News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Mornington Crescent too

Started by elShoggotho, July 24, 2012, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madasasteamfish

Having been to the latest market I find myself in possession of a new Overcoat, and heading back underground I find myself at Angel.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Madasasteamfish

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Banfili

Bit difficult from down here, but, nothing ventured ..., and applying the 1908 Antipodean Rules - Northern Line to Euston

Banfili

Then, according to my London Rail and Tube Map of 1952, on the Northern Line and leap to Mornington Crescent.

However, I am unsure ....

elShoggotho

Professor Wychlock, your judgment! Myself, I'm pretty sure that your choice of anachronistic tube map would render your move wibble.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: elShoggotho on April 06, 2015, 07:11:57 PM
Professor Wychlock, your judgment! Myself, I'm pretty sure that your choice of anachronistic tube map would render your move wibble.

Cluck, cluck. Gibber, gibber. My old man's a mushroom etc.

Madasasteamfish

So, who's going to start this next round off? (I assume we can safely start a new round now).

Anyone?

Banfili

Curses! (In a ladylike manner, of course!)
My London underground map is on my other computer, at home, on the far side of the world!

Cubinoid

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on May 05, 2015, 09:59:08 PM
So, who's going to start this next round off? (I assume we can safely start a new round now).

Anyone?

Goodness! A new game! Okay, I'll start us off then, but I warn you: I go for aggressive opening moves.
Starting us off with: Wimbledon

There we go!
We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

Madasasteamfish

And we're off; I play my opening move at

High Barnet

James Harrison

And I choose to play Praed Street.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madasasteamfish

Ah, interesting opening gambit. But one which allows me to progress to Great Portland Street

Clym Angus

Great Portland after Praed Street? Isn't that move illegal?
Oh no I'm sorry you posted that in MAY didn't you? My mistake I do apologise.

I would do Tottenham Court road but there's no alighting at the moment so technically it's out of bounds.
(so much to remember with this bloody game it makes Magic the gathering about as complicated as snap.)

Ok....... Tube strike Wednesday Thursday so I'd better get a move in quickly here;

West Hampstead.

Madasasteamfish

It was legal at the time I posted (just). However, thanks to the lack of progression since means I must now miss a turn, in accordance with the 1856 and 1935 bylaws, and the anniversary statute means I'm stuck until after the strike action has been resolved.

Bugger.

Clym Angus

So you are sir! So you are. BUT given the correct rules of progression we need at least one other.

Mornington Crescent with 2 people is like playing Monopoly with 2 people: long-winded and ultimately unsatisfying. We await the third!

As an aside, my wife (seated next to me - with a glass of wine in one hand and a pointed stick in the other) says she doesn't recognise Bugger Station. Please excuse her - she is a statistician by profession and doesn't fully appreciate the randomness of our little jape.

Madasasteamfish

I do concur Sir. Ah well, may as well have a drink while I'm waiting.

c\_/ c(___)>

Deviette

Which set of rules are we playing this time? Is it the same as before, or are we introducing Hunter's rules as in the famous 1962 match between Taylor, Cooke and Moore?
Either way I'm going to play it safe and go for a slightly sideways move with Paddington

James Harrison

Unfortunately I too am currently hamstrung, by the 1952 Dudley Cook- Peter Sellers- Dudley Moore ruling, which means I can only move to a point within two statute miles of the last move, which means within two miles of Paddington.  Therefore I play Marylebone.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madasasteamfish

Excellent. Now play is picking up a bit and we've attracted some new players I'm free to move. Although being hampered by a tea set, and bursting for a pee means I must find 20p and a station with public lavatories. I therefore move to King's Cross St Pancras and miss a turn while I empty my bladder.

Mercury Wells

Embankment...(just for the sheer bloody mindlessness of it all!).
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Banfili

Charing Cross - at least it's on the right line, and making it easy for the next move!

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock

Well chuff my cogs and call me Matron !!!!
The extra fine cut rough shag pipe tobacco obtained from that funny looking chap that smelled of bonfires fairly rendered me insensible!
One strong cup of Assam later and I'm wide awake and bushy tailed and find myself at Marylebone
"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."

Madasasteamfish

Ah, that's better blessed relief.

Hmm Marylebone. I'm going to huff you there sir and play Bond Street

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock

Huffed on my first go of this round - good gracious me !!!

I'm nearly choking on these words as I say them but according to the 1972 post modern (*ach* *cough* *gasp*)  ruleset, which I realise is a little sketchy in places, the huffing of another player currently north of the Thames and at a station beginning with M or N, actually and in reality, dehuffs the player and allows them to speed forth and double speed. Hence to Elephant and Castle ....... damn it, overshot!
"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."

Deviette

Ooo gosh, huffing being played. Not a fan myself, such limited options to play (I'm glad I didn't play afterwards, I always mix up the rules on what you can and can't play).

You've forced me to go with Earls Court, not the move I wanted to do  :-\