News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Steampunk Student Society

Started by Adelaide Blake, July 13, 2012, 11:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Coral Lesong

Hello fellow Steampunk students. :) I'm a second year law student and its hard going at times. I use Steampunk to distract myself from those anxieties. Now, onto the topic at hand. There are a few students at the university I go to that introduced me, in a round about way, to Steampunk. They introduced me to Steam Powered Giraffe. However, there is no formal Steampunk society at the university and most people I talk to stare at me like I have three heads when I bring up Steampunk things. They cannot comprehend it at all. Oh well, they're missing out on all of the fun. :)

CloudWolf

year 11 steampunk, doing gcses then on to college in sept to do engineering. unfortunately automatons isn't in the engineering syllabus :(
Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.

DikkeVetteVlinder

Hello! Game design student here. I'm currently in my third year and loving it. Ironically, I hardly game anymore, since I started doing this. In the bits of free time I have, I'm mostly drawing, painting, 3D modeling or fighting with Illustrator. And now, due to the things I have seen on this forum, attempting some prop-making will be added to that list as well ^^

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: DikkeVetteVlinder on May 13, 2015, 03:05:44 PM
Hello! Game design student here. I'm currently in my third year and loving it. Ironically, I hardly game anymore, since I started doing this. In the bits of free time I have, I'm mostly drawing, painting, 3D modeling or fighting with Illustrator. And now, due to the things I have seen on this forum, attempting some prop-making will be added to that list as well ^^

It's almost like saying that you can't see the forest, because you're too busy modelling the trees  ;)

Quote from: CloudWolf on March 23, 2015, 05:59:03 PM
year 11 steampunk, doing gcses then on to college in sept to do engineering. unfortunately automatons isn't in the engineering syllabus :(

I disagree.  I wholeheartedly disagree.  There are many type of automata, both hardware and software (two very different things, yet conceptually the same).  It's just that the public preparatory educational system hasn't given you any details about what specifically automata are in engineering.... or much about engineering for that matter.

My suggestion is pick one area (e.g. robotics, artificial intelligence, mechatronics, etc. that you like and stick with it.  You will find soon enough in the next year or so where you belong.

CloudWolf

i've never heard of mechatronics, i'll look it up
Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.

J. Wilhelm

DikkeVetteVlinder

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on May 17, 2015, 07:06:00 AM
Quote from: DikkeVetteVlinder on May 13, 2015, 03:05:44 PM

It's almost like saying that you can't see the forest, because you're too busy modelling the trees  ;)

And drawing them. And painting them. And- yeah I see your point : D

Banfili

Serious long-term, life-long scholar about to begin the process of adding yet another piece of parchment to my wall decor. Mixed MPhil (preparatory to PhD, Archaeology & History) in Megalithic Irish Tombs, specifically court tombs of Ireland & SW Scotland!