News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The definitive goggles thread volume 2

Started by Stella Gaslight, June 22, 2012, 03:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stella Gaslight

Years ago I hot some swiss army goggles as a gift from a friend and got all the paint off and wore them as sun glasses until another friend wanted to barrow them to take on a journey around the world.  she tried to mail them home from greece and someone decided to steal them.  So when I found some more at teslacon I had to get them and pretty them up.  I chose green because quite a bit of my steampunk wardrobe is in green and because black blends in my hair too much.

In green and gold
Spoiler: ShowHide

Showing off the velvet cup liner.
I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

Ocelot

So, I finally got round to making myself a pair of goggles :)
I cheated a bit by having some bits made on a 3D printer though, don't judge me too harshly :D

A lousy photo but it shows what the wires are for...  The LED on the left, or 'port' side is red... :)

They're not quite finished, I need to make a battery holder and have some way of covering the wires, but they're wearable at last!
"It just...  Sort of...  Came off."

Capt. Dirigible

3D printer or not, they're very cool...as is using a 3D printer in the first place.
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Maets

Prof_Jonas_M_Richards

And now for something a bit different

The difference between Mad Science and Super Science is the quality of the man enacting it. I like to think that I'm a Mad Scientist for Justice.

Lachlan_MacAuslander

Version 1.2 - haven't had time to work on 2.0 yet...  Glued the loupe back on (twice... need to get some epoxy), added a bit of brass mesh and a gear as a sighting reticle, and redid the leather strap so that I can wear them either as goggles proper, or use them as a hatband.

Nathaniel Flood Harwick

I made my first pair of goggles today! A little bit of a rush job so they're pretty simple and the quality of my work isn't stellar, but I still really like them. They're for a steampunk masquerade next weekend.

Too many ideas, not enough time.

Drew P

That design is actually pretty good.
Maybe dirty up the brass a bit to hide the 'rush job'?  ;)
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Ian Mcbean

I realize that this is not the absolute best place to post this, but, alas, the goggles thread seems to have closed. Anyway, here goes: For reasons I'll not go into, I must wear eyeglass, rather than contacts. Plus, I am very near sighted. I'm looking for a way to make an (obviously removable) monogoggle type thing that will fit over one lens of my glasses. Any suggestions? 

Drew P

Hmmm..., someone just recently posted in the goggles thread so I think it's ok,but as far as a mono on top of glasses that might be a tad challenging. The added weight and the need for strapping of sort might mean that you would also have to strap your glasses too. Just something to think about.
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

DreamHazard

Quote from: Ian Mcbean on April 15, 2013, 09:47:07 AM
I realize that this is not the absolute best place to post this, but, alas, the goggles thread seems to have closed. Anyway, here goes: For reasons I'll not go into, I must wear eyeglass, rather than contacts. Plus, I am very near sighted. I'm looking for a way to make an (obviously removable) monogoggle type thing that will fit over one lens of my glasses. Any suggestions?  

A lateral headband strap would be a good place to start, you could have the monogoggle suspended above your glasses, so your head takes the weight of the device rather than your specs. Alternatively if you can get a cheap pair of spare glasses, you could craft something directly to the frame, though this would be more difficult and costly.

ADDENDUM-------------------

Another thought, you could get some of those hideous half-face welding goggle things (the ones that look like your eyes are a brick with lenses attached), cut it in half, attach the strap all the way round, and craft something shiny based on this. The advantage here is that you can comfortably wear those welding goggles over glasses, no bother.

Ian Mcbean

Thanks folks. I will soon be getting new glasses, so I will check out my options. As to the goggles thread, perhaps there was a problem with my signal. although I pressed reply several time I got no response. Again thanks.

Capt. Dirigible

Perhaps you could make something along the lines of a doctor's 'head mirror'.

A strap around the forehead with a monoggle lens attached that folds down to cover the one lens of your glasses?
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Drew P

^oh,you smart-excellent idea!^
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

DreamHazard

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on April 15, 2013, 05:33:54 PM
Perhaps you could make something along the lines of a doctor's 'head mirror'.

A strap around the forehead with a monoggle lens attached that folds down to cover the one lens of your glasses?

Ah! A perfect example of what I meant by a headband strap :)

Steam Titan

All very cool. The biggest issue I run into with goggles is my complete dependence on wearing glasses. The normal style of goggles simply do no fit over most glasses meaning I need the fuller type. Been experimenting with some ideas. One thing might do is just form slits for the bridge of the glasses to fit into and such

elShoggotho

Here's my latest attempt on gogglery.

Drew P

Those are rather steamy :).

The wee little bit I may suggest-and of course you can ignore me or call me an idiot-the brass rivets on the strap appear too new compared to the frames.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

IGetPwnedOften

A quick snap of the goggles I'm just finishing off for my three year old daughter, Katie the Rocket-Powered Fairy Pirate.

They started life as an old pair of pink swimming goggles that were due for the bin as the straps had perished, so while I was waiting for some other parts to dry I made these out of scraps I had kicking about on the bench. The hearts on the straps were her idea  ;D
"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."

frances

Aw! pink lenses.

You were about to throw something away?????

IGetPwnedOften

Good Lord no! The missus was about to, and then asked me if I could anything with them first.

I think she's getting the hang of this Steampunk lark  ;D
"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."

frances

:D

yea, yea, blame her indoors for it!!

FirstMateLane

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibelieveinluck/9015225683/
Made my old welder goggles into functional 3d goggles!

septango

made from an old cake tray, two bottles, canning lids and a strap from an old army helmet

the only tools used where, a rock, a nail, a ratchet head, and a board

I think they have a cool worn out look to them

(if you want I can take a better pic I just had this one offhand)
Oh, I remember this place from when I first arrived....
I wandered alone but somehow survived...