News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The definitive goggles thread volume 2

Started by Stella Gaslight, June 22, 2012, 03:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maets

Herbert West

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

Herbert West

Decided that my oldest pair of goggles needed a rebuild. So I added side vents, remounted the large magnifier, replaced the simple chain between the eyepieces with a brass strip noseguard and gave it a good clean up.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

Maets

Colonel Hawthorne

Splendidly wrought, Mr West.

I particularly like that they're shiny, but not too shiny.  You look after them, but they have seen service.
Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?

Herbert West

Thank you for that. I've learned to use weathering and aging a lot more sparingly lately. In this case I gave most of the metal pieces a light buffing with a Dremel buffing head and a dab of car polish.

elShoggotho

Always depends on the kind of aging. I like a good torch job. Here's a new pair, leaning more on the post-apocalypse side.

Herbert West

Nicely made. It's good to see someone out there is still making goggles.

CrazyLee

Ah, I was planning on posting some pics of goggles I had bought pre-made online and have slightly modified. But this seems to be a thread for people who have made their goggles completely from scratch (or modded stock goggles). Am I in the wrong thread?
The gears on the airship go round and round, round and round, round and round....

walking stick

Don't worry, we're not snobs about Steampunk.  Everybody shares their enthusiasm regardless of experience levels.
This thread and its predecessor we have making plastic look like weathered metal and many other tips that I find useful.
Your own process not only shows what you are doing but it may inspire someone else. 

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: CrazyLee on September 13, 2016, 01:29:03 AM
Ah, I was planning on posting some pics of goggles I had bought pre-made online and have slightly modified. But this seems to be a thread for people who have made their goggles completely from scratch (or modded stock goggles). Am I in the wrong thread?
Quote from: walking stick on September 13, 2016, 11:54:14 AM
Don't worry, we're not snobs about Steampunk.  Everybody shares their enthusiasm regardless of experience levels.
This thread and its predecessor we have making plastic look like weathered metal and many other tips that I find useful.
Your own process not only shows what you are doing but it may inspire someone else.
Please do post your pictures, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested and as walking stick says we are most definitely not snobby here. Post away my friend, post them piccies.

Stella Gaslight

Quote from: CrazyLee on September 13, 2016, 01:29:03 AM

Most of mine are salvaged or purched and i think they are in this thread, post away
I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

CrazyLee

Okay.

I bought my goggles on Ebay from a guy out of Florida who runs a shop called pro-steampunk. He has an ebay store, a website, and a few other things... I'll post links here.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pro-steampunk?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
http://www.ebay.com/usr/mazgarage?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 <-- this is his second ebay store, you can tell it's him because the header is the same
http://www.pro-steampunk.com/

His goggles are a bit on the pricey side but he hand paints and details every one of them, so I understand the price. When I ordered one off of him, I picked the ones I liked the best and asked him if he would be willing to add details from other goggles he had on sale. He said he didn't normally do custom jobs, which is odd because his store says "hand made to order" which implies he custom makes them to order. But whatever. He originally quoted a higher price for the custom order, but then took a decent amount off of the final price. A pretty pleasant guy to work with, although I'll say he's a little slow to respond and talks in an odd way over email.

So, now for pictures of the goggles. The brown thing is my deerskin leather gloves, which was keeping them from tipping over.

A closeup of the gears:

Just recently I created a little LED thing to make the magnifier glow. It's an LED soldered to a cr2032 holder. The tape on the end is just masking tape, it diffuses a rather bright LED beam. This fits to the goggle lens.

The goggles are a bit heavy, so need a good hat to put them on. Also, notice the clamps on the goggles. Originally, the goggles came with radiator hose clamps, which are common with online steampunk goggles but I absolutely think are very un-steampunk. So, I found these very nice clamps on Ebay, from a seller in Arizona. I don't know if he sells internationally. But the clamps are lighter and a vast improvement.
Here's his store: http://www.ebay.com/usr/wsx7918?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Also, the nice thing about these is they came with spare lenses (clear and shade), spare caps and stuff. So I can modify them in many different configurations, with the giant magnifier, without it, with the gear lens or without, or clear so I can see through them.

Some things I'd like to do to these in the future include adding a leather strap instead of the non-period spandex strap. I'd like to put padding around the edges of the goggles, similar to aviator goggle padding. And I'd like to do something with that LED attached to the outside of the magnifier funnel, it looks a bit out of place. I would like to replace it with something. Any suggestions on any of these, like leather straps, or padding, would be great!
The gears on the airship go round and round, round and round, round and round....

Herbert West

Love the detail. Well done!

With one of my heavier goggles, I found that hiding some lead weights under the back of my hatband helped counter balance things.

Weights courtesy of Harbor Freight.

josecou

I put together this pair of goggles super last minute for a masquerade ball event. I was pretty happy with how they turned out, considering I cranked them out in a couple of hours. You can see the hot glue in this pic, but the event was pretty dark, so I didn't mind.

MichielH

I have no outfit yet (still putting it together, only have a jacket so far), but i have started on my goggles.

I still want to add some stuff to it:
- Radio-lamp (correct name?) which i want to try and light up with a led (i was thinking a RGB-led, one that changes color as time passes).
- A magnifier similar to the one CrazyLee posted (still needs to arrive), but i am considering removing the led-light on the side completely
- A mesh circle on the other goggle, but i haven't figured out what to use for this yet.

walking stick

Quote from: MichielH on July 08, 2017, 10:06:55 PM
I have no outfit yet (still putting it together, only have a jacket so far), but i have started on my goggles.

I still want to add some stuff to it:
- Radio-lamp (correct name?) which i want to try and light up with a led (i was thinking a RGB-led, one that changes color as time passes).
- A magnifier similar to the one CrazyLee posted (still needs to arrive), but i am considering removing the led-light on the side completely
- A mesh circle on the other goggle, but i haven't figured out what to use for this yet.

Look in hardware  and dollar/pound shops  there are some interesting shapes cheap, e.g. sink strainers, non slip mats, slotted spoons.

MichielH

https://vimeo.com/225684368

Cool! or over the top? I could replace it with a single color led.

Caledonian

found this in a montenegrin souvenir shop. had to buy.
it's very plastic, sadly
Passion is like a Peatfire