News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Mornington Crescent too

Started by elShoggotho, July 24, 2012, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Harrison

Quote from: Newchurch on September 10, 2012, 01:34:41 PM
I believe I am no longer Perivaled?  Does that help?  I rather suspect it may worsen the situation.

Quite correct on the first count.  On the second; it would have worsened the situation had the next move been north, toward Aylesbury, Amersham or Verney Junction.  However, the next move was to Queensway, to the west; so the game can continue unimpeded.   
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock on September 11, 2012, 10:26:10 AM
Vox Cerae !!!
a crafty little move that one!

To which I shall respond with  Victoria

And to which I shall respond by moving along to, Embankment
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Captain Shipton Bellinger

I do hope you ladies and gentlemen will forgive my bursting in at this juncture. My study of the 1898 rules, while fairly exhaustive, is only theoretical; however...

It seems to me that a combination of; (a) placing a cerise token to cover Monument & Bank, (b) invoking the Tannenbaum Amendment (as further elucidated by Tollemache et al), (c) shunting the Tower Hill puce token to Baron's Court (thereby cancelling out the white feather an enabling a Reverse Venturi Tunnel) and (d) calling in the Blackfriars periwinkle token to bring Moorgate back into play would allow an enterprising soul to bull straight through to

Mornington Crescent.

My apologies if this conjecture is incorrect; I will admit this is a highly unconvential sequence but I have checked and re-checked and can find nothing to prevent this move. I was a little concerned about the Reverse Venturi, but it does indeed seem to be valid.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

elShoggotho

CHAIRTHING! We need a verdict on that one.

Vox Cerae

By Jove, He was able to pull it off.. THREE moves sooner than I had prepared for! I do suppose all is fair. Well met, sir.

I must reparate: Nothing morally decent happens after midnight.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Vox Cerae on September 11, 2012, 06:43:16 PM
By Jove, He was able to pull it off.. THREE moves sooner than I had prepared for! I do suppose all is fair. Well met, sir.

Damn, and only TWO moves before I had planned to use my time machine to arrive there last week.

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Newchurch

Congratulations sir!

I feel exhausted from the sophistication of that splendid closing move.  Well played!

James Harrison

Having studied and studied and stared and studied some more all through the night, I can find no reason why Capt. Bellinger's move is illegal. 

So....

We Have A Winner!
Congratulations Sir!
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

elShoggotho

As customary, the Captain will now provide the rules set the next rubber is played by.

Captain Shipton Bellinger

Phew. Mr Harrison had me on tenterhooks there - I thought perhaps he'd spotted something I had missed.

As I have said, my knowledge of the rules is almost entirely theoretical, but there are one or two little gambits I would like to try out if the opportunity arises, so you may be seeing more of me in the game.

However, back to the sport! I think we'll continue with the 1898 Great Central rules again, but with the addition of the Asquith Addendum - which opens up immense possibilities for double-mensing on the mainline stations.

All set? Here we go, a nice easy one to start us off...

Regent's Park

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

elShoggotho

I'll go for a nice and easy start.

Victoria

Madasasteamfish

And I replicate my earlier transition to Embankment

Alexis Voltaire

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on September 14, 2012, 06:37:00 AM
And I replicate my earlier transition to Embankment

According to the french translation of the Asquith addendum appendix concerning replication, I believe this will allow me to use the inverted mirror gambit and step to Waterloo.

Though it puts me at risk of Neek should anyone use a double jump, I shall collect the extra 2 1/3 lavender tokens and Catherine Wellesley's autograph.
~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~

James Harrison

I'll start from Chalfont & Latimer.

Adelaide Blake

Congratulations on a splendid win Captain.

If i may, I shall start with Liverpool Street
Lady of the modern era. Historian in training. Seamstress.

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock

Well goodness gracious me !
That last round was over whilst I enjoyed a short repose after taking tiffin.

Stoke the boilers and swiftly on to Harrow-on-the-Hill
"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."

James Harrison

Which neatly allows me to get to Canning Town.

Newchurch

That was a devious and intelligent move.  After much considered reflection, I shall counter with a progression to Royal Oak.

Will you join me there for a porter or IPA?

Desirae

Though I still find myself locked in a game of reversi with a bum, which has ramped up ever since my ill-advised winkle gambit, I should like to enquire if it is still possible to pay a blue-purple token and start at Tooting? Apologies if this is incorrect, I appear to have misplaced my copy of the Asquith Addendum, and so am playing from an unreliable at best memory.
How do I know you're not a figment of my imagination?

James Harrison

If you start from Tooting, Desirae, I can go direct to Charing Cross without having to reverse or spend a turn in Nidd....

Madasasteamfish

I see your tooting cross, and raise you King's Cross St Pancras

Newchurch

Not too obvious I hope:  British Museum

Desirae

Quote from: James Harrison on October 26, 2012, 09:59:40 AM
If you start from Tooting, Desirae, I can go direct to Charing Cross without having to reverse or spend a turn in Nidd....

Oh dear, I had feared that someone might've tried that, but I had no option but Tooting. However, I believe that I shall indeed spend this turn in Nidd as I finish off this wonderful game of reversi.
How do I know you're not a figment of my imagination?

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Newchurch on October 26, 2012, 05:28:49 PM

I am sorry to interject with a request for adjudication, but I always thought the tube stop for the British Museum was Russel Square.

In the meantime, I'm off for a jaunt to St. Pauls

Newchurch

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on October 26, 2012, 06:06:13 PM
Quote from: Newchurch on October 26, 2012, 05:28:49 PM

I am sorry to interject with a request for adjudication, but I always thought the tube stop for the British Museum was Russel Square.

In the meantime, I'm off for a jaunt to St. Pauls

I'm ready to stand corrected, but British Museum tube station was closed in 1933, and so I believe it is eligible under the Great Central Rulebook, assuming that we're including Blake's Commentaries as the definitive guide (and if we're not, we've already hit the platform conundrum).

This is obviously going to affect the next move, but I'm sticking to my guns on this, and so it's Chancery Lane.

Chairthing:  Is this right, please?