tea for herself.

After looking over the other patrons Nightshade leans over to his companion and whispers something in Chinese that causes the woman to burst into a light almost musical laughter.

On the far side of the room a man with a strange stringed instrument begins to play and the room goes quite. As the music plays one of the bars patrons, in the garb of an airshipmen makes his way over to Nightshades table. After a brief exchange the man sits and the two start conversing in hushed tones.

Cornelius Nightshade

After several minutes the airshipmen hauls himself to his feet and returns back to his original seat, at a long table with half a dozen of his shipmates. Nightshade keeps the group in his sight as he pretends to converse with the woman beside him. Then the airshipmen all get to their feet and start moving to the door. One of them, a towering giant of a man with a colt tucked into his belt looks Nightshade in the eye as he dons his hat and gives a slight nod. A satisfied smile crosses Nightshade face as the group heads out the door. Then visibly more relaxed he sends his lovely companion to the bar for a another drink.

It was then that the brawl started. A women dressed in brown leather had left the small group she was with to get a fresh drink. Two other male patrons who clearly had to much to drink made a rather clumsy attempt to get the women to join them. One of them foolishly put his hand on the girl. Small she may have been but wicked fast too. The drunk never saw the sharp low blow that buckled him and sent him tumbling back into a table of card players.

The offended card players were on their feet as the drunks friend came to his friends aid. Once you tip the first domino its amazing how fast the others follow suite. The maelstrom in seconds engulfed the room into a sea of fists, chairs and bottles.

MWBailey

the air, or rather the universe, at the end of the bar split in half from ceiling to floor, and out stepped MW Brantley, brown airshipman's coat, tweeds, and all, the butt of the broomhandle Mauser poking from under the coat under his left shoulder. In his hand, he carried the standard black, button-bestudded "brick" type of Chronojumper travelling device, trailing tendrils of what looked like miasmic, glowing bluish fog. He ducked a thrown bottle, shoved two drunkenly-grappling combatants aside, and surveyed the room. Calling back over his shoulder, he said, "Keep Milady Chthuga there, will you Sally? No need to set another barroom ablaze..." the slit in the uiniverse closed a moment later, as Brantley surveyed the chaos before him.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Professor Phineas Brownsm

as the pub brawl flares up with the ether from all around, The Professor puts down his knife and fork after finishing the steak, Sits back with hands behind head and thinks to himself..... "shall i get onto the farnsworth to the XO of The Queens First and only Lost Fusiliers?"....
Experimental Master Brewer - The Infamous Ginger Brau Emporium

Cornelius Nightshade

Nightshade with the unerring instinct of a true survivor acted swiftly. He pushed the table he was sitting behind over lifting it up by the base to shield himself and Ling behind. Moving back into a corner of the room to safely cower in till this nonsense worked itself out.

From the relative safety of his cowering spot Nightshade saw one of the men by the entrance grabbing a shot gun from the weapons rack by the front door. Getting lower to the floor with Ling safely behind him Nightshade pulled the derringer he kept in his coat pocket wondering if he and Ling should make a run for the door. After the shot gun was fired of course.

Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz

Fritz immediately leaves the bar as soon as the fighting starts. He had come here to get away from all the fighting, and the violence was beginning to stir troubling memories in his mind. Quietly, he sneaked out of the bar, hoping he would find another more peaceful dimension.

MWBailey

He seldom used the Magenta Toggle; he preferred to work through an incident or affair and then leave it without resorting to anything more overt than the usual persuasion, subversion, or manipulative bargaining -- or violent action, but that only when other avenues became blocked.

It was in the interest of the avoidance of excessive violence that he pushed that seldom-used toggle, thus irising open another hole in the fabric of spacetime, which opened one-way into the massive Processing Cell in the Holding Cellblock, Incidental Brawls subsection other Incarceratory Division of the A.U.N.T.S.A.L.L.Y. Intratemporal Regulatory Agency. by one, threes and various numbers of several individual at once, he lured, shoved, cajoled and tricked the fighters out o f the room, disarming the shotgun wielder by holding the Mauser to the back of his head and taking the weapon from the man when he handed it to Brantley in lieu of being brainshot. He shoved the man through the opening after disarming him, and then closed it with an opposite flip of the same toggle.

"Well, that takes care of that," Brantley said wryly, as he surveyed the now-quiet, but wrecked, barroom.

Cornelius Nightshade

Standing in the small narrow side street in San Franciscos Chinatown, Nightshade looked back at the brick wall with some confusion. Their had to be a door, he and Ling had just used it!

More perplexing then that, just what had that stranger done to end that little war?
Not that Nightshade wasn't happy to find the distraction he needed to get himself out of their. The next time someone suggested that place for a meeting Nightshade would counter with a much safer place like the bottom of San Francisco bay!

