News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The definitive goggles thread volume 2

Started by Stella Gaslight, June 22, 2012, 03:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herbert West

Someone take this screwdriver away from me!

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

IGetPwnedOften

To separate you from your screwdriver would be a travesty sir  ;D

On the subject of the strap, that's a lovely job, and I'd also say that having the brown leather provides a nice contrast against the black of the hat - it looks great, might as well show it off...
"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."

Herbert West

Thanks very much sir.

Strangely, I'm having a hell of a time trying to find sheets of clear red plastic (I want to cut out circles to slip behind the eyepieces). I remember when the stuff was commonly sold as slip covers for folders in the office supply section. Now, nothing.

Wore these to Steamcon over the weeked, and recieved a fair  number of compliments on them. A very nice feeling.
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

Sludge Van Diesel

Quote from: Herbert West on October 28, 2013, 07:10:30 AM
Thanks very much sir.

Strangely, I'm having a hell of a time trying to find sheets of clear red plastic (I want to cut out circles to slip behind the lenses). I remember when the stuff was commonly sold as slip covered for folders. Now, nothing.
Try finding your local mobile disco equipment shop.  Look for lighting filter gel.  Comes in sheets of varying sizes & colours.
Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj

IGetPwnedOften

I buy sheets of coloured acetate from my local hobby supply shop, or I have 3mm acrylic disks cut by Jon at Cog O Two.

Herbert West

Guess I should go out shopping later today. Sadly our local hobby shop closed down about a year ago, so I'll have to travel further afield.

I was dissapointed that none of the dealers at Steamcon had etched or colored goggle lenses for sale. I know I've seen them in the past.

Its a great con, but the dealers room always tends to lean too heavily on clothing dealers and jewelry, with very little in the way of metal bits and accessories for us creative folk.

Herbert West

Well I managed to improvise a pair of red lenses. While at the store I stumbled across $3 sets of clear plastic picnic plates in various colors. They're very brittle plastic, but I traced out a circle, cut them out with my Dremels cutting disk, filed down the rough edges, and ta-da,  a perfect pair of sexy red lenses. :D

woutar

Quote from: Professor Elliott on November 27, 2012, 06:47:44 PM
Finished these today. Made from an old pair of Dolland of London binoculars...

DAMM! Those are some fine lookin' goggles!
A shower can make barbarians gentlemen.
Might have happend to me......

woutar

Got my first goggles delivered today (wouter, you lazy bastard) also my first peice of sp equipement Ever! Yet it's Just a boring neurtal Black one, as i like my stuff to Come in Black ^.^ Nice stuff here by the way

woutar

Quote from: IGetPwnedOften on June 23, 2013, 09:49:27 PM
Here's a set of goggles I threw together for the missus the other weekend. Nothing special about them apart from the fact I converted them in under an hour (not including paint drying time).

And illuminated (you know me and LEDs ;D)

The reason I made them so fast is because we needed them for an event the following day, and I still had a bunch of other stuff to do.

One of these days I'll get around to making a proper set of goggles...

Goggles with leds? Awesome! Kinda reminds me of the night vision goggles from Sam fisher in the splinter cell games, once a gamer....

Cassandra Sheffield

I just received my first-ever pair of goggles as a birthday gift! They are very plain, but I am nonetheless ecstatic. The only issue is that I can't fit them over my glasses, so they're confined to my forehead and neck. Still... ;D
It's hard to unwind when people around you insist on stressing you out.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -Jayne Cobb (Firefly)

Herbert West

Quote from: Cassandra Sheffield on November 26, 2013, 06:05:51 AM
I just received my first-ever pair of goggles as a birthday gift! They are very plain, but I am nonetheless ecstatic. The only issue is that I can't fit them over my glasses, so they're confined to my forehead and neck. Still... ;D

Nothing wrong with that. A lot of us use our goggles as glorified hatbands. :)

Let us know if you mod them.

woutar

I miiiight be using my first pair of goggles as luck token for difficult tests....school go home

woutar

Quote from: IGetPwnedOften on September 08, 2013, 06:45:31 PM
My son's new clockwork goggles:

I've posted more details, pics, videos etc over in the Tactile forum.

Showed this to my friend, they almost fainted, i want somethin' like that so badly! Seriously! So beautiful!

Cassandra Sheffield

Quote from: Herbert West on November 26, 2013, 08:57:42 AM
Quote from: Cassandra Sheffield on November 26, 2013, 06:05:51 AM

Nothing wrong with that. A lot of us use our goggles as glorified hatbands. :)

Let us know if you mod them.
I probably will do something to them- I also got a little box full of clockwork bits.
It's hard to unwind when people around you insist on stressing you out.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -Jayne Cobb (Firefly)

IGetPwnedOften

Quote from: woutar on November 26, 2013, 10:17:34 AM

Showed this to my friend, they almost fainted, i want somethin' like that so badly! Seriously! So beautiful!

Thanks, I appreciate it  ;D

Herbert West

Quote from: woutar on November 26, 2013, 10:17:34 AM

This. The motorized gears are absolutely stunning.

woutar

anhurset

Some of the goggles that I have made recently...

These are a mix of men's and women/teen (different nose piece widths), made of 7-8 oz vegetable tanned leather and use standard 50mm goggle lenses.

Herbert West

Those are great!

Speaking as someone who can't seem to get the hang of leather working, my hats off to you.

Maets

anhurset

Thanks guys. These started as a way to make use of some of my scrap material that was too small for most of my projects, but too big to feel right about tossing.

IGetPwnedOften

Nice job. They look quite comfortable too, with the shape of the bridge.

anhurset

I strove for comfort with this design, I've mostly abandoned the taller/higher coverage bridge though, as it's difficult to form and doesn't fit everyone well.

Herbert West

Nothing fancy, just a pair I put together for a friend who surprised me with Steam Powered Giraffe tickets a few weeks ago. Having the flu while I made them didn't help either. :P

I did warn him that I might want them back to add more detail once I'm feeling better. :)