News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The definitive goggles thread volume 2

Started by Stella Gaslight, June 22, 2012, 03:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IGetPwnedOften

Very nice - I like the rings in the strap, and is that a light or a laser I see on the side...?
"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."

IGetPwnedOften

Oh yes, these turned up today...

WW1 pattern Wehrmacht gas goggles...  ;D
"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."

Herbert West

Quote from: IGetPwnedOften on February 04, 2014, 11:23:20 AM
Very nice - I like the rings in the strap, and is that a light or a laser I see on the side...?

Thank you. I do hope to light it up later, once I gain some knowledge of basic electrical wiring.
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

BaronMiguel

My first set of "Made them myself" goggles.....with a bit of instruction from Thomas Willeford ;)    Planning to make a few more sets of lenses in different colors with different laser etched designs and possibly turning the brass down a bit on the lathe to cut down on the weight.
Yes, in fact....I do have all the coolest toys!

http://creativelycompulsive.wordpress.com/

Herbert West

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

Herbert West

Ever since I made my first goggles, its driven me mad trying to come up with a way to hold the end of the strap neatly in place, since I can't sew leather to save my life. But then I finally came up with a solution. All it took was a $2 brass strip from the hobby shop, a pair of needlenose pliers to bend it into shape, and a dremel to cut it loose. It clips neatly onto the headstrap between two rivets, and ta-da! Huge improvement.

Pretty basic, but I thought it might be helpful for other beginning goggle makers.

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Herbert West

And another pair done for a friend. I usually don't like using gears for decoration, but I thought the design looked too plain without something on the sides, and I had the cogs handy.

Also recently found that 6mm rubber hose makes for passable trim around the eyes. Certainly better than me trying to sew on leather ones.

Herbert West

Since I was sick as a dog back in February when I first made this pair, I promised the owner I'd revamp them for him if he'd return them. Heres the finished product.

Basically plastic rings, rubber tube edge trim, and painted power cord for the light.

Kevin C Cooper Esq

Sir Boris Cogsworth

Herbert, you make the best goggles I've ever seen!!! super impressive!
Days... Weeks... Months...

Herbert West

Quote from: Sir Boris Cogsworth on May 05, 2014, 08:22:58 PM
Herbert, you make the best goggles I've ever seen!!! super impressive!

You're too kind. Thank you sir!

frances

I love the clockwork key on the side.

Susannah

Hi all - having searched e bay and etsy I am still stuck for inspiration.

what I am looking for is too things.

Some handmade leather goggles to go with a loosely western outfit,

And also some goggles that are much more lady like to be worn with a green 'victoeian skirt and too' set. Probably with a coachman hat. All this brass goggles just seem to heavy for a lady and I really would like to find something a little unique. Any ideas?

Regards

Susannah

frances

I know just the chap for you.  Nip over to the Great Kentspectations page and ask for a chap by the name of Arnaud.  That is exactly what he makes.  The nice coloured ones are in faux leather.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157135971083452/

Susannah

Thank you. I am waiting to be approved for the kentspectations page. I shall let you know how I get on
Susannah

Cpt. Vanderstorme

OOops i've been gone! I see you guys havent waited for me, good!

Here's pics from my latest steampunk!|

There's more at my page^^

frances

I like that black collar thing you are wearing.  Very smart.

skyranger

Hi all. I'm looking at doing an airship captain outfit for an upcoming con. I have some generic looking cosplay goggles from ebay that I'm going to mod. I'll be replacing the nylon strap, probably with a skinny leather belt if I can find one at the thrift store and just riveting it into place or something like that. what I'm unsure of is what exactly I want to do with the casing and lenses to give it an aircaptain feel. I was looking at some plumbing pieces at a hardware store and think I can put something together but what's the best way to securely attach heavy metal parts to a cheap plastic pair of goggles? will contact cement do the trick? I'd like something that looks like a telescoping lens on one side and i'm not sure what on the other side. open to suggestions

Herbert West

Well its been a few months since I had the compunction to build something, but I needed a pair of lightweight goggles to wear outside of conventions, so I whipped these up in a couple of evenings using a standard $3 pair of welding goggles, brass strip, and some small Idea-ology monocles from the craft store. The lens arms do flip up thanks to a drop of Threadlock that kept the bolts from coming loose.

The handles need a touch of clear varnish, but otherwise they're finished.

Smaggers

Late Birthday pressie:

Royal Flying Corps Mk2 pattern or a reasonable facsimilie thereof.
The MK2s were manufactured between 1916 - 1933, though some companies carried on after that date. Some WW2 pilots used them as they preferred them to the later standard issue models.
"I should probably finish one project before taking on another, but the badger won't fit in the freezer." -Steamblast Mary

http://smaggers.deviantart.com/
http://www.bongofish.co.uk

Herbert West

Looking good sir!

Nice to finally see some activity in this thread.

Colonel Hawthorne

I finished some new ones recently:

My earliest goggles were made from PVC plumbing fittings.  There are advantages; they're light, and the material is easy to work with.  But I wanted some 'proper' ones and, having acquired a box of large brass curtain rings and observing what two of them together looked like, I embarked on the above.

It turns out the rings aren't brass, they just look like it.  In fact they're a really hard metal that (mostly) defeated my attempts to drill small holes in it.  I handed it over to a gentleman at work who owns a drill press; it nearly defeated him too, but we eventually ended up with two rings with the required holes.  The side pieces I cut out of an old lamp fitting.  The lenses are from 'mad scientist' glasses one can obtain from one's local emporium of cheap rubbishy toys.  The cover for the more interesting eyepiece (I like asymmetry in my goggles) you'll probably recognise as another lamp part, and the 'bulb' is part of a cheap LED torch, which I find diffuses the colour-changing LED built into the left lens in a most satisfactory fashion.  I'm not convinced about the clock part in the middle.  It looks like it should at least move but it doesn't.  Ah well - these things are never really 'finished', are they?

Now of course Wifey wants a pair too ...
Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?