Still, it would be nice to mark the place in his mind for the purpose of never going in their again!
After a running his hand along the spot on the brick wall he was sure he had walked out of finding nothing but brick, Nightshade brushed the dust from his hands and started down the street. It was almost morning and the evenings business was not yet done. As Nightshade quickened his step, Ling hasten to follow.

steamcowboy92

Talon laughed as he laid about him with his chair in the midst of the brawl, having not had this much fun since he'd last visited "The Mended Drum". Somewhere in the melee, a man opened a space time portal just as another man knocked Talon backwards out the window to land in a heap outside...

Dusting himself off, Talon jauntily whistled as he began walking away from the now dead bar, twirling his new table leg/walking sstick as he did.
I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.

MWBailey

(OOC: It was my original intent to have the Incarceratory Division send the miscreants back, as they would not be considered threats to spacetime; Brantley as a sort of "timecop" character is always getting chewed out by Sally the director, anyway, for his excesses and *ahem* 'creative' interpretations of intertemporal law. I must say, I'm a bit perturbed by the apparent determination to believe and expect the worst of my motives.)

In the bowels of a huge warehouse somewhere in the waterfont district of a Chicago wherein airships ruled the sky and another bar sported a brass automaton barkeep, the Duty Sergeant of the  Incarceratory Division of the A.U.N.T.S.A.L.L.Y. agency was about to pop a vein.

"So it was Brantley that did all this?" Sgt. Antoinette Von Bolt grumbled as she cradled her nightstick, which had just been broken in an altercation with the brawlers that had just recently been sent into the Holding Cellblock. She finally snapped. "These people aren't a threat to spacetime, even if Her ladyship Cthuga was en route to the same location, and they sure ain't haulin' intertemporal contraband! Send 'em back!"

"Sarge?" the guard on duty at the Shunting Boards gaped at Von Bolt in shock. Brantley was practically a legendary figure in the agency, and known to be High Director Sally Kemmermann's fiancee; going against his actions or orders was not an action undertaken lightly.

"You heard me, The Director'd say th' same thing. She herself dresses 'im down practically every mission he goes on, he's always steppin' over the line." The sergeant went on after a couple of calming breaths, "these people 'll be more tainted with experiential information if they stay here, than if they're sent back through the travel circuits again!" Von Bolt walked over to the Boards and entered a set of numbers and alphanumeric coordinates, traced the coordinates of origin, and yanked down the sending toggle. "There. Enter it as my personal action in the logbook."

------------------------------

Across the vast reaches of spacetime and interdimensional flux, another portal irised open just as Sally, Cthuga, and Brantley sat down at the chessboard in front of the fireplace.

"Oi, thought yer got rid o' us, didn' yer!?" one of the drunks roared as he advanced on Brantley while reaching over and snapping the leg off of an overturned table...

After seeing the brawl calm down and dissapear.... The professor puts his farnsworth communicator away and laughs to himself, once all his affairs are in order for that evening he heads to the "other" door at the back which leads him to London and hopefully his next crazy heis..... Adventure.

Lucius Baxter

"Well that was fun!, Happened so dang fast...'ats why I don't play cards often."
2nd lieutenant in his majesty's Royal Flying Corps

MWBailey

Nonchalantly and rather offhandedly, Brantley drew a very wicked-looking aetheric blaster, and flamed the wooden chair leg to cinders in a flash of excited energy. The would-be attacker howled and dropped the remains of the erstwhile makeshift cudgel, his hand flailing about as though it were a fish and smoking slightly.

"You are lenient, cousin," burbled the words from deep somewhere within the mass of fiery tentacles that comprised the head of the Lady Chthuga, in a surprisingly dulcet and cultured voice. "remember thy lineage and smite this upstart, I abjure thee."

The fact that a chthuloid entuity was currently of a size to wear very fashionable evening dress and come off well doing so, cou0pled with the voice made the atmosphere in the room oddly novel...and rather smoky, as the wallpaper and the chair's upholstery began to smolder...

"Cousin, your control," Brantley admonished his companion, as Sally offered her the contents of her cigarette case.

"Smoke?"

Mercury Wells

"The "Megenta Toggle"...a mythical device thought to have been created by minds immeasurably superior to our own, aeons before the Multiverse* was even thought of." Those words rose unwanted & unbidden into the mind of the young gent. While he watches with horror, his thoughts continue..."Not even Moorcock and his crack Team of MVal Heroes had ever observered one...in action. Only the aftermath".

Grabbing the nearest beer mats, he rapidly rips them apart and tries to draw what he has seen plus the sights & sounds he's experienced. He then colapses into his chair and the only words readable on the beer mats are "IT IS YELLOW!!"

*now abbrev. to MV.
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

MWBailey

'thuga, Sally, my dears, the locals are going all yellow cornball again," Brantley said after ambling over an going down on one knee to examine the torn and scribbled beer mats. "Sally, hon, could we activate the Causal Field Dampener? I'd hate to burn down the bar or start a mass altercation of madness, no matter how bad the barfight gets."

"Of course, dear," Sally said, as she pulled an odd golden locket on a chain from its resting place on the lace front of the ample bodice of her evening gown. Flipping it open, she manipulated a series of tiny toggles and turned a pair of diminutive dials, and abruptly the wall paper stopped smoldering and the patrons stopped milling aimlessly and ceased to froth at the mouth, soon resuming the brawl that had erupted only a short while before...

*walks on the front door* "hang on a minute... I've only just walked out the back door of this place!"
*walks out "the other back door" again.*

Dr Smithson

Jonathon walks through the door, his cane shifting bits of debris out of his way.
   "I think I took a wrong turn somewhere, this isn't my lab." He says as he takes off the steampack with its rifle and sets it by the door. "At lest I don't think its my lab." He walked over and sat down at the bar. "Wine please." He dig through the multiple pouches he carried on his belt and dug out the basic components of a rifle scope as well as a few others and began to tinker with it muttering under his breath.

(Ooc: He did go through the door to his lab he just didn't turn off a machine that opened a rift in space-time.)
Quote from: Lady Antonia on April 04, 2013, 02:50:02 PM

SAM:I think we need to explore whether this attempted murder was a hate crime.

GENE: What, as opposed to one of those "I really really like you" sort of murders?

Cassandra Sheffield

It's hard to unwind when people around you insist on stressing you out.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -Jayne Cobb (Firefly)

Cassandra Sheffield

OOC: My apologies. My computer suddenly went berserk and wouldn't let me type anything, and I accidentally clicked 'post'.

BIC: Cassandra Sheffield walks through the door, looking disgusted. It wasn't her fault the engine needed a new coupling, now was it? She couldn't fix it without a new part, but the captain was too stingy. She suddenly snapped back to reality, noticing the wreckage of the bar. "What in the 'verse happened here?" she muttered. Of course she would arrive right after a brawl. It would have done her some good to be in one, the mood she was in. Too late to start one now, though. Instead, she chose a corner table and sat down. "Just some bacon and scrambled eggs. And milk." She smiled as the food appeared- she hadn't had a real breakfast for too long. On board the Bluekeel, the food all tasted like dust and rusty gears, and the only drinks were alcohol or water. While she was eating, she brooded. Suddenly, a small smile tugged at her lips as a thought occurred to her. Why not leave the Bluekeel? She usually thought that the highest betrayal a person could make was to their ship, but seeing as she was never very loyal to it anyway, this was hardly a betrayal. The old bolt-bucket wouldn't even know she was gone. Cassandra's smile widened- she would buy a ship! An old one, and fix it up until it knew her properly. She surveyed the patrons of the bar, wondering if any of them could (and would) sell her a ship.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -Jayne Cobb (Firefly)

MWBailey

Brantley gets up from the table he shares with Sally and Chthuga. "all right, m'loves," he said, "you want a lemonade sour," he asked Sally, "and you wanted Tonic and apple cordial?" he asked Chthuga. Sally confirmed it and squeezed his hand, admonishing him to hurry back, while Chthuga sent her flames out to caress his besuited form as the goddess confirmed the order; the flames only warmed and did not consume.

He walked over to the bar, close by where Cassandra was seated, and ordered the ladies' drinks, and ordered himself pint of stout. "You look a bit all in, Miss," he said to Cassandra, noticing her for the first time. "Are you all right?"

*walks back in through the front door* "my goodness..... Again?" Prof. Phineas says to himself, "I think I shall have another pint!!" wanders to the bar and leans up against the bar thinking how on earth the back door always leads back to to the entrance......

Lady Chrystal

##A loud whooshing noise outside is followed by a dull thud that rattles the door and windows.##

Door opens and a slim figure slips through.

"Hello everyone. Been a bit busy lately. Anyone know what the date is?"

Chrystal walks over to the bar and scans the bottles at the back.
"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."

Cassandra Sheffield

Cassandra looks up at Brantley in surprise. "Hm? Oh, I'm fine. I was just thinking about buying a ship- you wouldn't know where I could find an airship for a decent price, would you?"

MWBailey

"All sorts from all over and all time come in here," Brantley observes. "somebody's bound to be selling at some point. We came by blackbox, so even if we had a ship, it's nowhere near here - wherever 'here' actually is. There's a general advert board over there," he gestures in the general direction of the fireplace, "next to the fireplace. Mind you don't step on the Dodo, though, he tends to resent it. Er, and there's the proprietor's pet pteranodon around somewhere -- he's harmless, he just cadges drinks and tries to steal the checkers"

Brantley looks in Chrystal's direction and says, "It's about three parsecs past yesterday, next week. Time flows a bit differently in here, so regular reckoning is whatever it is wherever you just came from."

Cassandra Sheffield

Cassandra looks a bit puzzled by the explanation of time and space, but nods. "Thank you- I'll put up an advertisement as soon as I write one. Er, did you say a pet pteranodon? Aren't they all dead?" She fiddles nervously with her welding goggles and takes a look around, not sure if she's hoping to spot it or not.